Losing Radiator Water

Ben123

Neutral Newbie

Hi,

I am driving a 6 yr old car. Recently I noticed the car temp went above halfway mark. Upon checking, I discovered the overflow radiator tank has been depleted of water. I am not sure if there is really a leak in the system as the leak is not noticeable and I only need to top-up with water once a month. Anyone care to enlighten me if this is really a small leak or it is a typical case of an old car yhat requires regular maintenance? (monthly top-up of water)

↡ Advertisement

6 year old car? Well, you might want to check the hoses connecting from the radiator to the engine block... Next is the water pump, which might be another possibility. I'm driving a 11 year old car and so far, radiator loosing water case has been a water pump issue, got it replace during its 6 year period and recently at 11 years period of driving...

If the water turns brown, meaning rust is within the circulation, and it would block the circulation. Try to flush out all water from the radiator and fill it with 'new' water, best is distill ones... Crack radiator might also cause leakages but it should be easily spotted at initial stage...

One way to observe is to check the entire water system with engine off after driving. Any leakage should be able to spot unless it involves a gasket issue.

Hope it helps

Actually all the above mentioned could be your cause, but they all have very distinct tell tale sign and symptoms.

But if you never force induct your engine and do regular servicing, then the most likely cause would be a cracked radiator which is the most common cause for losing radiator water.

The top and bottom assembly of the stock OE radiator is actually plastic and their lifespan is usually around 4~5 years, with some cars, especially Subaru, bursting their radiator prematurely.

[;)]