Australia: Tasmania - Road Trip to Tasmania

Lifemoveon

Neutral Newbie

I am glad you enjoyed yourself. I missed the place already, and some of the sights you mentioned really brings back memories. Looks like you've been to a lot of places, some of which i did not have the chance to go. Will try to go again and see the other attractions. Looking forward to your photos, i dont know how to upload them too. Maybe you can ask bro KapitanE?

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

Glad you had a great time in Tasmania and I am sure you enjoyed the fantasticly friendly people there.... I lived in Launceston for a year went to a college there....

To post pictures, you have have to upload your pictures to a external server, would recommend photobucket.com... create an account there and start uploading.

Once you have done uploading, you could click on the command in the grind interface of photobucket, which will be below the photo and copy and paste it in your reply, which the BB Code would look like this,

[ I M G ] Http://www. photobucket.com/username/picturename.jpg [ / i m g ]

The spaces above is delibrately type in, otherwise it would appear as a command....

Hope the above explains..

Edited by KapitanE

2 years later.......from the last posting.

I am planning to go Tassie in early May, it's a change in destination from Hokkaido due to nuclear fallout.

Can anyone tell me is my plan "do-able" for a 9 days trip.

I intend to fly into Hobart, make an anti-clockwise drive North to Freycinet, St Helens, Launceston, Mole Creek, Cradle Mountain, Tamar Valley, Devonport.

Return car in Devonport and take an overnight 10 hours cruise to Melbourne. I will have cabin to sleep.

2 years later.......from the last posting.

I am planning to go Tassie in early May, it's a change in destination from Hokkaido due to nuclear fallout.

Can anyone tell me is my plan "do-able" for a 9 days trip.

I intend to fly into Hobart, make an anti-clockwise drive North to Freycinet, St Helens, Launceston, Mole Creek, Cradle Mountain, Tamar Valley, Devonport.

Return car in Devonport and take an overnight 10 hours cruise to Melbourne. I will have cabin to sleep.

Feasible if you intend to skip west coast and south east Port Arthur. I tried to do all the above mentioned plus west coast and south east in 8 days and ended up having to do most things at a frantic pace..

Tas is as big as Hokkaido(and I have been to Hokkaido), so I don't intend to cover all of Tas in one trip.

I prefer easy driving and stop for coffee, so it shall be only Eastern and Northern Tas for this trip.

My last Hokkaido trip was only in Central Hokkaido and I wanted to cover Eastern this time but cannot make it.

If I include Port Arthur, is it a whole day event from Hobart? If I am not interested in seeing prison, is there other sights that is worth the time to visit Port Arthur?

How many days would it take to do an entire loop of Tasmania and see everything without a rush? Would two weeks be enough?

Also, would it be better to rent a car directly in Tas instead of from Melbourne and then using the ferry to get across?

How many days would it take to do an entire loop of Tasmania and see everything without a rush? Would two weeks be enough?

Also, would it be better to rent a car directly in Tas instead of from Melbourne and then using the ferry to get across?

I am not sure you want cover the whole island, the west coast are mostly the wildlife parks. 4-5 days is good enough to cover the east coast where it is more 'developed'. But to do both should take about 2 weeks.

Just rent a car in Tasmania.

If we were to fold the world map along the equator, Tasmania would almost align with Hokkaido in location and size.

If there is no intention to experience taking a car on an overnight cruise, pickup and return the car in Tasmania. My adivce is fly into Hobart and pick up the car for convenience.

For my style of holiday, 2 weeks will only cover half of Tasmania. Trying to do whole Tasmania will be too rush for me.

I went on a 2 weeks Tasmania in May, perfect time to experience cool weather and snow (only at the mountains).

Flew into Hobart, went easy towards North to Cradle Mountain in the West and finally ended in Tamar Valley (wine region) and Launceston; flew out from there.

Reached Cradle Mountain with green scenery but it started snowing in the evening and throughout the night. The sky dumped 3 inches of snow on the car over the night and it was certainly fun in the warm cottage, watching the falling snow and animals that climbed into the balcony to feed on the apples we left behind.

Regretted not eating more oyster at Barilla Bay oyster farm. Sweetest raw oyster ever tasted, so don't miss it.

Nice to pick strawberry too. Strawberries were planted on hilly slope to pick and eat, with beautiful surrounding rolling hills.

Cascade Brewery serves very nice fish and chips; beautiful flaky white fish.

Thanks for the tips guys.

I've done a round island for South Island and Iceland and I'm looking at Tasmania next.

I guess two weeks plus sounds reasonable for a not too rushed trip, unlike the other two where I had to go fast to make up for time.

Important question: do they have lobster? I don't do oysters but I think my wife will like them.

Also, how rural or quiet is it? I like it Empty.

Will be going Tasmania for the first time in mid Dec, arriving at Hobart and flying off from Launceston. 12 Days road trip, also first time driving in Australia. Appreciate sharing of experience/advice in the following areas:

1. Itinerary planning 

Have not really planned much. Want to have a leisurely tour, enjoy scenery, go for short trekking. Shortlisted a few places.

• Hobart- Arrive on a Fri morning, plan to stay 2 nights to recover from night flight, visit Salamanca Market on Saturday morning, tour neighbouring areas. Consider Tasman Island cruises.
  • Swansea, Bicheno, Coles Bay- Spend 3 days
  • Binalong Bay- 2 days
  • Cradle Mountain- 2 days, considering staying on the mountain itself
  • Launceston- 2 days

Any recommendations/suggestions?

2. Sunset timing

Checked online, sunset in Dec is 8+ almost 9pm. Would it be safe to drive till 7+pm before reaching next stop for accommodation? Or should I aim to reach next accommodation stop by 5/6pm?

3. Accommodation

Dec is peak period, would like to book all the accommodations in advance, though my travelling companion is worried it'll restrict our travelling flexibility in the sense that we must follow our accommodation plan closely. Last thing I want is to end up with no accommodation available.

4. Rental of car and GPS

Saw good reviews of Apex Car Rental, considering to book with them. But open to other suggestions as well. Budget is not a big issue, as long as car is in reasonably good condition and provides good service.

For 2 ladies, should I go for a small size car or a medium size sedan at least?  Also considering a SUV but no experience driving one before.

Thanks in advance for all tips/experience/advice sharing!

[:)]

• Praise 2

I have been using Avis whenever in Aussie or NZ.  Personally I prefer a comfortable SUV for these places (Toyota Highlander or equivalent). I had a Ford Kuga about 2 years back in Tasmania.  Just use your phone's apps, no need to rent GPS.  You can drive till around 8 plus with sufficient daylight.  Overall driving in Tasmania is enjoyable with reasonable speed limits.  Do note even some very winding mountain roads have posted limits of 80 km or more!

Stay at Cradle Mountain Lodge, its worth the little bit extra costs.  No wifi, so you are cut off from the world!  Book early though.

Drive up Mount Wellington too - its a nice drive and spectacular view (and very cold) at the top.

Have fun!

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Praise 2

Tasmania need to spend so many days? last time i was there like 2 nights only [laugh] the unforgettable part is we a group of undergrad stduents drove a mini bus and looking for a place to eat, it was like 7pm+ and we were hungry, but we were in ther middle of nowhere. Then we saw a cottage with light, happen to be a family type of restaurant. we had a luxurious dinner that cost us few days of our food budget [laugh]

we stayed in caravan parks and eat bread or instant noodle.

hi guys,

asking for some tips

1. stay overnight at swansea or wineglass bay area? looking for a lodge/cottage/motel that can possibly stargazing at night.

2. going to port arthur and then next day to hobart. should i stay overnight at port arthur or might as well drive to hobart and check in hotel.

3. bruny island ... can i give it a miss or must go?

Edited by Wt_know

Neutral Newbie

Hi

Anyone can share your experience on rental in Tasmania in June please? Do you have to sign up for the snow package? Noticed that the clause in Avis and europecar mentioned that their rental car not allowed to drive in snow unless sign up their snow package which cost $200-300 more on top of the basic rental.

Question is snow are subject to weather condition, why would one sign up the package that might not be utilising or may be just for a day out of the 10days rental.

↡ Advertisement