2nd hand Kia Carens

Followthelaw

Hi all Bros/Sis,

I just saw this Kia Carens 1.8A,reg in 2004.I was quoted last price of $36,000.7 years more to go.

I need all the advice what to look out for in this car,I planning to take the car for evaluation at Vicom.

Pls pls, I need all the advice I can get.

I appreciate all advices

not worth it.. dun buy.. 04 caren.. most likely all major parts giving way soon :excl:

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

not worth it.. dun buy.. 04 caren.. most likely all major parts giving way soon :excl:

i agreed. a safer buy would be models 2007 and above.. price range is now $45k++ still relatively cheap in today's rocketing COE context

Sorry to dig up this old thread but with the COE prices still high + loan rules...

Anyone still driving 2007 or 2008 Carens? 

Other than high FC, how is the spare parts availability, repair cost and car reliability (breakdown)?

Sorry to dig up this old thread but with the COE prices still high + loan rules...

Anyone still driving 2007 or 2008 Carens?

Other than high FC, how is the spare parts availability, repair cost and car reliability (breakdown)?

I'm driving this model.

Fc about 9.5km/L on RON95 petrol running on 17" wheels.

Simple car with many parts easily available and not expensive.

I am driving a Carens too.Spare parts are easily available both in SG and Online.I usually buy online from www.koraps.com or www.fourgreen.com and pay by Paypal for buyer protection. I have yet to encounter a fraud.Before going to buy online, goto http://www.kiapartsoverstock.com/, they have a Microcat online to check your part number.

I am driving a Carens too.Spare parts are easily available both in SG and Online.I usually buy online from wwwkorapscom or wwwfourgreencom and pay by Pay pal for buyer protection. I have yet to encounter a fraud.Before going to buy online, goto wwwkiapartsoverstockcom, they have a Microcat online to check your part number. Goods sold are not returnable.I do preventive maintenance to prevent breakdown. Things I change :Serpentine Belt, ABS sensor,Engine Mount Bracket, O2 Sensors, Clock-spring Assembly, Window Assembly, Brake Hose, Fuel Pump Assembly, Fuel Filter, Brake Pad, Courtesy Lamp, OCV.

Hihi, am currently driving a 07 carens...as mentioned here...loving it other than wishing the fc can be better..just wondering if renewing the coe for the existing carens is a wise thing to do...my mileage is only 103k at 9 yrs...I do worry about parts availability for the next 10 years..any tots anyone?

If you just got it, I am not sure you want to renew. Not just because it is a Carens, but any car models.  Really.

If not, a lot of people just renew on a feel good factor - Engine sound OK, smooth, GB look OK ...... Everything is GOOD.  Then you end up with a 9K penalty or top 4K to fix something - a Dilemma.

If you still insist to renew.  DO :

a) EO analysis

b) ATF analysis

At least without opening up your Engine and GB. You will know roughly if you should renew.

Don't worry if you screw up, the penalty is only the PARF 9K+

When you turn your key to ON, did you see "AIR BAG" lightup for 10 second before going off ?

Anyway, a car generally can use up to 20~30 years when maintain well.  NOT 10 years.  

A car typically need 50 barrel eqv. of crude energy to make.

For spare parts goto www.koraps.com - Pay by PayPal to enjoy 45 days of Buyer Protection.

Hihi, am currently driving a 07 carens...as mentioned here...loving it other than wishing the fc can be better..just wondering if renewing the coe for the existing carens is a wise thing to do...my mileage is only 103k at 9 yrs...I do worry about parts availability for the next 10 years..any tots anyone?

I got it in 2014. Do the normal mechanic do this EO and ATF analysis?

The mechanic says all is good.However, the transmission fluid has been changed twice so far. When I asked, the reply on the second round was that the fluid is already not clean.

Yes, the airbag lights for 10 seconds. What does it mean if it does not?

The analysis should cost about $80~100 per analysis.  And the results is a long list of numbers.  For example, if too much water is detected it could mean that you have a gasket seal problem etc.

If I am not wrong, there is a test lab in Little Road - ALS Engrg/lab.

Technically, ATF do not need to be changed if the GB is doing fine.  In the Carens manual it said inspect every 60kkm ??

If you need to change ATF twice, it is either your mechanic did not do a good job or there is something wrong with your GB.

DO:

Get a clean piece of tissue paper.

Wipe ATF dipstick.  What is the colour ? Did you see fine little black particles ? Particle means problem starting already - too late.

My Carens, I think already reach 60~70kkm, pinkish to light brownish tone.  It is OK, the pink dye degrade over time to little brownish colour.

I got it in 2014. Do the normal mechanic do this EO and ATF analysis?
The mechanic says all is good.However, the transmission fluid has been changed twice so far. When I asked, the reply on the second round was that the fluid is already not clean.
Yes, the airbag lights for 10 seconds. What does it mean if it does not?

Aiya bro, don't be lazy la ...... it is everywhere on the internet la ....

Thank you.
Can anyone share a link to the service manual of this hippo carens?

Supercharged

Aiya bro, don't be lazy la ...... it is everywhere on the internet la ....

Bro, airbag light lights up 10s go off means ok I suppose? The issue is when it doesn't go off rite?

@Fuelsaver, thank you.

The engine now has moments of idling revolution falling suddenly causing the car to shudder. It happens when I reverse slowly also.I understand this one can be a few possible reasons. Used to drive a coe car that behaved like that. Am wondering if there is any known common cause for this behaviour in this car?

@Fuelsaver, thank you.

The engine now has moments of idling revolution falling suddenly causing the car to shudder. It happens when I reverse slowly also.I understand this one can be a few possible reasons. Used to drive a coe car that behaved like that. Am wondering if there is any known common cause for this behaviour in this car?

I'm not sure of the cause behibd this too. Mine didnt stall but slightly more pronounced vibration felt at steering wheel. Idling rpm is stable, just more pronounced vib felt.

Sorry for the late reply.  Yes.

Kia Airbag Warning light they hard to clear, can only be cleared by Kia GDS.

Bro, airbag light lights up 10s go off means ok I suppose? The issue is when it doesn't go off rite?

Sound like the Engine Mount Dampener lor.  Go look at the dampener, it is sunken and almost touching the mount casing.

I'm not sure of the cause behibd this too. Mine didnt stall but slightly more pronounced vibration felt at steering wheel. Idling rpm is stable, just more pronounced vib felt.

@Fuelsaver, thank you.

There are a few possibilities... one is the throttle body is dirty so that the throttle valve cannot open smoothly or the fuel/air mixture cannot flow into the combustion chamber properly. This causes uneven combustion and leads to the fluctuations in the engine RPM. Second is that the oxygen sensor is not working properly. It helps detect the oxygen levels in the combustion chamber and adjusts the amount of air intake to mix with the fuel before injecting into the combustion chamber. Third possibility is that your spark plugs are failing so they don't provide sufficient spark to burn the fuel properly. Reversing require higher revs since the reverse gear is geared to a lower ratio and needs more fuel to move the car.

An experienced mechanic will be able to isolate the reason quickly. Usually they will just change the spark plugs and clean the throttle body first and then ask you to drive for a few days and monitor the idling. If there's still a problem, then then they will replace the oxygen sensor. This is more expensive so it will not be the first thing they propose to change.

↡ Advertisement