Who watches HK-TVB here?

Sofarsogood

I'm sort of addicted now after my colleague passed me some series. Right now watching "Dicey Business" which stars Miao Qiao Wei. Looking forward to Adam Cheng's Bar Benders, which supposed to be good too.

I've given up on watching local TV and I wonder why I am still paying the $110 yearly. Plot is one thing but the acting skills of some so-called local "talents" cannot make it. And then there's also the "goody two shoes" theme that our local series must comply to. Like police officers cannot be "bad"; maybe this is something that our MDA sets out. And somehow or rather, our local series tend to time with some events - like NKF coming, then there'll be a series about this; NS40 coming, then there's a series about this. Very predictable - no innovation.

Anyway, these are just my personal thoughts. There also some not-so-nice TVB series too.

↡ Advertisement

While I agree with most of your observations above, I would also like to add my 2 cents.

Let's talk about Honor and Passion. I like the show: heart-warming and some connecting moments (and Felicia inlove.gif). It gets a little clich

HK-TVB serials have marketibility.... u don't see Mediacorp series rented or sold in HK, do you? Maybe it will take a while before we ever reached the same status as them. No doubt, we started off late, but hopefully things will improve. Its always perceived that other people's things are better, makes me wonder how Hongkongers feel about their local dramas.

Not sure if you were replying specifically to any parts of my post but as I have also said, few Mediacorp shows have context outside of Singapore and have relatively little drawing power as the actors/actresses are unknown beyond our shores.

I'm guessing that HKers will have similar gripes as well. In essence, we agree.

Neutral Newbie

I am a big fan of the Wuxia genre...so TVB's pass works had set the benchmark for this...

I can't remember any recent wixia drama by mediacorp...maybe its time for them to do one... [:p]

Neutral Newbie
I am their loyal supporter...just finish "on the first beat"... [laugh][laugh]

Ha ha... found the same fans here... i oso just finished this a few weeks back.

Actually I prefer series with more than 30 episodes leh.... a lot of those 20 ep ones don't really have much quality. I saw one...aya cant remember the english name...something like "good against bad" about this lee bu yi fighting against the bad world...wah kau! really sucks sia! that was the worst TVB serial man.

ironically my first tvb serial came when i was about 5-7 years old...hahaha granny started watching them on betamax then on vhs...me hooked since then sigh (granny is a canto) ahha so welcome welcome!

over the years i have concluded that Sg local drama is only good if it is those normal show with no bad guys but just about everyday stuff or like the one at 9pm now showing.,...the rest waste time...

HK-TVB serials have marketibility.... u don't see Mediacorp series rented or sold in HK, do you? Maybe it will take a while before we ever reached the same status as them. No doubt, we started off late, but hopefully things will improve. Its always perceived that other people's things are better, makes me wonder how Hongkongers feel about their local dramas.

beri simple answer... in HK, they try to reflect the social fabric in the originality.

in SG, obvious propaganda, the homes ID r very staged, the cast all str8 faces, fixed line .... eh, make that fixed propaganda.

it will definitely not take us a while to reach the same status as them. dream on.

Neutral Newbie

bro, u reminded me those late 70s to early 80s days... i started watching them then... the bund and those gambling series were one of my first few... ha ha ha [laugh] those were the days, no heart to study...only full of HK serial... ha ha ha... still went thru... ha ha ha ha... very fun.

Edited by Vicz

I'm sort of addicted now after my colleague passed me some series. Right now watching "Dicey Business" which stars Miao Qiao Wei. Looking forward to Adam Cheng's Bar Benders, which supposed to be good too.

I've given up on watching local TV and I wonder why I am still paying the $110 yearly. Plot is one thing but the acting skills of some so-called local "talents" cannot make it. And then there's also the "goody two shoes" theme that our local series must comply to. Like police officers cannot be "bad"; maybe this is something that our MDA sets out. And somehow or rather, our local series tend to time with some events - like NKF coming, then there'll be a series about this; NS40 coming, then there's a series about this. Very predictable - no innovation.

Anyway, these are just my personal thoughts. There also some not-so-nice TVB series too.

the actors there are contracted to a single station over years with no/little basic pay.. but if u do make it "big" the per episode pay goes rocket high.. hence many actors/actress really improve and also appreciate what tvb has given them.. unlike mediac*rk which everyone gets a basic pay + bonus end of the year... who will really improve and give their best? no point if its the same salary very month.. their style are just like civil servants... pls lor, even the tvb extras has the X factors... local ones.. [shakehead][shakehead]

Neutral Newbie

i think mediacorp actors & actresses like only show pretty faces like that leh... all like gek jit teh bin one... some more can't act or talk properly... [thumbsdown] esp those new ones... watch liao oso sian.