Is this coolant leaking?

Kinetics

My car having a similar coolant leaking problem. I did send to mechanic to have it check, since car due to scrap at end Dec, I was advised to regularly check & top up water/ coolant instead of repair/ replace the parts.

Word of caution, SG short commute is fine. Had a nasty jam across causeway & my temp gauge was at the max, Aircon not cold... was worried car overheat! I got lucky & limped across safely...

Lesson learnt...

Beware...

↡ Advertisement

Hi guys.. need you guys advise on this. I am driving a 07 toyota axio for 2mths.recently

Found out that my coolant reserve tank goes down till empty on one occasion. I open up the radiator cap to check. Inside its still full.

I try pouring in normal water to the reserve tank and observe. The water level goes from max to empty after 2 or 3 weeks. Open the radiator cap to check again. I still found green coolant inside. Can any1 advise on this?

Thankss

Small thing lah. Yours can still last 2-3 weeks, last time mine was weekly top up. I also tong all the way. Every week take water from the tap and pour it into the coolant tank. Nothing happened to the car. Happily scrapped after 10 years. Better to pour water in than nothing.

if going to scrap. why waste money on coolant. water is fine. even if some corrosion sets in who cares.

Exactly!

My car having a similar coolant leaking problem. I did send to mechanic to have it check, since car due to scrap at end Dec, I was advised to regularly check & top up water/ coolant instead of repair/ replace the parts.

Word of caution, SG short commute is fine. Had a nasty jam across causeway & my temp gauge was at the max, Aircon not cold... was worried car overheat! I got lucky & limped across safely...

Lesson learnt...

Beware...

Your leak quite jialat? Else how come overheat due to jam? Last time I park my car in the sun, still can tong 1 week between water top-ups. Could never find the leak, hence suspect is those microleak from radiator.

Small thing lah. Yours can still last 2-3 weeks, last time mine was weekly top up. I also tong all the way. Every week take water from the tap and pour it into the coolant tank. Nothing happened to the car. Happily scrapped after 10 years. Better to pour water in than nothing.

Exactly!

Your leak quite jialat? Else how come overheat due to jam? Last time I park my car in the sun, still can tong 1 week between water top-ups. Could never find the leak, hence suspect is those microleak from radiator.

My A6 has a few leaks that required extensive (expensive too) replacement parts, but I only replace a new coolant reservoir to last till Dec. becoz of this, my Aircon blow hot air when I get held up in heavy jams. Shortly after, my coolant fault code will appear all the way, even after I top up max coolant level.

Oh well, leakage at radiator etc but no point to replace... let my ride ROD in 2.5mths!

Otherwise, it has been a good servant to me...lol

I collect the drainage water from house aircon and use it for coolant.

Plenty of free water.

That time also coolant leak.

My encounter with the Chevrolet Optra,  the radiator has a plastic top and metal bottom.

The leak is along this plastic/metal seams.

I guess because the radiator is hot, when it leaks, the coolant evaporates ! 

My experience is that during coolant change, if the coolant is not fully drained and tap water is used, it can be catastrophic.

While driving the Chevrolet,  I used to ask those who needs to change radiator or have coolant leak whether if they recently did timing belt change.  [:p]

• Praise 1

sorry but is the aircon water purer than tap water or is it to recycle used water?

Aircon water is condensed from the moisture in the air.

Just for fun, I use the TDS meter on it and found it's pretty low in dissolved solid, about 22, compared to 70 I get for tap water.

So it's quite close to distill water which is 0 TDS.

Good enough for coolant. [:p]

• Praise 2

I remember watching a documentary a quick fix is to crack an egg into the radiator. Anyone going to try on their old car?

i googled that. really got such thing!, maybe he can try it in his coolant container and report back? [:p]

• Praise 1

Supercharged

I smelled dried coolant when I opened the bonnet to check engine oil level last week.

there's a tiny crack on the heater pipe, coolant dripped on the heatshield and evaporated thus the smell.

Caught it early, the plastic pipe is perishing after 4.5 years (140,000km), I can break the lip of the plastic water pipe like biscuit.

13zsoev.jpg

359bkbc.jpg

wgp54z.jpg

Edited by Phang
↡ Advertisement