Vehicle Registration Numbers Retention & Transfer (Process & Fees)

Chibibotto

Neutral Newbie

not cheap to swap no. plates over to old car..unless the number is very unqiue then worth it. Else use the $ to bid for another number better. :D

↡ Advertisement

not cheap to swap no. plates over to old car..unless the number is very unqiue then worth it. Else use the $ to bid for another number better. :D

bid another number? u must be kidding.

Bidding starts from minimum S$1007 and does not guarantee that you will get the number.

Transfer only S$1300 from old car to another old car and it is guarantee.

Neutral Newbie

yes.. it is transfer from old car to old car is 1300. but if transfer to new car only 100. therefore in ur scenario. both parties will need to pay 1300 each to retain no.

correct me if im wrong.

in this case both party must go to lta and request to retain old no. lta will then issue both cars with new no. plate. next do the transfer of vehicle . later apply to register the old no. plate on the car they just swap.

Person A and B, before selling their cars, first pay 1300 to retain their #s and get new plates for Car A and B. After which, they transact the sale. Once Person A get Car B, transfer the ABC plate back on. Once Person B gets Car A, put the DEF plate back on. Quite simple really :) After which, inform the respective insurers about the change.

Ok, I have this scenario:

Person A got Car A with license plate ABC

Person B got Car B with license plate DEF

Person A want to sell his car A to Person B and Buy Car B from Person A, but Person A want to keep his ABC plate and Person B want to retain his plate DEF.

So the final outcome will be:

Person A, Car B, plate ABC

Person B, Car A, plate DEF

Anyone can advise the procedure?

Ok I know for person A to buy Car B, he need to get the insurance for himself with Car B. And Person B to get insurance himself with Car A. Then with the documents they both go down to LTA to fill up the transfer form for the cars and pay accordingly.

But how to process if both want to retain their old plate numbers? Pay 100 fee? then insurance part how to settle?

I was going through LTA website but them only talk about retaining number of de-registered car.

I need advise from gurus here who bought 2nd-hand car and transfer their old plate number to the car. Please advise me on the procedure.

Thank you..

Based on TS scenario, when both want to keep their old plates, the steps would be this:

1. Person B buys his new car and registers with DEF. Car B will be issued with a new plate.

2. Person A buys Car B.

3. Person A pays LTA $1300 to swap ABC to Car B. Car A will be issued with a new plate.

4. Person A sells Car A.

this won't achieve TS's required outcome lah. Person B wants Car A.

If I am not wrong, the no plate of an existing car can be transferred to another existing car (not new) only if the car from which the no is being transferred is scrapped/exported. Transferring to new of course no problem but not from one old car to another without scrapping one car.

No need to be scrapped or exported. the only impt requirement is that both used vehicles must be in same owner name., this website may help http://www.onemotoring.com.sg/publish/onem...cle_number.html

Bro Achtung's suggestion above should work. Another way to do this is:

1. Person A buys Car B from Person B

2. Person A proceeds to mutually swap the cars' plates

3. Person A sells Car A to Person B

4. Voila!!

Edited by Longhorn

But how to process if both want to retain their old plate numbers? Pay 100 fee?

btw $100 only applies to new cars. This will cost you much more... should be at least $2600 total or $1300 per party...maybe more?

You need to go down to LTA. All the relevant answers are there. As for your case, just prepare $1300. Money can solve everything, dun worry.[sunny]

Edited by Redplanet

You need to go down to LTA. All the relevant answers are there. As for your case, just prepare $1300. Money can solve everything, dun worry.[sunny]

The $1300/- is for one time payment or every year got to pay. Heard that transfer VRN to old car has to pay yearly while VRN to new car is one time payment of $100/-.

Before A can buy Car B, Owner of Car B must already retained his own #. So A purchased Car B with new LTA assigned #.

No need to be scrapped or exported. the only impt requirement is that both used vehicles must be in same owner name., this website may help http://www.onemotoring.com.sg/publish/onem...cle_number.html

Bro Achtung's suggestion above should work. Another way to do this is:

1. Person A buys Car B from Person B

2. Person A proceeds to mutually swap the cars' plates

3. Person A sells Car A to Person B

4. Voila!!

The $1300/- is for one time payment or every year got to pay. Heard that transfer VRN to old car has to pay yearly while VRN to new car is one time payment of $100/-.

One time payment only.

Every year $1300 i peng san. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

There are 3 Applications that both Person A and Person B have to do concurrently:

1.Apply for retain of existing number plate.

2.Apply for transfer of vehicle ownership.

3.Apply for retained number plate to be put onto the vehicle that you are buying.

For item 1 and 3, will cost 1,300.00

For item 2, depends. can check vehicle transfer fee in onemotoring website.

DO NOTE THAT OUTSTANDING LOAN (IF ANY) HAS TO BE SETTLED BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH THE ABOVE.

If there are loans involved, or loans to be taken for both Person buying each other's car, Its better to engage a Car Dealer to do all the paper work which can be very troublesome. Just need to pay that dealer a small fee for it.

Hope it helps

As for insurance, both party will have to purchase insurance showing the existing number plate first, because veh transfer in usually faster (1-2days). Retain and replcement of veh number will take about 1 week for LTA to process. LTA will send you 2 letters:

1.Suceesful retain of number plate

2.Successfuk replacement of number plate

During that 1 week of processing period, new number plate will be assigned to both vehicles.

After 2nd notification by LTA on successfuk replacement, both party can then paste the retained number onto their new car. After which a copy of that LTA replacement letter has to be forwarded to insurance company for endorsement.

Sounds very complicated right?? I had been thru that, but my car dealer does all the work.

One more thing, do remember to make a few copies of the LTA letters incase you get parking summon if you have a HDB season ticket so that you can write in to appeal because the car is carrying a different number plate during that week. And it doesnt make sense to inform HDB on the 1st change of assigned number, and then inform again upon the replacement... Very LEHCEH process...

Neutral Newbie

So as per one sceanario posted here, I've 2 cars now both in my name. If I want to swap the plates, I pay $2,600? I wish to sell the (older) car that has the number that I wish to retain.

Why so silly? Pay 2x? And I'm the registered owner of both, and I'm not trying to make money from the sale number plates.

So no way out? Can somebody advise? Many thanks.

↡ Advertisement