COE car purchase tips?

Ethene

Hi bros, if one is thinking of getting a 93' civic esi, is there any points to look out for? eg:

1. How to check if the car tio accident before?

2. If the car won't have problems here and there after getting it?

3. Is there a need to send the car for full inspection?

4. Usually, how is the "warrenty" like by the selling company?

5. Any other points to take note when buying a COE car?

Hope you guys can share your experience! [;)]

↡ Advertisement

Very difficult to get this model is stock & mint condition which is notorious for its Boy Racer image.

To make things easy for you, you might want to send it for a thorough STA inspection (vehicle diagnosis) which costs just over a hundred bucks - a small price to pay for piece of mind.

Easier to get a G7 Toyota Corolla which costs around the same price, in tip top condition although the normal wear and tear is unavoidable.

Edited by Vit4wd

Neutral Newbie

Hi bros, if one is thinking of getting a 93' civic esi, is there any points to look out for? eg:

There is a glue thing in the engine bay above the fender and inside the boot. W/O it most likely the car been in a serious accident.

Even if glue thingy is there, doesnt mean that the car did not go through accident that damage the front/rear arm. This is important for a car handling ability.

Parts wear and tear anything. Might be after you collect your ride for few hours or years later. No choice.

Bring your car to your mechanic to have a look is a must for COE ride.

Yes

Usually a week. But when things happened.. chances of pushing around whose fault is very high.

Air-con and all other electronic items, test drive with window up, radio off. And window down, radio off also.

Heard if any funny noises. Look under the car if any oil leak.

Remember handling of the car is very important. If front/rear arm is damage before it is almost impossible to regain to what it is.

Those are base on i used to own a COE ride experience. Hope it helps

Edited by Turbine

i was considering a second coe ride some time back.

the thing is regardless of condition be prepared to spend on repairs and you are a) either spending money that will render the car usuable for the next few years or b) throwing money into a black hole.

regardless of how much you inspect, things can still go wrong which will come to light after say a few months of ownership. and fyi i was nt even looking at civic but the more family oriented toyota coe car.

my suggestion is unless long term financing is a problem for you or if unless you really need a car immediately you should avoid coe rides and the civic like a plague. go to the car mart and try the civics and you may see why.

My younger bro also just got his 92esi recently and so far so good.

One thing for sure, do not only go for the overall looks of the car.

ie. If nice paint work, nice leather interior, etc...no use...most important is the components inside the engine bay!!! (cos if $ can solve the problem, it is not a problem...the most dreadful is when even $ cannot solve it) [sweatdrop]

To simply put, people buy coe car due to only 2 reasons:

1) financially tight

2) really like that particular model

In which my brother has reasons for both.

Even for new car, if gotten a lemon, also problematic, although under warranty can bang the AD...other than that, you are also pissed off the same way.

Look at this way, if can afford, of course buy new car...who wouldn't want right?

The most important is you can afford and buy the car you like.

New car, even for cheapest model (reasonably 1.5L type), will set aside at least 500-600 per month for instalment only. COE cars, probably 200-300 per month...

So you are actually saving up 200-300 per month for repairs if needed...

So means new car owners are already paying more premium every month for "insurance" that it will not have problem. Whereas, coe cars, if lucky, never have major problem for years...

my 2 cents...

Bring a mechanic friend along with you or you can insist to the dealer to send the car to STA for check...

If you see at Kaki Bukit Car mart, there is a STA inside the mart.

If at Tagore, can send to Sin Ming.

If they don't allow, just walk away...simple as that.

My brother is not those chiong type, so he prefers it to be as stock as possible. Most important dun see any oil leak, engine is not vibrating rigorously, water temp is stable.

And when you drive, make sure dun hear any funny noises...one last and most important...no thick white smoke coming out from exhaust...!!!

A dealer at Kaki Bukit told us got white smoke becos havent change engine oil, cold weather, etc...but still it doesn't convince us...

We were almost sealing the deal when we saw him reversing the car for us after test drive, and holly white smoke just rush out....(boring half liao)... [thumbsdown]

A '93 Civic will set you back by AT LEAST $3K a year in depreciation

http://www.sgcarmart.com/main/info-20fiq3fb-1241.html

In fact, the illustrated example above sets one back by almost $3,500 a yr.

Add the rd tax surcharge which will be at 50% from its 15th yr onwards. This will cost you an extra $500 annually.

So annual dep $3K plus extra rd tax surcharge $500 = $3.5K a yr.

Might as well consider a 1.0M Perodua Kelisa/Kenari @ $3.2K/$3.2K dep a yr or a Proton Wira 1.3M @ $3.5K dep a yr.

Why buy a 14 yr old 2nd hand car with countless owners and an unknown history? Nothing beats a brand new car with a 3 yr, 100,000km warranty! Lower maintenance costs & less headache too.

Perodua Kelisa 1.0 - uses Daihatsu engine

http://www.sgcarmart.com/new_cars/perodua.php#Kelisa

Perodua Kenari 1.0 - same engine as Kelisa

http://www.sgcarmart.com/new_cars/auth_car_info.php?AC=710

Proton Wira 1.3 - uses Mitsubishi engine

http://www.sgcarmart.com/new_cars/auth_car_info.php?AC=418

Edited by Vit4wd

What matters to COE car buyer is not so much about the depreciation...

It's the monthly instalment they have to fork out...

If they can afford 400-500 per month, then don't even have to consider COE cars liao...

Of course, taking into consideration of yearly expenses, the savings on COE cars is not significant, but it's the cashflow flexibility when monthly instalment is low.

Also, pardon me to those owners...I would rather take a cab or bus than to be seen driving in a perodua or proton...think I would at least reach my destination safer...

For ESI, at least it looks good and modern for a COE car...

I see more fatal accidents involving the EG Honda Civic than Peroduas or Protons. [laugh]

But the low monthly payment for these COE cars are very misleading. You actually end up paying much more as the interest rate, at above 4% p.a., is higher than brand new car's interest rate.

Edited by Vit4wd

if they cannot afford the additional 200 -300, they cannot afford a car.

as a car owner you should know the various hidden costs of car ownership apart from the monthly installment.

if someone is planning on paying that 200- 300 on installment and do not put aside the road tax and insurance costs on a monthly basis, then he or she is surely gonna panic when time comes to road tax and insurance renewal.

coe cars are only good if you pay up at least half in cash.

That's exactly my point!

As COE cars are at 12-15k range (for ESI), paying up a few K downpayment would reduce the instalment significantly.

Even for high interest rate of 4.5 or 5% for that matter, as the loan amount is low, the total interest incurred would not be huge.

For example, loan 10,000 for 3 years at 5%, total interest is only $1500.

Compared to loan 30-40,000 for 7years at 3 or 3.5%. total interest easily hit 6 to 10k liao... [sweatdrop]

Neutral Newbie

There is a glue thing in the engine bay above the fender and inside the boot. W/O it most likely the car been in a serious accident.

Even if glue thingy is there, doesnt mean that the car did not go through accident that damage the front/rear arm. This is important for a car handling ability.

Parts wear and tear anything. Might be after you collect your ride for few hours or years later. No choice.

Bring your car to your mechanic to have a look is a must for COE ride.

Yes

Usually a week. But when things happened.. chances of pushing around whose fault is very high.

Air-con and all other electronic items, test drive with window up, radio off. And window down, radio off also.

Heard if any funny noises. Look under the car if any oil leak.

Remember handling of the car is very important. If front/rear arm is damage before it is almost impossible to regain to what it is.

Those are base on i used to own a COE ride experience. Hope it helps

hi,care to share how to know if the front/rear arm is damage??what is the aftermath of a damage arm???

Neutral Newbie

For the two new cars that you have mentioned, one has to stick with the ride for the

next 10 years to achieve the $3.2K-$3.5K dep a yr.

The figure will increase if the owner decided to change his ride at any point of time

before hitting 10 years mark(which is a rather common trend).

As for COE car, most that I have found on sgcarmart are left with 4 years of COE, which

means that the yearly depreciation is more achieveable.

Hence, COE car is good for people who wish to change ride in a few years time.

(Thats provided the car condition is acceptable).

Just my 2 cents..

i got to agree with you.nod.gif

since most of the esi are less than 5 years before the coe expire,the high interest rate is still way below buying a new car with 7 years loan.

Neutral Newbie

Buying CIVIC ESI?!?

The car kena ram and MoD by wannabe F1 racers. Most of them terok liao. Want to buy COE cars, get the least possible for ppl to MOD type brands. Like those Mitsubishi, Nissan, FIAT, Suzuki...etc.

Neutral Newbie

Bring it for inspection. Or drive 100km/h on expressway which i think the dealer wouldn't allow.

Edited by Turbine
↡ Advertisement