Review on an overhaul job.

Vesfreq

Neutral Newbie

Hi,

Some of the guys here may have already known that I'm driving a 2nd hand cheongster car. Its a car with certain... annoying problems. Within the first week of collection, I went for the first servicing at a certain workshop. All the braking, steering, engine oils were changed, including coolant fluid. The mechanic also opened the engine cover and manifold. The inside of the engine was... grostesque. (pic coming later) Accumulation of carbon was unbelievable.

Finally, when the engine suffered from a certain coolant leak, I had no choice but to send the vehicle to fix the leak. The source of the leak was located beneath the engine manifold. It was a rather difficult spot to reach. Engine had to be dissambled to replace the leaking component.

The workshop which did the work was located in JB. (pm me for details) The general misconception people had about jb was that repair work is cheap, but quality is sometimes dubious. I had the same impression, until I was referred to this workshop. They mod and tune drift cars for competition.

But, lets get back to the story. The coolant leak was initially fixed with an industrial grade gum. I had little faith in the gum, so hence told the jb workshop to commence works on replacing the leaking part. The work took a painful 10 days.

When i went back to collect the vehicle, I was late. The owner of the workshop was very nice to wait back for me to collect the car. Great service attitude. [thumbsup] In fact, I called him on a daily basis over the 10 day period to find out the status of the repair works. He was still patient enough to update me. In fact, he went further to overhaul the engine + cleared out all the carbon accumulation in the engine, since the repair works required disassmbling of the engine.

The vehicle drove great, after the overhaul works. All fluids and some gaskets were changed and stiffness of the steering wheel was deliberately adjusted harder, for firmer handling. Workmanship is awesome, though it was the first time he handled a celica ss2.

If u r driving a cheongster car and need help with certain annoying issues with ur car, do drop me a pm so that i can arrange for u to visit his shop. [thumbsup] Cars he did before include 200sx, evo, euro r and others.

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Carbon, i think. Same as sludge. Nice car? Its a silly car. [sly] Brought me plenty of unwanted probs initially. I didn't know it came with tein coils. Good thing the workshop got the stuff to tune pfc and adjust tein coils. Best is they even got lobang to overhaul tein coils. [thumbsup]

Thankfully met the right workshop. The boss' comment about the overhauling the ss2 engine was... "zhen gou li". Also because the amount of sludge was incredible... he had to literally scrub the crap off. [sweatdrop] But, he managed to do it, except he cannot do rotary and boxer at the moment. [thumbsup]

Edited by Vesfreq

Carbon is from the burning of fuel, sludge is from "oil deposits".

Suggestion if I may bro. Run and change a HDEO in your engine for 2000kms X2. It sounds like a leaky head gasket that started the overhaul. Even though they managed to clean the head, the oil galleries in the block etc may still be coated in sludge.

Its obvious (since the SS2 is NOT an old car) that the previous owner did not follow the maintenance schedule properly. He/she should be shot!!!

Also I hope you asked the shop to use a thinner but metal headgasket to raise your compression for just that lil bit more extra power [sly]

Edited by Elfenstar

Did you get from one of the celica club guys? Most of them do take good care of the car, the condition of the car sounds quite bad. For my almost 5 years ownership of the car and 180K of mileage, I don't have any major issues through religious servicing schedule and replacement of renewable items.

Neutral Newbie

Bro, thx for the enlightenment. Didn't know the diff between carbon and sludge. [:p] In that case, the accumulation of sludge was incredible. To quote my mech, it was like gui lin gao inside. [shocked]

Didn't know how the previous owner handled the car. He is just a strange guy. Talked lots with a few other guys about the car. But, what the heck, the car finally driving as it should be. The stranger thing is the power delivery also very different, compared with before overhaul. [sly]

lol. First round, using motul. [sly] Money well spent.

Neutral Newbie

Dun think its anyone of them. No one knows the history about the car. I already brought the car back to life. Period.

Celica is cheongster car? [sweatdrop]

anyway, u can try AutoRX. lots of good things said about AutoRX to clean up engine internal mess. it's quite gentle, compared to those 15min engine cleaners.

anyway, Motul oil is a good choice. Group V (ester base stock) oil, helps clean the engine in the long run too.

anyway, i think the car is now in better hands!

Nice car la bro... SS2 somemore - VVTL-i 190bhp. [thumbsup]

Better do regular oil changes now. Actually wad Elfenstar suggested is to use HDEO - Heavy Duty Engine Oil for diesel vehicles, eg Mobil Delvac, Caltex Delo

U may wanna try engine flushing or Auto-RX shld the sludge form again. [nod]