KAH Motors servicing questions

Fatfat

Supersonic

Actually I am curious about those owners driving those 20 to 30 year old cars. How they maintain their car, with AD workshops or workshops outside, to maintain the stock model quality?

↡ Advertisement

Actually I am curious about those owners driving those 20 to 30 year old cars. How they maintain their car, with AD workshops or workshops outside, to maintain the stock model quality?

Old cars can go MY JB to do servicing. Many old cars there
  • Praise 2

Is ad workshop really worth the money? Other than use original parts and won't void warranty. We cannot see what they do inside and they insist we go every 6 months regardless of mileage.

• Praise 1

1st Gear

Just want to share my experience here too.

I bought a Honda Civic Hybrid in 2008 and had been going there for servicing since. I usually bought their 2 years package to save money. This two years package usually comes with 4 servicings at recommended 6 months interval but I normally bought it during the first servicing and make my 4th servicing at the end of the 2 years package to stretch my dollars. 

The car comes with 3 years warranty and at the end of the 3rd year, I luckily bought a additional 2 years warranty at $1500 +/- (cannot remember the actual value). My Hybrid battery konged at the 4th year 9 month and they replaced it for me based on the 2 years warranty I bought. Yes, they told me that the replacement cost is about 5k had I not bought the extra warranty.

So far, instead of the recommended 10K/6 months guideline which I will need to send for servicing, I normally do it at the 9th month.

I find their servicing very good and yes, it is more expensive than outside workshop but the car never give me any problems in my 9 years of driving. The condition of the car today is still extremely good and I will consider renewing my COE for not the fact that this is a Hybrid car. (worry about battery failure again)

I believe in following their recommended regime in changing parts due to wear and tear but stretch that duration of the changing normally by 3-6 months to stretch my dollar. Sometimes, one bad failing part will affect the others and in time to come, the repair bill will come horrendously high if we are not so lucky.

I am quite a car idiot in parts and don't quite trust externally workshops because they don't have the right diagnostic tools to identify failing parts. Furthermore, I am driving a hybrid car.... Also, I always have this mentality that the external workshop will never ask you to change something until the parts fail. But by then, it may have affected many other parts and this may end us more costly.

IMHO, each of us have our own minds and also our "mechanic expertise" in dealing with this situation. I don't think there is a correct or most effective way to deal with repairs or maintenance.

Just go for the best value for money in your opinion.

• Praise 1

I bought a Honda Civic Hybrid in 2008 and had been going there for servicing since. I usually bought their 2 years package to save money. This two years package usually comes with 4 servicings at recommended 6 months interval but I normally bought it during the first servicing and make my 4th servicing at the end of the 2 years package to stretch my dollars.

The car comes with 3 years warranty and at the end of the 3rd year, I luckily bought a additional 2 years warranty at $1500 +/- (cannot remember the actual value). My Hybrid battery konged at the 4th year 9 month and they replaced it for me based on the 2 years warranty I bought. Yes, they told me that the replacement cost is about 5k had I not bought the extra warranty.

So far, instead of the recommended 10K/6 months guideline which I will need to send for servicing, I normally do it at the 9th month.

I find their servicing very good and yes, it is more expensive than outside workshop but the car never give me any problems in my 9 years of driving. The condition of the car today is still extremely good and I will consider renewing my COE for not the fact that this is a Hybrid car. (worry about battery failure again)

I believe in following their recommended regime in changing parts due to wear and tear but stretch that duration of the changing normally by 3-6 months to stretch my dollar. Sometimes, one bad failing part will affect the others and in time to come, the repair bill will come horrendously high if we are not so lucky.

I am quite a car idiot in parts and don't quite trust externally workshops because they don't have the right diagnostic tools to identify failing parts. Furthermore, I am driving a hybrid car.... Also, I always have this mentality that the external workshop will never ask you to change something until the parts fail. But by then, it may have affected many other parts and this may end us more costly.

IMHO, each of us have our own minds and also our "mechanic expertise" in dealing with this situation. I don't think there is a correct or most effective way to deal with repairs or maintenance.

You mean you buy the package when you start your first service. Is it correct to say means u can stretch for 6 more months only. Meaning you can send car in every 8-9 months? This seems like a good strategy.

1st Gear
(edited)

You mean you buy the package when you start your first service. Is it correct to say means u can stretch for 6 more months only. Meaning you can send car in every 8-9 months? This seems like a good strategy.

Yes. Everytime my two years servicing contract is up at the 4th servicing, I will wait for the next service date (8-9 months later) and sign up another two years servicing contract with 4 servicings and begin the first servicing on the spot. If you look at this, the servicings are done roughly at the 1st, 9th, 17th, 24th month of the two year contract.

KM are quite keen to earn this Service Money as they always worried that we will go to external workshop.

For any spare parts that need replacing, they will give 20% discount which will bring them nearer to the outside price (but still expensive though). 

One thing good about them is that they will call and let you know the parts that need replacing and let you decide whether you are keen or not.

Edited by Ten
  • Praise 1

No right or wrong answer.

You pay for sense of assurance and trust.

Some ppl just don't like to deal with external workshops due to past bad experience or mistrust.

Yes. Everytime my two years servicing contract is up at the 4th servicing, I will wait for the next service date (8-9 months later) and sign up another two years servicing contract with 4 servicings and begin the first servicing on the spot. If you look at this, the servicings are done roughly at the 1st, 9th, 17th, 24th month of the two year contract.

KM are quite keen to earn this Service Money as they always worried that we will go to external workshop.

For any spare parts that need replacing, they will give 20% discount which will bring them nearer to the outside price (but still expensive though).

One thing good about them is that they will call and let you know the parts that need replacing and let you decide whether you are keen or not.

Kk. I will try that on tan chong workshop.

Neutral Newbie

AD workshop usually are mmore systematic in stocking parts, less tolerant in obsolete parts, so do not expect very old parts unless you are willing to wait or pay more. While outside workshop will have more variety, more flexible but again quality will varies.

Supercharged

My experience was that whatever parts I bring to workshop that workshop will not give any warranty. Hope this clarifies the general practice / consensus among ws or agent.

I think if it's my own biz I'll do the same. Y be liable for customers' own parts?

• Praise 2

1st Gear

Kk. I will try that on tan chong workshop.

Just make sure that the package you are going to buy from Tan Chong is clear. If 4 servicings within 2 years is the condition, maybe just before you buy, just check with them if timing not accurate (every 6 months), will it be ok?

Generally, it should be ok. I had done this close to 10 years in KM.

I bought a Honda Civic Hybrid in 2008 and had been going there for servicing since. I usually bought their 2 years package to save money. This two years package usually comes with 4 servicings at recommended 6 months interval but I normally bought it during the first servicing and make my 4th servicing at the end of the 2 years package to stretch my dollars. 

I am quite a car idiot in parts and don't quite trust externally workshops because they don't have the right diagnostic tools to identify failing parts. Furthermore, I am driving a hybrid car.... Also, I always have this mentality that the external workshop will never ask you to change something until the parts fail. But by then, it may have affected many other parts and this may end us more costly.

Hi Ten

Your car is now already 9 years old.   Mine is reaching 10 years this October and I intend to renew its COE.  Milege is below 74K plus only and is in good condition. I also go to Kah Motor for regular servicing.Is it worth it to buy their servicing package?  Did you check if adhoc i more worthwhile?

I always believe that the car needs to be serviced at a regular intervals. For me, as I explained previously, i always schedule my servicing as follows:

1st servicing : month 1

2nd servicing : month 9

3rd servicing : month 17

4th servicing : month 24

5th servicing : month 33

6th servicing: month 41

And continue like previous schedule

So when you buy a 2 years plan with 4 servicing, you can use it almost 3 years.

If you want Honda servicing, it is worthwhile to buy their package as discount will be given compared to book and drive in on a adhoc basis.

On top of that, you get parts discount.

My suggestion is that you can always drop by and talk to them first. Or if you intend to send it to them for servicing anyway, just before payment or before you hands over the keys to them, you can ask for the package and see if this makes sense for u. If so, just ask them whether can have immediate activation and use the first servicing of the package on the day.

Good luck

• Praise 1

Hi Ten

Your car is now already 9 years old. Mine is reaching 10 years this October and I intend to renew its COE. Milege is below 74K plus only and is in good condition. I also go to Kah Motor for regular servicing.Is it worth it to buy their servicing package? Did you check if adhoc i more worthwhile?

Not necessarily to go to KM servicing

Can service outside. You need to know what parts needed to change by certain mileage.

U can refer to the KM servicing package, see the parts to be replaced by certain mileage. Then u service and change parts outside. If you are more hardworking, buy the parts from stockist. Save abit more.

I'm been doing it for my previous car. No prob at all.

Not necessarily to go to KM servicing

Can service outside. You need to know what parts needed to change by certain mileage.

U can refer to the KM servicing package, see the parts to be replaced by certain mileage. Then u service and change parts outside. If you are more hardworking, buy the parts from stockist. Save abit more.

I'm been doing it for my previous car. No prob at all.

Good idea and it is cheaper as well

Supersonic

No need to go AD for servicing.

Unless you're locked in to their warranty clause, then you have no choice.

They don't do anything special, other than changing fluids and filters, which any competition shop can do.

And when parts fail, your super expensive AD servicing will not help prevent that from failing.

An example, a guy driving Urvan always service at Tan Chong. His battery failed on the road and he told me his expectation of his van from just being "serviced" at AD did not prevent that breakdown from happening.

Be realistic about your expectations. Throwing in good money does not mean any guarantee that the car will not start or worse, stopped.

Parts can fail, any time, any day, even after one day of super expensive servicing.

• Praise 1

(edited)

I always believe that the car needs to be serviced at a regular intervals. For me, as I explained previously, i always schedule my servicing as follows:

1st servicing : month 1

2nd servicing : month 9

3rd servicing : month 17

4th servicing : month 24

5th servicing : month 33

6th servicing: month 41

And continue like previous schedule

So when you buy a 2 years plan with 4 servicing, you can use it almost 3 years.

If you want Honda servicing, it is worthwhile to buy their package as discount will be given compared to book and drive in on a adhoc basis.

On top of that, you get parts discount.

My suggestion is that you can always drop by and talk to them first. Or if you intend to send it to them for servicing anyway, just before payment or before you hands over the keys to them, you can ask for the package and see if this makes sense for u. If so, just ask them whether can have immediate activation and use the first servicing of the package on the day.

Good luck

Thank Ten for sharing...

I did a calculation based on my annual mileage of 13k which is around 1084km per month and I usually service my car at 9 mths interval.

But hor... assuming I sign up the 2 yrs 4 servicing package on Sept 2019 based on 9 mths interval, the 4th servicing will exceed the 2 years

y3FFg3F.jpg

So I guess this idea work well for 8 mths interval.  [thumbsup]

Edited by Titanium
↡ Advertisement