Which is smarter choice: new small car or old/very old used car?

Atrecord

Hi, all,

I might need to get a car urgently for work. It's 5-day week job.

Am hoping not to get caught in a situation where if I have to sell/scrap the car after a short period, in which case the sale price will be much lower, making my depreciation very steep.

I've been thinking of getting an old car with abt a year to go before their COE expires, or just get one of those small china (cheap) new car. technology-wise, i think even the korean or chinese small new cars are much better than those very old cars with a year or two of COE left (some 8-9 yr, some 18-19 yr).

I like auto gear too... and am not looking at taking loan (that's why want cheap car...)

any one has any advice pls?

↡ Advertisement

Either choice will have its pros and cons.

Getting an old car might requires more servicing due to whatever reasons. New cars are ex etc.

IMO, y not get a new and cheap car?? Maybe a vios or something like that?

dun get a very old used car.. the maintenance and repair may scare you sweatdrop.gif

Picanto, Getz, Vios, Jazz, city, Lancer or sunny.. so many choice for cheap car..smile.gif

What is your budget??

Hi, all,

Am hoping not to get caught in a situation where if I have to sell/scrap the car after a short period, in which case the sale price will be much lower, making my depreciation very steep.

I've been thinking of getting an old car with abt a year to go before their COE expires, or just get one of those small china (cheap) new car. technology-wise, i think even the korean or chinese small new cars are much better than those very old cars with a year or two of COE left (some 8-9 yr, some 18-19 yr).

I like auto gear too... and am not looking at taking loan (that's why want cheap car...)

I am in your situation before. If you don't feel comfortable buying a new car. I would suggest getting a car of between 5 to 9 years old... if u sell it, you will not lose much.

Factors to consider:

(1)Depend on your Budget

(2)Fuel efficient

If can, go for 2nd hand like after 3yrs cos the depreciation not that taxing.

But, don't go for COE car. U will probably waste time/monies on maintaining it.

IMHO, if u are afraid you might need to sell car after a year or 2, i suggest looking at 2004 sunny/lancer.

these 2nd hand cars are going for about 3k above paper+body value. if u sell 1-2 yrs later, u don't lose much as any new car.

new car, sell within 1-2 years, easily lose 50% of the value.

Hi, all,

If wanna super play safe .... rent a car ..

Lease a car. No commitment. Around 1K to 1.4K for a new car. Road tax, insurance and servicing all included. Lease for a year and change to another model after one year. So you can drive different model every year.

Neutral Newbie

I think it all depends on whether you mind driving a older car. Actually the easier way is to give us your budget. I am sure many experts here can give you some suggestions.

you mentioned not taking loan, assuming you have cash $15K to $35K. Ok, let's consider the options: below subject to model & capacity, just a guide only

1) Cheap China made car,(budget $35K (NEW)

2) second hand 3-5 years old Korean Car ($35K)

3) second hand 7-8 year old Jap car ($35K)

4) COE car, more than 10 years old ($15K-20K) depend on model, only thing is made such mileage not to high, accident free??? few owners, and well service history.

Hope it help you maid...........