Car breakdown at night

Paul78

Neutral Newbie

Advice needed.

What to thing to do if car breakdown in middle of night?

Any cheap towing services to recommend?

Any 24 hrs workshop to go to?

Thanks.

↡ Advertisement

Tow truck got 24hrs service.

Workshop, dont tink got 24hrs service ones ard.

The next better way is those road side assistance company like CAS, AA, Star n AD dealers. Pay a little subscription yrly n call them when u in trouble. They would come n help u check ur car n assist u. If they cant resolve it, they'll call the tow truck n tow it to their workshop or ur workshop(that's for AA).

It happened to me b4 when I was driving a COE car, twice. [thumbsup]

Ppl stand-by at night to tow your car leh. How cheap u want? [:/][:p]

24hrs tow service only but workshop I dun think so lah.

Tow truck will tow your car to your appointed workshop either AD or Insurance appointed workshop.

U can call your insurance coy also, I believe they have a 24hr hotline on stand-by, they can help u arrange for tow truck also. Sigh, read the copy of your insurance coverage kept in your car. [:/]

I was with CAS, COE car broke down on its way to the petrol station. Cant restart car so I called CAS, they send a guy in van to check the car. He tried all his known method also cant start it. He called for tow truck to tow it to CAS Sin Ming for them to resolve the problem. It was late Sat afternoon, workshop close liao so left car there.

Mon morning, CAS Sin Ming called me n ask me wat problem wif car. I told them cannot start. He told me he just started the car w/o any problems at all. Told me to collect car n no need to pay anything. FOC for checking only.

Another time, early morning 7am, unable to start car cos battery dead. Called CAS n they despatch their road side assistance to me but would take an hour to reach me. I called boss to take e-leave, went back to bed n told CAS to come at lunch time when I'm awake. [laugh] The guy came at the designated time, did some test to confirm dead batt n change it on the spot wif brand new ones. I paid for the new batts only. Labour cost is free. the guy ensure that the car is able to start b4 he left.

Thatz all from CAS. Stopped using them after getting my current ride which is under TCM warranty. Anything call TCM hotline n they'll come n check.

hi Paul78

OCBC platinum card holder gets free towing service 24 hours but I think it is from STAR and they will only tow back to STAR workshop and not your preferred workshop.

Not sure if AA offer 24 hours towing service.

[drivingcar][drivingcar]

This cny period I witness most cars breakdown - cny eve 01 new harrier & vw new jetta; cny day one 01 maserati dunno what model, cny day two 01 old picanto. Really not a good time to have such issue; best is nvr need to encounter such issue thru out car ownership.

• Praise 1

This cny period I witness most cars breakdown - cny eve 01 new harrier & vw new jetta; cny day one 01 maserati dunno what model, cny day two 01 old picanto. Really not a good time to have such issue; best is nvr need to encounter such issue thru out car ownership.

Nowadays, cars come with many electronics which are battery sapping.

Rule of thumb for battery replacement.

1) Car comes with lots of electronics like i-key, ICE, car cam on standby mode - replace every 18 months

2) Normal bread and butter basic car like Nissan Almera - replace every 24 months

It's the inconvenience that is not worth the trouble and savings to b extend your battery life.

Nowadays, cars come with many electronics which are battery sapping.

Rule of thumb for battery replacement.

1) Car comes with lots of electronics like i-key, ICE, car cam on standby mode - replace every 18 months

2) Normal bread and butter basic car like Nissan Almera - replace every 24 months

It's the inconvenience that is not worth the trouble and savings to b extend your battery life.

The issue was these issues occurred in the middle of the road, likely not able to move off after traffic light turn green or other situation that still render car b able to b driven but at limping mode so it could still pullover at road side. Did these have anything to do w batt? I thot if batt was the issue, the most can't drive off from parking lot rather than middle of some roads.

I was with CAS, COE car broke down on its way to the petrol station. Cant restart car so I called CAS, they send a guy in van to check the car. He tried all his known method also cant start it. He called for tow truck to tow it to CAS Sin Ming for them to resolve the problem. It was late Sat afternoon, workshop close liao so left car there.

Mon morning, CAS Sin Ming called me n ask me wat problem wif car. I told them cannot start. He told me he just started the car w/o any problems at all. Told me to collect car n no need to pay anything. FOC for checking only.

Another time, early morning 7am, unable to start car cos battery dead. Called CAS n they despatch their road side assistance to me but would take an hour to reach me. I called boss to take e-leave, went back to bed n told CAS to come at lunch time when I'm awake. laugh.gif The guy came at the designated time, did some test to confirm dead batt n change it on the spot wif brand new ones. I paid for the new batts only. Labour cost is free. the guy ensure that the car is able to start b4 he left.

Thatz all from CAS. Stopped using them after getting my current ride which is under TCM warranty. Anything call TCM hotline n they'll come n check.

what is CAS? service seems ok.

what is CAS? service seems ok.

Comfort Automotive Services.

They are no longer called that or in operation. Now I think its called Sparks, not sure if they provide similar services.

you have a good website but how come it does not mention the cost for towing services..... how do I know if my vehicle is lux cat?  or normal B&B cat?

Also is towing to your workshops ONLY or our workshops ?? 

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

IMO breaking down in SG is still not that bad. Worst case leave the car there and retrieve the next morning.

In Malaysia, especially at night stranded on B roads, jialat already..

Once kenna flat tire with damaged rims in Desaru while on the way back to resort after dinner.

Imagine the kind of feeling as night fell.

• Praise 1

IMO breaking down in SG is still not that bad. Worst case leave the car there and retrieve the next morning.

In Malaysia, especially at night stranded on B roads, jialat already..

Once kenna flat tire with damaged rims in Desaru while on the way back to resort after dinner.

Imagine the kind of feeling as night fell.

ha ha... that reminds me. I kanna before, think ~18 yr ago. Was driving home from Adam Rd towards McRitchie direction after work, and along the way, the radio started to no sound, and then the lights dimmed, and stepped on accelerator also not much response... I quickly turned into Island Country club and slowly parked at the carpark there. Took a cab home after manually locking the car.

Next day (a Sat) got tow truck to tow to workshop. Alternator conked off, needed to replace.

Wah, in foreign land if happened... really will feel v helpless...

↡ Advertisement