Vehicle Registration Numbers Retention & Transfer (Process & Fees)

Chibibotto

Apart from the fees to transfer number from existing car to another existing car, which I believe works out to S$2.6k, remember to factor in the transfer fees (payable to LTA) to change ownership of the 2 cars. That amount will depend on the car's OMV, etc.

↡ Advertisement

So as per one sceanario posted here, I've 2 cars now both in my name. If I want to swap the plates, I pay $2,600? I wish to sell the (older) car that has the number that I wish to retain.

Why so silly? Pay 2x? And I'm the registered owner of both, and I'm not trying to make money from the sale number plates.

So no way out? Can somebody advise? Many thanks.

every retained number that u wish to use on a used car, u need to pay $1300. in your scenario, u are technically using TWO retained numbers on TWO cars. Hence the $2600.

there is a way out (i think...).

1. Sell the older car and retain the number. LTA will assigned a new number to your old car.

2. Transfer this retained number to your other car.

3. You only pay $1300.

Must qualify that I am not 100% sure this will work. go clarify w LTA

Edited by Longhorn

Neutral Newbie

DO NOTE THAT OUTSTANDING LOAN (IF ANY) HAS TO BE SETTLED BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH THE ABOVE.

For transfer to new car..does the above apply??

I always feel this $1300 fee for swapping reg plate to used car ridiculously obscene!! Retaining old plate to new car is only $100... Wats the logic behind. If i hv the time (like retirees), i will surely make a big hoo-ha in the media... Nowadays everything is done by computers, no manual work to talk abt. Now even changing the colour of a car is free and paper-free!!

correct me if i am wrong.

transfer number plate between two existing cars will be consider as ownership transfer and it should be based on the car make/model to confirm the pricing.

this method can be quite costly.~

That's transfer fee. Not change license plate.

This question has been on my mind for quite some time, need to get it off my chest.

The current vehicle transfer fee is $11 but the current number plate retention fee is $1300 (to old car). Then to transfer the number onto new car, it costs only $100.

All 3 have seemingly identical process and costs imo, but why is there such a big difference in fee collected. No matter how you compare the 3 fees, cant make sense to me...

• Praise 2

Transfer fee used to be fairly high as well and it was adjusted awhile back to this current level.

The number plate retention fees are the one that is a puzzle to me for awhile as well. In the past there are paperwork to be handled and since LTA have already computerised almost all of its operation, the amount of work to transfer a vehicle or a number plate shouldn't differ that much.

May be we all should write in to seek clarify and also to suggest a revision of such fees.

• Praise 1

This question has been on my mind for quite some time, need to get it off my chest.

The current vehicle transfer fee is $11 but the current number plate retention fee is $1300 (to old car). Then to transfer the number onto new car, it costs only $100.

All 3 have seemingly identical process and costs imo, but why is there such a big difference in fee collected. No matter how you compare the 3 fees, cant make sense to me...

i think what mentioned was either incorrect or not clear.

if retained a number frm a de-registering car, jz need to pay only $100. later on use it to register for a new car, it's free.

it is only costly when there is a need to have a new number for the veh that the number is retaining frm.

eg. retain number 888 frm Car A, 888 will b used for Car B. then Car A is not de-reg, so need a new number for Car A.

i guess the high cost is to discourage ppl frm doing this.

• Praise 1

i think what mentioned was either incorrect or not clear.

if retained a number frm a de-registering car, jz need to pay only $100. later on use it to register for a new car, it's free.

it is only costly when there is a need to have a new number for the veh that the number is retaining frm.

eg. retain number 888 frm Car A, 888 will b used for Car B. then Car A is not de-reg, so need a new number for Car A.

i guess the high cost is to discourage ppl frm doing this.

Good point.

I tend to retain my existing number to be transferred to a used car that I bought. The number has sentimental value to me that is why I am doing that despite the $1,300 charge.

Looking at it from logistic standpoint, there is no difference in using old number on new car or old number on used car. If LTA system has trouble administering the old number, then it would be an issue to keep old number on new car as well right?

Some of these procedures and charges are historical in nature, perhaps there need to be more public feedback for LTA to conduct a review.

It's more leh chay to transfer license number to old car.

1. If transfer to a used car, the sale car need to get a license plate. and then the new purchased used car need to remove the existing license plate and change to new one. Not sure if the existing license plate can be returned into the system and recycle or not.

2. If transfer to a new car, only the sale car need to replace new license plate. Since the new car is unregistered and do not have a license number.

Hope my explanation is correct and makes sense. Nonetheless, I also feel that $1300 is a bit too hefty a fee.

• Praise 1

Supersonic
(edited)

Read somewhere before that the $1300 for the retain of car number to other existing car, the breakdown is something like this.

$100 is to retain the exisiting number that you yourself is holding.

$1200 is to 'bid' a new car number to replace the car that the car number has been retained by you, which is the car that you are selling, fees also included the admin fees to de-registered the car number on the used car that you are buying.

Dont know how correct i am? [:p]

Edited by 13177

Internal Moderator

So what happens if you have two vehicles and you want to switch the number plates? Since you don't have to bid for a new number (direct swap), I don't suppose the $1200 should be charged?

So what happens if you have two vehicles and you want to switch the number plates? Since you don't have to bid for a new number (direct swap), I don't suppose the $1200 should be charged?

U will have to pay $2600 if u do that.. :D

Idea for LTA is to charge for retaining number to a used car and by "encouraging" u to get a new car, its "only" $100 to do the retaining... [smash]

Internal Moderator

U will have to pay $2600 if u do that.. :D

Idea for LTA is to charge for retaining number to a used car and by "encouraging" u to get a new car, its "only" $100 to do the retaining... [smash]

It's always going to be about the money huh?

↡ Advertisement