Driving in Hawaii

Foofam77

Neutral Newbie

Anyone tried driving in Hawaii's Big Island before?

It is a left-hand drive system over there.

Do i need to convert my Singapore driving license to an International driving license?

thanks

↡ Advertisement

No need to convert license.....

Easy to drive around and in fact, I covered the entire island in a day....

If not used to the left hand drive, then go slow for the 1st couple of hours. Once you get the hang of it, there's nothing to it.

Just make sure you get an automatic as their manual cars might come in shift stick form, and can make matters worse...

Neutral Newbie

It depends on which rental company and the degree of insurance coverage you want. normally, USD 30-40. Dont worry, just follow the car in front and go slow till you get used to the driving condition. What other island are you going apart from Big Island and Oahu which i presume you will be arriving at.

Supercharged

Check with AA whether u need IDP. This is more so to safe-guard in case of claims (touch wood).

Don't let small matter spoil yr vacation.

Yes, go for auto cos not easily to get use to manual especially since u hv been driving auto for sometime.

Enjoy yr holidays n hope to hear good news on upon yr return

Neutral Newbie

Maui island as well...

but only on Big Island need to self-drive

the others all tour-guided plus mixture of F&E...

you been to these 3 islands before?

any good recommendations?

flying China Airlines...wat you think? safe?

JAL's airport charges are too expensive

Neutral Newbie

check with AAS liao...

safer to apply for a IDP...just in case...

cost me $20 plus 2 photos...

but valid for one yr...

is it true or not?

Supercharged

nod.gif it is true. not only that, you have to bring along s'pore driving licence.

last time, when spain & portugal was not in the EU, i manage to rent a manual LHD with just s'pore driving licence. do check the operation hrs of the car rental coy as we had to leave the car keys at the reception on day of departure as coy didn't open that early thereby forfeiting deposit of SGD 400 bigcry.gif (big sum of monies considering this happen in '97)

so, i would suggest u check the rental & recovery of deposit carefully. plse remember to get the necessary insurance coverage & do get an updated map.

Neutral Newbie

Dun need International Drviving License. Just make sure to go slow while adapting to left-hand drive. Dun be surprised at times, u'will be landed on the wrong side of road which happened to me [laugh]

Edited by Hotsoup

Neutral Newbie

yup been to these 3 islands. My wife preferred Oahu cos there's shopping in Honolulu. well, it depends on what you want. Which hotel are you staying in the 3 islands? I take Northwest via narita each time i fly there. dont know much about china airline.

for "necessary insurance coverage ", shd i buy from the car rental company or something else is more advisable?

also, with respect to topping up fuel in Hawaii... do they use petrol or gas?

and when i return the car, must i top up to full tank?

Seems like you had never rent a car in a oversea country.

The insurance coverage will always arrange together from the rental company.

You can just check the internet for those big rental company like 'Her**', 'Av**' etc.. You will able to get a online quotation (with insurance) when you input your rental location, date/duration, car model etc.. It is always better to make a reservation for the car before you travel.

Edited by Tohto

Neutral Newbie

For the big rental company like Hertz, National, Avis, the tank will be full when you get the car.

You can opt to buy the whole tank of petrol so that you don't have to look for petrol stations to fill up before returning the car, esp. if you are in a hurry to catch a flight. No refund for the balance fuel thought.

To save some money, you can opt not to purchase their fuel, after which you'll need to return the car with the tank full. If not, they will bring down to the nearest 1/8 marking and charge you the fuel accordingly. But the price per gallon will be much higher than the normal pump price. ( They charge me $1.6 per gallon when the usual pump price is only $1.10, 10 yrs ago [:p] )

Also note that for some area, the tax for rentals at the airport is higher than that in town (something like 18% vs 9%).

Free Mileage is usually 100 or 150 miles per day. Should be enough cos don't think there is that much roads to drive on the island.

Some credit card do cover the insurance. CHeck with your credit card co. If not, just get from the rental co. Think you also get 500 airline miles for each rental from the big 3 [thumbsup] . Remember to ask for it.

Edited by Fondue
↡ Advertisement