New Car Battery Price?

Beachboys

AA also must make money.

Think all the calls to jump start battery don't need money?

What they are looking for is to sell battery to cover their costs and hopefully make a profit at the same time.

When a driver is caught with a dead battery, he is in the most vulnerable position. He has not much bargaining power, unlike when he goes looking around to buy a new battery.

The more ulu the place the car breakdowns, the more vulnerable he is in.

You can sell battery on the spot at a high price, and tell him, take it or leave it.

Edited by Kb27
↡ Advertisement

You can sell battery on the spot at a high price, and tell him, take it or leave it.

==================

now $160 by those mobile ones are stil quite ok....4 yrs ago i was caught in exact situation and had to pay $120 plus 5% GST for a wet cell batt...really knife.gif but also LL... laugh.gif

but i thk batt is really heng sway la....jus practice good battery preserving habits...

IMHO, AA membership is more suitable for those who are less car-techie who at least have an number to call to seek assistance when stranded, even at odd hours. Not all problems are battery related and that in the event the car can't be started due to other problems, tow can be easily arranged.

Of course one can be prepared with a battery jump start cables and seek help from a friend. But do note that, not all problems are battery related and even if its battery related, if it is not a dead battery but a battery which has short-circuited, would anyone dare to connect his/her working battery to one?

My suggestion is DO NOT be a good samaritan and try to jump start someone's car. If all goes well then it is ok and smiles all round. What if there is spike and the stray high amp damage the on-board computer or other electrconic devices/acc. The dead car owner will definelty start pointing finger at this smart alex and claim for damages - so how.

Car battery just died on me and had to activate AA to jump-start. They quoted $160 for a Aamron maintenance free and I was like !?!?!? coz I remembered should be around $80 to $100~ Heard its becoz of the lead prices increase etc and most car batteries prices are upped~

Whats the market rate now ah? Should I change @ the authorised distributor (MM) coz I happen to be going servicing tml?

did he tell you there is 1 yrs / 20,000km warranty for the battery?

i get my batteries from my AD now, paid 100+ as they have warranty for it, and I'm lucky enough to change 1 times FOC @ 18000km.

the last time i went to 3rd party workshop to change to a $80 battery with only 3 mths 'personal' warranty. battery went weak after 9 months. [shakehead]

imho, you pay for what you get.

Edited by Slowmo

Good preventive maintenance, monitoring,right capacity and no overloading with acc = long life battery

==========

thumbsup.gif

plus if can, off your aircon, player and rear windscreen heater before shut off engine..scholar.gif

yup it could b both a dead batt and faulty alternator...then even if jump start, the car wont last very long..

general rules tat i use for testing dead battery are horn, headlights, radio. sly.gif

Business wise it's is not safe to sell battery with more than 1 weeks warranty unless the seller has the tech capacity to check the alternator's output and ac to dc retification. The repalcment brand new battery will be ruined if the alternator is not performing well and if the alternator rectification is not functioning 100% , just a 10% leak of AC into the battery, overtime the battery suffer internal damage.

Visual inspection can be misleading - I prefer to use a Digital mulitmeter or a auto battery/alternator tester to be 100% sure , that the fault is a weak battery , loose connections or the alternator.

My suggestion is DO NOT be a good samaritan and try to jump start someone's car. If all goes well then it is ok and smiles all round. What if there is spike and the stray high amp damage the on-board computer or other electrconic devices/acc. The dead car owner will definelty start pointing finger at this smart alex and claim for damages - so how.

I totally agree... worse is your own car electronics get damaged! [sweatdrop]

Usually I keep a DMM handy for voltage measurement. [:)]

who ask u to buy from them.

normally i jus ask them to tow to simming there lotsa workshop. then find a shop that can sell mi cheap.

my 70amh dry batt cost mi ard $115 there only

dun need those branded ones.. i using those thai made batt meant for asian hot weathers.

so far no problem... i 1.5 yrs change batt... tats was i was not on AA. no problem at all , just i preventive mainteenance so i dun get stalled up stranded somewhere . even when blasting ICE.

now on AA i see how long my thai batt can last, then call towing to SM to change batt.

AA is good on towing free in sing and MY.

Edited by Circuit

$160 is a completet rip off. why does AA charge such exhorbitant price?

=========================

As I mentioned, the company pays the bill so they can get away with it. [sly]

If I had to pay for it myself, I wud never get it from them.

i used to be an AA member and after i found out their abit more ex than otuside workshop

i stopped after one year now i rather hav a jump start cable in my car in case my batt flat

=======================

Since my car is an auto, I also have a jumper cable in the boot. [nod]

↡ Advertisement