Hybrid cars - is it worth the switch now?

Meecar

Tesla gave up Singapore because of our govt. Look how embarassing our LTA looks when PM Lee has to receive a call from Elon Musk.

Tesla has proven to be successful in bigger countries. If Tesla going to setup shop in Malaysia, let's see whether Ah Loong face hide where.

Currently, a Malaysia company is importing limited unit for experiment.

even malaysia is very different from singapore. maybe within kl city if they swtich on their ac when they drive. like to be proven wrong that electric car can work in our environment hahaha
↡ Advertisement

even malaysia is very different from singapore. maybe within kl city if they swtich on their ac when they drive. like to be proven wrong that electric car can work in our environment hahaha

Please go & read up on electric car.  You have no idea what you are talking about.

For all friends n readers interested in Hybrid cars, pls take note.

The actual arf paid might not be the same as the OMV. There was rebates for hybrid cars by LTA quite some time ago already. So when comes to calculating the depreciation, pls be extra careful. 

Just my 2cents worth.  :yeah-im-not-drunk:

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/confirmed-tesla-model-s-p100d-does-0-60mph-24secs

Tesla Model S P100D 0-60mph in 2.4s!

Tesla gave up Singapore because of our govt. Look how embarassing our LTA looks when PM Lee has to receive a call from Elon Musk.

Tesla has proven to be successful in bigger countries. If Tesla going to setup shop in Malaysia, let's see whether Ah Loong face hide where.

Currently, a Malaysia company is importing limited unit for experiment.

Elon Must is a believer in climate change, most of his biz are related to it. He is not for burning coal and fuel.

With a government that gained alot from coal, fuel, LPG and related, not easy to break into a market like this...not a bad thing if u don't believe in climate change or if climate change is hoax.

or maybe there are other issues why Tesla cars are not in Singapore yet.

Edited by SWUBIZ

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/confirmed-tesla-model-s-p100d-does-0-60mph-24secs

Tesla Model S P100D 0-60mph in 2.4s!

Elon Must is a believer in climate change, most of his biz are related to it. He is not for burning coal and fuel.

With a government that gained alot from coal, fuel, LPG and related, not easy to break into the market...or maybe there are other issues.

I just saw Model X on Sunday.  It is a beautiful car.

Unlike HK, Sg don't give tax break (in any form) to Tesla owner. 

How to sell when the Model S is USD 100k & Model X is USD 80k?

By the way, Toyota had launched fuel cell hybrid call Mirai. 

I just saw Model X on Sunday. It is a beautiful car.

Unlike HK, Sg don't give tax break (in any form) to Tesla owner.

How to sell when the Model S is USD 100k & Model X is USD 80k?

By the way, Toyota had launched fuel cell hybrid call Mirai.

u mean this one?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Mirai

strong contender against Tesla...but I find Tesla design is better.

Yes.

I don't think it is strong contender against Tesla with the lack of hydrogen refilling station.

It is would be better if it is a plug-in hybrid.

I like what Honda introduced many years ago...Honda Clarity

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_FCX_Clarity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OX5_ELUNPs

Combining hydrogen and oxygen in fuel cell to produce electricity. The only by product is water. Pretty cool to me ;)

http://www.caranddriver.com/tesla

Tesla 3 model is more affordable

Edited by SWUBIZ

I always felt Singapore would be a perfect fit for electric cars like Tesla that has 300+km range. Sg small enough to set up the required infrastructures quickly and these cars have enough range to last most at least a few days without having to recharge daily. Self drive system should work well due to we'll defined lanes except maybe tuas area.

Of course, this scenario is excluding politics and money earned from petrol.

NBz, saw a petrol vezel stick on a hybrid sticker. Can park Hybrid lot liao lor?!

Frankly, I'm not sure those shopping mall management will ever go chk on those cars that park at the hybrid lots unless someone complain.

I always felt Singapore would be a perfect fit for electric cars like Tesla that has 300+km range. Sg small enough to set up the required infrastructures quickly and these cars have enough range to last most at least a few days without having to recharge daily. Self drive system should work well due to we'll defined lanes except maybe tuas area.

Of course, this scenario is excluding politics and money earned from petrol.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/singapore-budget-2015-rise-in-petrol-duty-but-drivers-will-enjoy-road-tax-rebates

correct me if i'm wrong, base on the article, for every litre of petrol, u are tax abt $0.56 - $0.64...that's abt 33% tax. so for a 95 at abt $2/L, the actual cost u are paying is abt $1.50, while the rest is tax. and maybe at the petrol company level, there's another layer of tax for them?

that's a lot of revenue with abt 1 million vehicles (600000 private cars, 400000 others).

Edited by SWUBIZ

That's how the MIW creatively calculate CEVS and road tax based on power when there is no ICE. Die die must tax you Alternatively gao gao. I ordered the Model3 but seem like can scrap the idea as my annual mileage is only 10,000+km.

(edited)

I don't really know if it is worth the switch but imo the servicing of hybrid cars isn't as matured as in the states. Try googling for specialized hybrid servicing workshops and you will get more results for those in US. And probably because of that the few specialized shops here is showing sign of complacency knowing that they can capture the market even with poor standard. Recently i got the dreadful POA80 fault code and check your hybrid fault light and after searching high/low for a reputable shop decided to go to HEVSHOP at Kaki Bukit due to the numerous good reviews online. What I experienced was totally the opposite in term of transparency, cost and customer services. I went in hope of they being a specialized shop able to offer a cheaper option than the OEM but they shot down my suggestion of reconditions my batt or even swooping with a already recon batt. Their justifications were bad and were flip-flopping along the way just to narrow down my option to buying a new batt which they offered at a price approx the same as the OEM. Left with no choice as they have ready stock I decided to go for a new batt change after considering for 2 weeks and was told that the price is now $300 more due to a new batch that they bought at a higher price.i was skeptical because the guy think called Simon was trying to pluck a number in his head and didn't want to commit but when I asked for a exact price he settled for $300 more than his initial quote. Scary to think it could have been more... I decided to still go ahead but requested for assurance that the batt will be a new OEM original which I was assured that there will be pictures and data printout provided. However when collecting my car I was shocked to find neither but I insisted on that cos I'm paying good money for an original OEM and I don't think is too much to ask for assurance that it is indeed an original. Was told they forgot to take pic but would run a data test on the "new" batt. I asked for any other thing like a label with serial number or packaging but was shouted at for asking too much. In the end they showed me some discarded wooden box saying it was the packaging. And to my horror the date on the batt was 2 months back which means it isn't a new batch and I really want to question why the additional $300 but they were getting a little too aggressive for my liking so decided to leave it as that. The warranty on the battery is subjected to me sending my car there for regular 6 mth servicing but no way I am not going back even If it means to forgo my warranty.

The above is not against any particular shop as some other specialized shop for hybrid may also be exhibiting the same to certain extent but some shop could be worse. But it just goes to show the mentality some of the shops here if they don't feel there is any competitors out there to make them focus more on their services and transparency. On a ending note I would suggesting also monitoring the maturity of the maintenance industry for hybrids as one of the factor to consider as well if not be prepared for the risk of burning good money and getting frustrated both at the same time during maintenance.

Edited by Honestbee
  • Dislike 1