Antibiotics

Karebu

I've been given erythromycin.

had difficulty breathing, broke out in cold sweat very often, running nose etc.

however whenever i pop a pill, i feel extremely nauseous and sick. bowel movements are much more frequent as well.

there's this concern that the bacteria would become even stronger if i do not finish the course.

another issue is that i don't think i've got a bacterial infection. mucus was clear, not yellow. the GP has a habit of prescribing antibiotics always.

i feel more and more and more sick taking the antibiotics. should i stop medication?

Edited by Karebu
↡ Advertisement

he would probably prescribe more useless medicine. sigh.

i'm losing faith in 'western' medicine.

always treating illnesses symptomatically and they seem to be scheming merchants..

Edited by Karebu

If the infection is viral, he shouldn't prescribe antibtiotics... However, most patients will request for antibiotics.. (Kiasu mentality?)

If you have such effects from taking the medication, do inform your doctor as it can mean that the medicine is not suitable for you.

funny. on the contrary i request for mc [laugh] not antibiotics. but the GP would definitely give.

guess it adds up in the bill. time to change doc.

now i'm wondering if i should stop medication. say there's no infection in the first place. what happens if i take antibiotics? and what happens if i stop suddenly?

however whenever i pop a pill, i feel extremely nauseous and sick. bowel movements are much more frequent as well.

there's this concern that the bacteria would become even stronger if i do not finish the course.

another issue is that i don't think i've got a bacterial infection. mucus was clear, not yellow. the GP has a habit of prescribing antibiotics always.

i feel more and more and more sick taking the antibiotics. should i stop medication?

I feel very funny that the doc give u antibotics to eat cos u said that u dun thk u got any bacterial infection. How cum u didnt check & asked the doc?

For me, i will sure ask the doc how cum he/she will prescribe this antibotics to me.

Finish the antibiotics.

If condition still persists, see him again. Ask him to up the ante in global biological warfare in your body.

I can only say this. AUGMENTIN. The stuff all the bugs are scared sh1tless.

As for your runny nose, go to the pharmacy. Ask for Sudafed tablets and chlorphenamine. 3 times daily each. I would avoid the sudafed just before bedtime. They turn you into an insomniac. Clears the nose very well.

In this day and age, it is sometimes best to embark on a little self medication.

When you encounter runny nose. Can mean two things. Allergy or infection aggravated allergy.

Head for the pharmacy.

Chlorpenamine AKA Piriton tablets. DHA makes them and they are generic. Cheaper than the GSK boxes. The pharamcist will sell you a pack of 3 blister strips for 1.50 only.

If you kenna blocked nose, then Sudafed. For some strange reason, there is no generic Sudafed (pseudoephedrine) and the only brand you can buy is GSK. The pharmacist will give you 2 blister strips for 2.50 which is damn expensive. Anyway it is understandable that they hold it back. I have the knowledge how to make methamphetamines with sudafed. No I'm not pointing you to any sources or show you how. laugh.gif

I find the combination above better and cheaper than the expensive Clarinase or Clarityne which is really way above anyone's budget. However, chlorphenamine induces a bit of drowsiness.

If this doesn't work, then you might want to get a syrup. The most famous one is Actifed and it is expensive since it is branded by GSK. However, DHA makes a generic version called Fedac. Also the same 120mL bottle. Costs only 4.10 compared to the astronimcal Actifed at 8.90 or something in that range. If you take Fedac, don't take the above combo because Fedac/Actifed has the above combo but the antihistamine is not chlorphenamine but it will still make you feel drowsy.

Here is the info on Fedac.

http://drug-database-online.mnazman.com/mo...tail.php?id=101

Yes, they do have tablet version but I do not know if they have it here in SG.

Edited by Genie47

Ponstan or mefenamic acid. There is a syrup version called Napan from DHA. Causes stomach upset.

A better alternative if you like is Neurofen which is Ibuprofen. Safer on the stomach and also in the same class of NSAIDs. Available from the pharmacies. Just ask for Neurofen.

Why I need to know this?

To save when it really matters. I don't go to JB just to stock up on milk powder. You get the locally manufactured big ticket items that are cheaper over there.

Pharmaceuticals are really much cheaper over there. This I got to thank Mr Khaw for his advice. laugh.gif

Same for Thailand. If you go to Bangkok, stop by at their Boots Pharmacy and load up on medicine before coming back to Singapore.

Edited by Genie47

From you mentioned, it is likely that you are sensitive to erythromycin which not uncommon

it would be best to consult your doctor again

he would probably prescribe more useless medicine. sigh.

i'm losing faith in 'western' medicine.

always treating illnesses symptomatically and they seem to be scheming merchants..

best medicine is to rest and sleep sunny.gif

Probably you are suffering from side effects from taking the medication. If it is the first time that you are taking the medication, then it's better you inform your doctor about it and get a Medik Awas card to be carried with yourself to identify that you don't respond well with this medication.

Your doc probably will prescribe other classes of anti biotics so that you can eliminate any bacteria infection. It is important to finish antibiotics, otherwise it'll not work for you next time.

It's not easy to tell whether a person has viral or bacteria infection though there are some typical guidelines. A typical indication is that if you don't get better after taking the first dose of antibiotics, it's likely that you have a viral infection. However, it is also possible the antibiotics is not strong enough to exterminate the bacteria, so a stronger medication might be needed.

↡ Advertisement