• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
88 replies to this topic | 15 praises

Posted 22 October 2007 - 02:22 PM

Vtim
  • Premium member
    Vtim
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Just needed to do some Exhaust Welding job, which one can do a quality job sly.gifsly.gifsly.gif

Please share your experience wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif

宁可正而不足,不可邪而有余。
Me, Mr Alfarleyfordadai, A citizen of Sillypore, pledge myself to strike all the highest prize. Based on TOTO, 4D or BIG SWEEP. So as to achieve prizes, prosperity and progress for my 4 kids, wife and wallet. GOT BUY GOT HOPE, NO BUY NO HOPE. [/color][/b]
[/color]

Posted 22 October 2007 - 02:34 PM

Bellaraphon
  • Bellaraphon
    3rd Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

i personally prefer FK. Cleaner workmanship.

Posted 22 October 2007 - 02:36 PM

Wankie
  • Wankie
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Man.
cheers!
wankie (Be reasonable. Do it my way.)

Posted 22 October 2007 - 10:42 PM

Kelpie
  • Kelpie
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

My preference has always been JC but they may not be the cheapest among the 3. FK is also not bad by lack that "touch" that I want. Again, service thing very subjective one.

Regards,
Disclaimer:
The above comments are solely my perspectives. You may disagree with it for I shall not be liable for whatever I may have input. You may feel displeased which in this case, my sincere apologies and do kindly seek moderator's advice if need be. Any obscene & threatening comments on me is a reflection of your personality. My motto is we agree to disagree. No profanity or obscenities of any kind. No personal attacks on other users. Thank you.

Posted 22 October 2007 - 10:46 PM

Sickscientist
  • Sickscientist
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Either one will do... Its a matter of travelling distance... In the, just getting the exos welded... Cust svc, ME and JC quite good...

I prefer Man.. thumbsup.gif

..AGREE To Disagree..

Posted 22 October 2007 - 11:18 PM

Tsystem
  • Premium member
    Tsystem
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

personal preference - MAN. he the man.

Had bad experience with Fong Kim. Long story short, had some problems after exhaust job there (TC-> Downpipe-> 3" pipe -> bullet -> 3"pipe -> custom muffler), after 3months had some rattling sound from bottom of car. Fong kim took a look and said its wear and tear that caused a hook to crack and hence exhaust was loose and rattling and wanted to charge $70 for labour to get it welded up.

Drove down to MAN, the man charged me $20. Took care of the prob.

:: [url "http://projekzhng.blogspot.com/"]Projek Zhng[/url] (2007)

Posted 22 October 2007 - 11:48 PM

Rsxs
  • Rsxs
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

Mine also had rattling noise, but is becos exos leaking.
for my case TC-> Downpipe-> 3" pipe (here leak) -> bullet -> 3"pipe -> custom muffler

man's workers workmanship shoddy, thats why leak in the first place. the patch job they did also very shoddy, weld and weld until got 1 big fat ring around v ugly 1 look can tell its a welded joint

Posted 22 October 2007 - 11:55 PM

Amuze
  • Amuze
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

MAN, he was FK's no. 1 man!

Posted 23 October 2007 - 12:00 AM

Nitrous
  • Nitrous
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

tried all 3. Of coz MAN is the cheapest. But i think only his workmanship is ok, his workers abit CMI. FK, dunwanna comment too much.

Both FK and MAN's welding style the same. Everything oso use flame, be it cutting, or welding together. Not so neat IMHO. Heating, softens the metal, so not so good. Since both uses same method, of course cheaper is better.

Although JC sometimes a bit pricy, but for welding, they use the MIG gun mostly, which is much better IMHO. Welding looks neater, more professional, less scars. Worth the moo la.

Not that FK and MAN doesn't use MIG, they do use, but sparingly, usually to hold the pipes/metal in place first, then they rest of the joining part, they use the flame.

Simple patching up job mebbe FK and MAN can do. But major job, i think JC is a better choice.

Posted 23 October 2007 - 12:26 AM

Bcyn
  • Bcyn
    4th Gear
    Author Image

i'm not too sure. only experince with man's shop before. the fat guy there did up my exhaust for me. until now still ok. 1.5yrs liao. btw side track abit... welded on twin exhaust tip pass anot?

Posted 23 October 2007 - 12:36 AM

DarkLord
  • DarkLord
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Can!
Greatest mod of my life part 3 coming soon!

Posted 23 October 2007 - 12:42 AM

Bcyn
  • Bcyn
    4th Gear
    Author Image

hmm... thats good. heard ppl say cannot pass inspection leh. a little scared also. my car coming the 3yr limit liao. come to think of it, seems like alot of things also cant pass. die sweatdrop.gif

Posted 23 October 2007 - 02:04 AM

Bearbear1494
  • Bearbear1494
    4th Gear
    Author Image

Man. Been going to him for years & has never let me down (well, maybe once, when his worker forgot to weld a mounting bracket onto the new muffler & caused rattles). Price is competitive & always willing to help.

As for welding, his workers have always used the MIG welding technique on my rides, never once saw them use the oxy-acetelyene torch except to cut joints, so exhaust leakage was never an issue. smile.gif
================================================================================

Full DIY I.C.E Setup - | Pioneer DEH-P6850MP | SoundCraft Parametric Pre-Amp | Lanzar Neo 35WX4-Channel | Precision Power PCX1250 Monoblock | Helix Blue 62 MKII 6.5" Components | JL Audio XR650-CSxo | ForceTen 6.5" Rear Mid-bass | Kicker CompVR 12" DVC Sub | Lightning Audio 1.0 Farad Capacitor | Blitz Audio 1-2 Distribution Block w/ Digital Voltmeter | Scosche EFX 4AWG Cables | Scosche EFX RCA Cables | Single-layer Audiobahn SP |

================================================================================

Van I.C.E Setup - | Sony GTX-350 | Lanzar Vibe 421 4-Channel | Kenwood PS400M Monoblock | Worldtech 6X9 3-Way | Lanzar Max X-over | 2 X Blitz Audio 10" DVC Subs | Work Still In Progress

Posted 23 October 2007 - 02:07 AM

Bcyn
  • Bcyn
    4th Gear
    Author Image

wats the difference between MIG technique and the flame technique ah? i also blur liao dizzy.gif

Posted 23 October 2007 - 02:08 AM

Bearbear1494
  • Bearbear1494
    4th Gear
    Author Image

BTW, tips are legal if only they do not protrude excessively from the bodywork &/or create noise. Some tips are designed to produce a deeper sound by using various vents & fibre "stuffing". But as long as the sound isn't too loud, you're fine since the tip itself doesn't affect emissions.

But, if you have some skeletons in the closet like dummy cat or operated mufflers, better not use a tip that's too "fierce". It'll invite closer inspection.

Full DIY I.C.E Setup - | Pioneer DEH-P6850MP | SoundCraft Parametric Pre-Amp | Lanzar Neo 35WX4-Channel | Precision Power PCX1250 Monoblock | Helix Blue 62 MKII 6.5" Components | JL Audio XR650-CSxo | ForceTen 6.5" Rear Mid-bass | Kicker CompVR 12" DVC Sub | Lightning Audio 1.0 Farad Capacitor | Blitz Audio 1-2 Distribution Block w/ Digital Voltmeter | Scosche EFX 4AWG Cables | Scosche EFX RCA Cables | Single-layer Audiobahn SP |

Van I.C.E Setup - | Sony GTX-350 | Lanzar Vibe 421 4-Channel | Kenwood PS400M Monoblock | Worldtech 6X9 3-Way | Lanzar Max X-over | 2 X Blitz Audio 10" DVC Subs | Work Still In Progress

Posted 23 October 2007 - 02:12 AM

Bearbear1494
  • Bearbear1494
    4th Gear
    Author Image

MIG welding (from what I know), uses electrical current to fuse metals together. This usually creates a very strong bond that is more resistant to cracking. Also, the weld marks left by an experienced welder is much "cleaner" & neater. Flame welding uses high heat to melt the metal so that they will join together once cooled. This method is said to be less strong as sometimes the correct melting point of the metals are not reached & the joint is only "fused" on the surface.

Again, this is what I've learnt from various coffee-shop & workshop sources. But as far as I'm concerned, the MIG welding used by Man has always held strong on my rides.

Posted 23 October 2007 - 10:36 PM

Kelpie
  • Kelpie
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

tried all 3. Of coz MAN is the cheapest. But i think only his workmanship is ok, his workers abit CMI. FK, dunwanna comment too much.

Both FK and MAN's welding style the same. Everything oso use flame, be it cutting, or welding together. Not so neat IMHO. Heating, softens the metal, so not so good. Since both uses same method, of course cheaper is better.

Although JC sometimes a bit pricy, but for welding, they use the MIG gun mostly, which is much better IMHO. Welding looks neater, more professional, less scars. Worth the moo la.

Not that FK and MAN doesn't use MIG, they do use, but sparingly, usually to hold the pipes/metal in place first, then they rest of the joining part, they use the flame.

Simple patching up job mebbe FK and MAN can do. But major job, i think JC is a better choice.

That was why I don't mind paying a bit more to get done things at JC. The boss, is always approachable even at 11pm.

Regards,
Disclaimer:
The above comments are solely my perspectives. You may disagree with it for I shall not be liable for whatever I may have input. You may feel displeased which in this case, my sincere apologies and do kindly seek moderator's advice if need be. Any obscene & threatening comments on me is a reflection of your personality. My motto is we agree to disagree. No profanity or obscenities of any kind. No personal attacks on other users. Thank you.

Posted 23 October 2007 - 10:38 PM

Wolverman
  • Wolverman
    Banned

Just needed to do some Exhaust Welding job, which one can do a quality job

Please share your experience

If you dont wanna be chop carrot go MAN

[url "http://wolverman.blogspot.com"]WolverMAN Revenge 2.0[/url]
([url "http://wolverman.blogspot.com"]http://wolverman.blogspot.com[/url])

Long Awaited! Wolverman's Ride!!! [url "http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/7428/misuyotaco8.jpg"]http://img104.images...misuyotaco8.jpg[/url]
New psychological trial: The AWW method "Antagonizing without words"
- Update : Patient Attempting hard to fight the inner response to emptiness...

Posted 23 October 2007 - 11:02 PM

Tc88
  • Tc88
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

hi don't think your description is correct..MIG welding usually much mix with two type of gases...like 80% Arogen 20% Carbon Dioxide together with current and welding rod then job can be done..it's quite expansive to use this type of method..don't think they use..they are more like using SMAW..just a electrode + current can do the job liao..

Posted 24 October 2007 - 01:02 AM

Bearbear1494
  • Bearbear1494
    4th Gear
    Author Image

Yup, which is why I said my sources are hardly the most trustworthy around. Thanks for the explanation though. smile.gif

Back to Performance and Tuning  ·  Aftermarket Top Reply to this topic

Related user reviews on sgCarMart.com

Fong Kim Exhaust System Pte Ltd

Fong Kim Exhaust System Pte Ltd  |  Rating   Submit Review

Reviewed by Evan  |  Neutral Newbie

Fong Kim Ubi Outlet---> Tried & Tested

Went to Ubi outlet to change the exhaust tip for my Audi after "Graffiti-zation" To complete the look.

The "Gao shou" (expert--uncle in glasses) is in this outlet I tell you.
Amazing work!

Fong Kim Exhaust System Pte Ltd

Fong Kim Exhaust System Pte Ltd  |  Rating   Submit Review

Reviewed by sukamain  |  Neutral Newbie

Bought a BC coilover and their CJ brakes almost a year ago for my I30 and till now I have no regrets about the purchase. The brakes are solid. The staffs are friendly and always helpful, even the boss is a humble man.

Related Motor Directory search on sgCarMart.com : Fong Kim Exhaust System Pte Ltd, Jeep Chee Trading Pte Ltd

Quick Reply

Also tagged with these keywords: exhaust , welding , jeep , chee , fong

Tags: exhaust, welding, jeep, chee and 1 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users