Australia: Tasmania - Road Trip to Tasmania

Lifemoveon

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if any of you have done a road trip in Tasmania?

Few questions I have so far:

1. When would be the best time to go?

2. If I want to do a canter van trip, would I need additional licence?

3. Any most preferred location that you've been to?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

↡ Advertisement

1. Best time would be Nov, Dec. January is not too bad.

2. No additional license. But I would rather rent a car, then bunk in at those nice motels along the route.

3. Start from Launceston and travel up to Hobart, then to Davenport.

1. Now

2. Caravan. No need.

3. Take two weeks, do the whole island. Hit the waterfall locations, particularly the Russell Falls in Mt Field National Park. But do everything you can, there's too many to list.

Yes, I have the same thought too. Get a big and comfy normal car. Best to bunk in those motels. Unless you are those sociable kind, be prepared to invite for caravan family that park near you and wanting to start a cooking and chit-chat session with you. A friend of mine told me that he kena uninvited guests to his van and disturbed his family.

Regards,

Thanks so much for your comments.

I plan to spend 2 weeks there. Just thought of buying air tickets and go there with absolutely nothing and have fun.

Cheers!

do visit wine glass bay.. very beautiful.. take a nature walk.. the place is 37% national forest.. have a visit at one of the local vineyards..

i'll be flying over to study soon.. leaving feb 13th..

i done a road trip some time back in 2003 or 2004, cant remember everything but let me try to recall the highlights and answer your questions.

1. Best time to go. Not very sure but should be around sept to dec, which should be after the winter season. Always the best time to go for those temperate climate country is after winter which is spring. Anyway i may be wrong. I went around Oct or Nov and although a bit cold, almost all attractions are open.

2. Don think you need additional license. I booked a 2L car from here but when go there, they say none available so gave us 3L car (forgot name) or a camper van to choose, which we chose the 3L. It is a bad choice as the thing is a guzzler and we had to top up the gas quite often and almost busted our expenditures. I think for camper van, there are those special camper parks for overnight parking and you need to pay a fee or something for the electricity or gas. Dont see a lot of camper parks / vans around the island though.

3. Some places which i find good as i like outdoor natural scenery.

Wineglass bay, must go but you need approx 20 min hike up downhill to the beach from the car park. The bay is actually part of some park called freycinet park or something. You can actually hike a whole day in there! I think i hiked for like 4 hours or something and got to see very beautiful beaches.

Port Arthur. Very victorian feeling and they got preserve a lot of old buildings there. There got also a tas devil park if i not wrong.

Cradle Mountain national park. I think this one the biggest. They go routes for hiking for a few days one but i never try as no time. Or you can walk around the lake with the mountain in the background which i think takes about an hour around the lake.

The weekend Salamanca flea market at Hobart. This is like the must see flea market as a lot of people and quite big also.

As i cant recall much of the north coast such as Devonport, i think nothing much there, maybe except for the Spirit of Tasmania ship. i also cant recall the southern part of the island, maybe never go.

I hope you find these useful. sorry if i cant help you much. Memory failing me. old already.

Thanks so much for your sharing. They are indeed insightful.

I thought of doing the camper van thing just for the experience sake. Moreover, driving something big would keep my speed in check.

How much did you guys spend on the trip? I'm budgeting about 8K for 2 person for 2 weeks stay (all expenses including airfare).

Hope that I won't spend more than that so that I can have some cash for my brakes upgrade. Am looking at a 4/2 front back endless for my LGT. I need to change tyres/rims too since stock rims can't clear.

Cheers.

Neutral Newbie

I spend abt 2k+ for 2 wks all expenses. Now maybe u need 3K . 4K is more than enough bro! Try to do more hiking trips and they are ver lovely. I would suggest renting a normal big car will do as caravan need to empty waste and hard to move up slope too.esp against wind , difficult to find place to park awhile for toilet break too [:p] I drove a Ford walcon 4L car I think . Gd boot space for 6 of us !

Go to the places as suggested by skylander its gd ! Drove from Launceston to Hobart in a loop to cover most places in 2wks [sweatdrop]

Have a nice trip !

Edited by Droozy

No problem bro. Glad to be of help. [;)] Just sharing and recalling my thoughts thats all.

I was there about 2.5 weeks and spend close to $2.8k per person (everything in). So i think 8k is a lot of budget.

Oh yes!!! i drove a ford falcon! 6L??!!! no wonder the thing is a guzzler!!!! and only 2 of us.... i knew there was some catch when the fella at the rental car company say give us free upgrades. basket.....

i agree that the camper van thing is good experience. should go try it.

forget to add. suddenly remember something. start at launceston go to east coast round up to north then come back down hobart and the south and then depart at launceston.

Bro Sky,

Thanks so much for your advice. Will take them. Maybe won't do the whole trip on camper van. Maybe for 1 or 2 days, just to get the experience of it. Moreover, I'm already very used to the handling of a sedan, and a little worried about driving a camper van.

Will try to budget myself better for this trip.

Thanks again!

Cheers.

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if any of you have done a road trip in Tasmania?

Yes, I did a trip to Tasmania in June of 2006. Landed in launceston, took delivery of a camper van and off I go..... spent 10 days driving the island in the campervan, and then last 2 days changed to a car and stayed in Launceston.

Few questions I have so far:

1. When would be the best time to go?

Best time to go? It would depend on your own schedule. I guess anytime is best time.... in spring, the flowers are blooming... in summer the weather is warm... in autumn, harvesting is done and you will have fruits etc.... in winter it would be cold in certain parts, but definitely be cold in the mornings, less attractions, but just as fun and romantic too if you are travelling as a couple... one thing is, in winter things are cheaper, accomodation and car rental etc... as it is then low tourist season. Spring and summer are the most expensive period to travel.

Down under, Spring is from Spetember, summur start in about January, autumn is from April... winter is June....

2. If I want to do a canter van trip, would I need additional licence?

NO you don't need. There are a few ways which you can rent a campervan and there are various sizes to it. Get one from melbourne and get across the Bass Straits in a ferry, or fly into Launceston, and get one, the rental companies are all located at the airport, I got one from Hertz, which is a short walk away from the main entrance of the airport. Since u said you are two, I would say u forget about a campervan, but rent a car. However I would say you should stay at campsite, even if u drive a car, bcos campsites have cabins for rental and they are cheap and good, with in built cooking facilities, or you can cook your own meals at the camp good house, make some friends and you can cook and share meals too...

3. Any most preferred location that you've been to?

Go drive all over, its a wonderful experience. Stop at small towns for coffee, pump petrol in remote locations, you will find the local people to be extremely friendly and helpful. I stop at a country side grocery to pick up some bread and vege and had a wonderful conversation with the owner, who is also a farmer....

Afetr collection of the van, I started driving down the east coast, with target to hit Hobart on the saturday, then off to visit Port Arthur, then go towardss the central highlands and then towards burnie, then turn left to the west coast and finally back into launceston. Driving the campervan, which sits 4 is a breeze, and don't worry about not hitting speed and all. Most, if not all drivers are patient and whenever you have chance, you just give way to faster vehicles . No stress driving.....

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Btw, most of your booking can be done before you leave Singapore via the internet. They are safe. Do a google and you will find tons of information you need....

Campervan, minimum 7 days rental.....

some pictures.....

09062006564small.jpg

East coast

DSC01805.jpg

somewhere near Hobart...

DSC01794.jpg

Salamaca market

DSC01814.jpg

Port Arthur?

DSC01831.jpg

Port Arthur

DSC01855.jpg

camper Van I rented

DSC01880.jpg

Tasmanian devils

DSC01934.jpg

A highland cow I saw... was driving when I saw this...so stop the van and got off and took pictures... thats the freedom of campervanning....

DSC01939.jpg

somewhere in the central mountains...

DSC01955.jpg

Posted Image

Posted Image

On the road and no cars in sight... this is central Tassie....

Posted Image

Circular Head, Stanley, western corner of Tassie

Posted Image

Posted Image

with beautiful scenes like these, you want to stay forever.....

Ok, I must admit.... I have live in tassie before and therefore I was actually familiar with the place before I left for the trip with the family.....

• Praise 1

Bro,

Thanks so much! I deeply appreciate it. Will buy you coffee if I get a chance to.

Excellent photos too!

Yeap, I hope to do the trip in March or April. Will budget myself properly to make this trip enjoyable and unforgettable.

Thanks again!

Cheers.

↡ Advertisement