Family support system for old folks at risk

Sabian

Business Times - 19 Oct 2007

Family support system for old folks at risk

Middle-aged people stretched financially, sociologist warns

SINGAPORE'S emphasis on family members as a pillar of support for older people is in danger of collapse, an academic here warned yesterday.

Angelique Chan, a sociologist at the National University of Singapore, said: 'I think the whole emphasis on families supporting older adults ... the system is going to break.

'You're already seeing the cracks. You've got middle-aged people who are just stretched to the limit financially and emotionally caring for their younger aged children and their older parents.

'It's very hard to care for older parents - there's a lot of psychological issues involved caring for someone who used to take care of you, and health care is much more expensive now.'

She made the remarks during a question-and-answer session at the Singapore Economic Policy Conference held at Four Seasons Hotel yesterday.

According to her, the state will have to do 'a lot more' to address the social impact of population ageing. Her presentation to an audience that included members of the Central Provident Fund Board, public and private sector economists and other academics painted a bleak picture of Singapore's demographic trends.

'Singapore's demographic window of opportunity will close in the next 10 to 15 years,' she said.

The country's total fertility rate - a measure of the average number of children born for every woman in the population over her lifetime - has fallen sharply, from six in 1965 to 1.26 in 2006, she said. In fact, 'since 1975, the population has not been replacing itself.'

Her team's research suggests that without migration the population will start shrinking from around 2020, and so will the labour force.

Worse still, many demographers now believe that 'once the total fertility rate goes below 1.5 it is near impossible to raise it back up to the replacement rate' of about 2.1, she said.

She thinks it unlikely the population will be able to replace itself. With the rate of non-marriage and divorce on the rise, 'it just doesn't look so good,' she said. 'Immigration is the only way.'

No developed country has a fertility rate that reaches or exceeds the replacement rate, she said. Among developed countries, France has the highest fertility rate, at 1.8. In South Korea and Hong Kong, the fertility rates are even lower than in Singapore, at 1.19 and 0.94 respectively.

With her colleagues, she is studying the reasons why Singaporeans are reluctant to have children.

'What we found was that young adults in Singapore still have a very idealistic impression of parenting and marriage,' she said.

'They've got really high expectations about the kind of parenting they have to provide, but they're saying no to the traditional social support systems that used to help in this process.'

↡ Advertisement

I feel that it's just a matter of time that the state will have to do more to help support the old. On one hand, the state want the younger generation to spend...to help the economy. On the other hand, they also expect the same group to save enough not only for themselves but also have enough to support their aged parents with high standard of living and medical cost. Such a system will cracked under pressure eventually.

Most people belonging to younger generation do not have the luxury of having many siblings to help share the cost. Many of them are either the only child or with one sibling.

Edited by Silver_blade

Yeah i agree too. Its especially true for the current generation of 30-40 year old people. They are either here or there. On one hand, they need to support thier elderly parents whom mostly belong to the "earn how much spend how much era". Most have little savings and no health insurance at all. On the other hand, we have the heavy responsibility of providing everying for our kids.

Maybe thats why our population is so low now. People can sense the heavy burden and choose not to have kids or dont marry at all.

Edited by Hiphiphoray

demographics is a very powerful word.

the MIW schoolers still like to cling onto the old ways (proven) but they always were aware of the data coming in: the family size is shrinking.

Supercharged

I'm one of the statistics that badly affected by the stopage put in place many eons ago.

Need to support both way. With the CPF ruling coming in place, I forsee I will need to contribute more to the old folks at my home. I find it ironical, their house fully-paid up, yet they cannot access to their cpf nest.

Supercharged

Oh...u mean the bird that starts with lipsrsealed.gif

Man...life really sucks...I'm sure I'm not the only Sporeans facing this prob.

Got to support the black & white hair. Makes no sense for the white hair not able to touch their CPF. Wait until that long, dono whether still around to use it or not.

No wonder I see alot of old folks need to collect empty drink can, cardboxes just to survive to the day they can touch their monies. Like a marathon, see who can last longer. Sad state of affairs.

Very good.. Actually, MIW also see it quite long ago.. so the solution ?

Bring FTs in, fresh money into CPF, hopefully enough to give to Citizen elderlies...

(I mean other than the reasons that need FTs to make our economy grow, etc..)

And those FTs can survive on lower savings, cos when coverted back to RMB, or Rupees, etc they are rich.. so they will not need so much, unlike singaporeans who have to retire here and spend the money here..

Japan's elderly commits minor crimes to get jailed. Intentionally to get away from family....

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-03-16/japan-s-prisons-are-a-haven-for-elderly-women

Ms. O, 78
Has stolen energy drinks, coffee, tea, a rice ball, a mango
Third term, sentenced to one year, five months
Has a daughter and a grandson

“Prison is an oasis for me—a place for relaxation and comfort. I don’t have freedom here, but I have nothing to worry about, either. There are many people to talk to. They provide us with nutritious meals three times a day. 

“My daughter visits once a month. She says ‘I don’t feel sorry for you. You’re pathetic.’ I think she’s right.”

Japan's elderly commits minor crimes to get jailed. Intentionally to get away from family....

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-03-16/japan-s-prisons-are-a-haven-for-elderly-women

Ms. O, 78

âPrison is an oasis for meâa place for relaxation and comfort. I donât have freedom here, but I have nothing to worry about, either. There are many people to talk to. They provide us with nutritious meals three times a day.

âMy daughter visits once a month. She says âI donât feel sorry for you. Youâre pathetic.â I think sheâs right.â

Haizzzzzzz

Rencently got one rich old auntie go jail

Ms. O, 78

“Prison is an oasis for me—a place for relaxation and comfort. I don’t have freedom here, but I have nothing to worry about, either. There are many people to talk to. They provide us with nutritious meals three times a day. 

“My daughter visits once a month. She says ‘I don’t feel sorry for you. You’re pathetic.’ I think she’s right.”

I think the cost of putting a person in jail

is the same as putting someone in a 5 star hotel

because jails are damn expensive to operate.

So anyone over 70 we send to jail might as well

put them in a 5 star hotel.

Some people will say this is not fair.

Maybe they are right. Let just give billions to rich

bankers instead. These people never complain 

this is not fair.

:D

• Praise 1

I think the cost of putting a person in jail

is the same as putting someone in a 5 star hotel

because jails are damn expensive to operate.

So anyone over 70 we send to jail might as well

put them in a 5 star hotel.

Some people will say this is not fair.

Maybe they are right. Let just give billions to rich

bankers instead. These people never complain

this is not fair.

:D

Same theory as those drunkard on weekends go to a&e for treatment n hospitalized

Twincharged

Haizzzzzzz

Rencently got one rich old auntie go jail

but auntie got anger management issues ...

Turbocharged

Best is to give those above 60 free booze, free food.. ckt etc.. free blue pill.. die early b4 65 die happy.. safe $$$

Edited by BenTong
  • Praise 1

Best is to give those above 60 free booze, free food.. ckt etc.. free blue pill.. die early b4 65 die happy.. safe $$$

老翁爆毙芽笼? :grin:

but auntie got anger management issues ...

Many old people is like that one

Donna why :grin:

↡ Advertisement