Vehicle Registration Numbers Retention & Transfer (Process & Fees)

Chibibotto

Your friend needs to retain the number first before he can proceed with the transferring of car ownership to you. Get a new car plate number and required to change to the new car plate on the mazda 3. After which then you can do your insurance using the new car plate number.

Edited by 13177
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Your friend needs to retain the number first before he can proceed with the transferring of car ownership to you. Get a new car plate number and required to change to the new car plate on the mazda 3. After which then you can do your insurance using the new car plate number.

Thank you for your help!!

Here is what I did when I transfer my number to my "new" 2nd hand car.

1. Apply to retain the number plate of existing car. LTA assigns new number to my first car. Fee $1300, and number can be retained up to a year or need to pay fee to extend. I did this online before taking ownership of the 2nd car.

2. Apply to transfer this retained number to my 2nd car. No fee payable. You can do this transaction together with name change for the 2nd car if you are paying cash and buying from direct seller.

3. Change physical number plates on both cars within 7 days, and inform insurance companies about number change. They will want proof or some sort (LTA letter).

Pls take note that to transfer numbers to the second car, both cars must be registered under same name - as mentioned in Onemotoring.

There is a tread on buying/selling nice VRN. I do not understand why some private sellers say we only need to pay $1300 as fee to LTA to transfer to your existing car. To do so will mean the seller first needs to transfer his car to buyer of the number... skali the buyer abscond with both car and number... Heck, if I sell my car number, I will not want to transfer the  car to number buyer - risk of being cheated of car and having two more owners on record.

• Praise 1

Apart from the fees to transfer number from existing car to another existing car, which I believe works out to S$2.6k, remember to factor in the transfer fees (payable to LTA) to change ownership of the 2 cars. That amount will depend on the car's OMV, etc.

The transfer fee is now $11 flat. No longer depends on car OMV/age/etc since a few years back.

I always feel this $1300 fee for swapping reg plate to used car ridiculously obscene!! Retaining old plate to new car is only $100... Wats the logic behind. If i hv the time (like retirees), i will surely make a big hoo-ha in the media... Nowadays everything is done by computers, no manual work to talk abt. Now even changing the colour of a car is free and paper-free!!

I think this $1300 is to discourage people from suka suka transferring numbers when they buy used car.

When you retain an existing number and transfer it to a used car, a new number will be issued to the existing car and the existing number of the used car will be deregistered. This causes a waste of one number and the new series of VRN is now moved faster by one number. If many people do that, we will run out of new VRNs pretty fast.

When the retained number is transferred to a new car, there is no difference on the speed of new VRN movement as far as the new car will still need a new VRN anyway if the car buyer does not transfer his existing number. Hence, the fee is only $100 to retain VRN to new vehicle.

Paying of $1300 to retain a car number to an used car consider not cheap. If you use this $1300 to bid for a brand new number, i believe you are able to get quite a nice number.

Paying of $1300 to retain a car number to an used car consider not cheap. If you use this $1300 to bid for a brand new number, i believe you are able to get quite a nice number.

Whether an existing number is worth the $1300 to transfer to a used car depends on individuals. Some really like the number for its special meaning, luck or whatever. Some of the existing numbers are really nice which is easily worth more than the $1300 to retain.

Some think a $1k wallet is a must-have, while others happily use cheap wallets and think the $1k wallets are a waste of money.

If you bid for new number to replace a newly purchased used car, on top of the money you spent on the new number bidding, you will still need to pay $300 to transfer the new number to a newly bought used car. To limit the spending to $1300, you are left with $1k to bid for new number.

For $1k, I don't think you can get a decent set of numbers unless you are very lucky. Even if the number is nice, a new VRN on an old car looks odd to me.

I understand $1300 to retain the number. It is valid for 1 year.

I recall it can be extended. How much is the extension fee and for how long each extension? How many extension can we do?

This info used to be on LTA site, now cant find already.

I understand $1300 to retain the number. It is valid for 1 year.

I recall it can be extended. How much is the extension fee and for how long each extension? How many extension can we do?

This info used to be on LTA site, now cant find already.

Available on the same page : http://www.onemotoring.com.sg/publish/onemotoring/en/lta_information_guidelines/de_register_a_vehicle/retain_number.html

A retained vehicle registration number is valid for use for 12 months from the date of approval of the application.If the retained vehicle registration number is not used within its usage validity period, it will lapse. Thereafter, the vehicle owner will no longer be able to use the retained vehicle registration number.

If the retained vehicle registration number cannot be utilised by the expiry date, the vehicle owner may apply to LTA (before the expiry date) and pay a non refundable extension fee of $1,000 and an administrative fee of $20 (subject to GST), to extend the usage validity period of the retained vehicle registration number. Each extension is for a 6-month period. There is no refund of the extension fee and pro-ration of the extension period or fee.

thanks!

so every extension is $1k and valid for 6 mths.

how many extensions are we allowed?

If you can, put the number onto a car then retain it again for $1300, can keep for 1 year. Extension will cost you $2040 for 1 year.

If you can, put the number onto a car then retain it again for $1300, can keep for 1 year. Extension will cost you $2040 for 1 year.

No wonder so many car owners eventually give up their car plate number even it have been already retain for a few decades, due to high cost of retaining fee. Esp if the owner is not buying a new car.

hmm true oso!  buy a cheep china car w low road tax oso cheeper than $2040! noted! thanks for the tip!

No wonder so many car owners eventually give up their car plate number even it have been already retain for a few decades, due to high cost of retaining fee. Esp if the owner is not buying a new car.

Actually, I don't see why there should be a charge anymore. Last time all records analogue and need human resources to arrange and keep them in order, that's why car got transfer fee because need someone to process. Now... there is absolutely no cost of retaining the number plate in a virtual registry.

Actually, I don't see why there should be a charge anymore. Last time all records analogue and need human resources to arrange and keep them in order, that's why car got transfer fee because need someone to process. Now... there is absolutely no cost of retaining the number plate in a virtual registry.

Maybe LTA don't want people to waste their car plate number or anyhow transfer/retain number as and when they like?!

hmm.. I interpret differently leh...

To me, it seems to mean that you pay $1,300 for number retain. The extension (and fee) applies ONLY IF you retain the number in LTA records BUT NOT put on vehicle.

Meaning it is like a form of "reserve" the number but not use it.

But once you put to a vehicle, no extension fee payable, thus the $1,300 becomes a one-off payment.

For my 2nd car, I did so & paid $1,300 and have been driving for 3 years... There is no yearly payment or extension process (or fee) to use the same number after paying the $1,300. 

• Praise 1

hmm.. I interpret differently leh...

To me, it seems to mean that you pay $1,300 for number retain. The extension (and fee) applies ONLY IF you retain the number in LTA records BUT NOT put on vehicle.

Meaning it is like a form of "reserve" the number but not use it.

But once you put to a vehicle, no extension fee payable, thus the $1,300 becomes a one-off payment.

For my 2nd car, I did so & paid $1,300 and have been driving for 3 years... There is no yearly payment or extension process (or fee) to use the same number after paying the $1,300.

Yes, I meant extension if the number is not used. That's why you see some cheap cars with expensive number plates, the owner probably put the number there as it's cheaper than retaining it.
  • Praise 1

After thinking abt it, it seems to be cheaper to jus pay for the $2040 extension for another year leh.

If buy cheep china car, smelly oso need 5k dep per yr? exclude running cost, insurance, road tax, etc?

make sense anot har?

Hi there,

I would like to seek help from fellow members with regards to transfer of number plates.

Scenario: Double transfer of ownership and retention of car plate number

Person X - owns a car and wants to sell it to a dealer

Person Y - looking to buy a new car with Person X's car plate number asap

Persons X & Y are siblings

1. X & Y go to LTA first 

2. X transfers ownership of car to Y (cost incurred: $11) 

3. Y retains car plate number and LTA auto assigns new number to the old car (cost incurred: $1300)

4. Y transfers ownership of car back to X (cost incurred: $11)

5. X proceeds to sell car to dealer

6. Y buys new car with the retained number (Refund: $1200)

Total expenditure: $144 excluding installation cost

My questions:

1. Is this the fastest and cheapest way for Y to retain the car plate number and buy the new car? 

2. Is there an alternative to this?

3. Is it possible for the dealer, to whom X is selling the car to, assist in anyway so that Y will eventually get X's car plate number? If yes, what is the estimated cost involved?

Many thanks in advance. Cheers.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1