Antibiotics

Karebu

he would probably prescribe more useless medicine. sigh.

i'm losing faith in 'western' medicine.

always treating illnesses symptomatically and they seem to be scheming merchants..

let's say you have a bacterial infection, the way to treat the etiology is antibiotics. or you can wait for your body to get rid of the infection.

if you have a viral infection, there's nothing much the doctor can do, unless you want to take expensive antivirals which are honestly quite useless since most viral infections are self-limiting. the thing makes u feel like sxxt is your own body, not the infection. hence the medications western doctor give is to limit the ill-effects of the body's immune response.

↡ Advertisement

I've been given erythromycin.

had difficulty breathing, broke out in cold sweat very often, running nose etc.

however whenever i pop a pill, i feel extremely nauseous and sick. bowel movements are much more frequent as well.

there's this concern that the bacteria would become even stronger if i do not finish the course.

another issue is that i don't think i've got a bacterial infection. mucus was clear, not yellow. the GP has a habit of prescribing antibiotics always.

i feel more and more and more sick taking the antibiotics. should i stop medication?

Maybe you are having an anxiety attack?

Your doctor may prescribe antibiotics if he hears wheezing or bubbling sound from your lungs also lah..

Some people are sensitive to antibiotics, go get some Acidophilius pills for your stomach upset. Sometimes the antibiotics kills the friendly bacteria in your stomach, that's why you LS.

I've been given erythromycin.

had difficulty breathing, broke out in cold sweat very often, running nose etc.

however whenever i pop a pill, i feel extremely nauseous and sick. bowel movements are much more frequent as well.

there's this concern that the bacteria would become even stronger if i do not finish the course.

another issue is that i don't think i've got a bacterial infection. mucus was clear, not yellow. the GP has a habit of prescribing antibiotics always.

i feel more and more and more sick taking the antibiotics. should i stop medication?

wat u have is a very common GI sideeffect of erythromycin or the macrolides class of Abx in general.

Tell ur dr that u have these side effects n tat u wld prefer not to take it unnecessarily. Some pple r quite sensitive to it. Its not an allergy but a side effect. i get a bit of gastritis if i consume it without eating a meal too.

Cheers smile.gif

funny. on the contrary i request for mc [laugh] not antibiotics. but the GP would definitely give.

guess it adds up in the bill. time to change doc.

now i'm wondering if i should stop medication. say there's no infection in the first place. what happens if i take antibiotics? and what happens if i stop suddenly?

Changing doc is not the issue, you didn't state why did you see the doc for in the first place?

I suspect even if you go to another doc and tell him of your symptoms but not the reaction to the erythromycin. Probably he will prescribe you the same thing again. [;)]

Some antibiotics works better for certain areas of the body, sinus, lungs...etc

And erythromycin is commonly used for treating STDs (not implying you have)... and respiratory tract infections.

Erythromycin is quite nasty to the GI. When the doc says take this after food, you better don't fcuk around. I was gungho (ie. stupid) enough to take one of this on an empty stomach in the morning, i nearly puked my guts out when i was on the way driving to work.

Antibiotics have a course, best to consult the same doctor regarding the reactions you are having, rather than jumping around, when you go back, he shouldn't charge you for consultation btw.

btw, if i didnt remember wrongly, sinus infection also sometimes give you clear mucus.

Edited by Slowmo

Should you finish a course of antibiotics?

The opinion piece, by a team of researchers from across England, argues that reducing the use of antibiotics is essential to help combat the growing problem of antibiotic resistance.

Prof Martin Llewelyn, from the Brighton and Sussex Medical School, together with colleagues, argues that using antibiotics for longer than necessary can increase the risk of resistance.

He suggests traditional long prescriptions for antibiotics were based on the outdated idea that resistance to an antibiotic could develop when a drug was not taken for a lengthy time and an infection was undertreated.

Instead, he says, there is now growing evidence that short courses of antibiotics - lasting three to five days, for example - work just as well to treat many bugs.

He accepts there are a few exceptions - for example, giving just one type of antibiotic for TB infections - which is known to lead to rapid resistance.

But the team says it is important to move away from blanket prescriptions and, with more research, give antibiotic prescriptions that are tailored to each infection and each person.

The study acknowledges that hospitals are increasingly reviewing the need for antibiotics from day to day and that there is a growing trend towards shorter courses of drugs.

But it questions whether advice such as stopping once feeling better would be beneficial - particularly when patients do not get the opportunity to be reviewed in the hospital every day.

They accept this idea would need more research.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-40731465

Active topic of late ...

Edited by Blueray
  • Praise 4

this days most of them is not as effective as before when we first being prescribed as new strain of virus

is everywhere of different made and different country! Rapidly difficult for scientists to keep up with new

scientific knowledge of new virus.

I must say among the doctors I've seen in several countries, those in Asia are more likely to prescribe anti-biotics on a first visit.

Cultural. U can buy antibiotics over the counter in many asian countries.

I think some clinic will prescribe readily, while hospitals not so. Like kkh, the A and E will not prescribe when they deem the patient no need to be warded even if high fever.

I think some clinic will prescribe readily, while hospitals not so. Like kkh, the A and E will not prescribe when they deem the patient no need to be warded even if high fever.

KK ? I think they  avoid giving to children as much as possible  :a-bday:

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1