Australia: Tasmania - Road Trip to Tasmania

Lifemoveon

Hi

Anyone can share your experience on rental in Tasmania in June please? Do you have to sign up for the snow package? Noticed that the clause in Avis and europecar mentioned that their rental car not allowed to drive in snow unless sign up their snow package which cost $200-300 more on top of the basic rental.

Question is snow are subject to weather condition, why would one sign up the package that might not be utilising or may be just for a day out of the 10days rental.

I thought you can always rent their car under normal conditions first? When you reach there and if it snows, you can then add-on the snow package which they will chain the wheels? Don't think you need to pre-book the snow package.

Neutral Newbie

Won't they ask you to sign up when at the counter collecting key? Asking whether if will drive on snowy roads. But who will know the snow condition?

Supersonic
(edited)

it's a precaution for insurance claim

if you don't sign up ... you drive and the road is slippery or snowy

if kena accident insurance wont cover ...

Won't they ask you to sign up when at the counter collecting key? Asking whether if will drive on snowy roads. But who will know the snow condition?

Edited by Wt_know

Neutral Newbie

Anyone rented an Nissan X-trail vs Toyota Rav4 for your road trip? Can share your review please?

Thanks

You can consider go one size bigger with V6 - Highlander/Kluger equivalent.  Probably just a little more expensive if renting 1 week or more.

I am heading Australia soon, and am renting a 6.2 V8 just for the heck of it! [laugh]

• Praise 1

Supersonic
(edited)

You can consider go one size bigger with V6 - Highlander/Kluger equivalent. Probably just a little more expensive if renting 1 week or more.

I am heading Australia soon, and am renting a 6.2 V8 just for the heck of it! [laugh]

renting a bigger cc or one class higher car, the incremental cost is palatable.

but the insurance is fcking expensive especially the $0 excess that is offered on the counter by the rental company.

if you buy normal CDW insurance, it comes with $2000 or even $5000 excess ... [sweatdrop]

i usually take the $0 excess, i know it's more expensive

each time when i return car, the process is 5mins chop chop because they dont even need to check the car since it's $0 excess ... lol

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 1

Hypersonic

but the insurance is fcking expensive especially the $0 excess that is offered on the counter by the rental company.

if you buy normal CDW insurance, it comes with $2000 or even $5000 excess ... [sweatdrop]

each time when i return car, the process is 5mins chop chop because they dont even need to check the car since it's $0 excess ... lol

when i returned to perth airport. I just dropped off my keys. No one bothered to check.

I didn't get any insurance.

As a precaution, i just took photos of the car all around 1 time.

Supersonic
(edited)

when i returned to perth airport. I just dropped off my keys. No one bothered to check.

I didn't get any insurance.

As a precaution, i just took photos of the car all around 1 time.

it does not matter whether you take photo or not

the T&C and fine prints protect the company to fullest that you are liable for any damages

including parking and speding tickets that come later ... [laugh]

Edited by Wt_know

Supersonic
(edited)

You can consider go one size bigger with V6 - Highlander/Kluger equivalent. Probably just a little more expensive if renting 1 week or more.

I drove 1000cc around Tassie for years. No place i cant go or reach. Just one advise..Get a manual. Safest and you will need the power to push up those winding mountain road.

However if you on powerful vehicle do be gental with the pedal on the highway and mountain roads so as to give you time to react. Highway especially night driving. you will encounter animals running across. If too foggy..don't drive..Park and rest. Visibility will be down to 2/3 meter. Winter very dangerous if you not familiar with the road. Be safe and don't let your mishap..Splash over Singapore news..Another Singapore family...On Aust road.

Edited by Kopites
  • Praise 2

Hypersonic

the T&C and fine prints protect the company to fullest that you are liable for any damages

Lol. Risk taker  [:p]

tasmania looks lovely from my friend's photos. Will go there when my kids are older and can walk more.

insurance got cover parking and speeding fine?

They are not that particular in dings and dents, paint chipping etc unlike in SG.

I accidentally reversed into something when driving out of the hotel (OZ cars don't come with reverse sensors as standard). Dent the bumper abit with a paint chip and wasn't asked anything. It was a 2 month old i40. Quite a good drive.

insurance got cover parking and speeding fine?

Fines and tolls will be charged to your CC. Normally 1 to 2 months later. For parking, I  find free ones, which there are a lot of in Taz.

• Praise 1

I drove 1000cc around Tassie for years. No place i cant go or reach. Just one advise..Get a manual. Safest and you will need the power to push up those winding mountain road.

However if you on powerful vehicle do be gental with the pedal on the highway and mountain roads so as to give you time to react. Highway especially night driving. you will encounter animals running across. If too foggy..don't drive..Park and rest. Visibility will be down to 2/3 meter. Winter very dangerous if you not familiar with the road. Be safe and don't let your mishap..Splash over Singapore news..Another Singapore family...On Aust road.

I have no problem driving 2.5L AT Lancer through winding road.

Only get MT if 1L car.

Supersonic

what car to rent?

going to cheong london > wales > scotland in sep.

current target is GLA for its small size and hoepfully fun driving

what car to rent?

GLC better lah.  GLA is like A class on stilt

Hypersonic

what car to rent?

most of their premium cars are mostly merc ... i noticed. I was trying to look for a Beemer to drive, but it seems to be not common among car rental companies.

Went on road trip to Tasmania last Dec, just to share some experience.

I only had driving experience in SG and W Msia before that, was a bit worried if I can handle driving there but turned out driving around Tasmania was relaxing as the roads were not complicated and not congested. Quite easy to find my way around with GPS. Most drivers were gracious and kept to the speed limits. Only once encountered a tailgater while on my way to the town famous for wall murals, I was driving at max speed limit, he came to tailgate me, I slowed down to allow him to overtake, which he did. Further ahead I overtook that car as the Asian couple stopped by the roadside to take pictures. When approaching the town, that car caught up with me again and as I reduced speed according to the regulations and speed limit signs, that car overtook me and sped into the town. Saw that car stopped at the roadside with police car behind it after 2 junctions. 

Rented a Cerato from Apex Car Rental, selected the zero excess package for hassle-free convenience. Car was quite new, just 2-3 months old I think. Easy to drive, fuel economic too. 

I followed the speed limit according to the signs, but the GPS that came with the car will prompt me to reduce speed by up to 20km/hr at certain points near the city area at times, especially near bridges. It was a bit confusing because I could see the other cars maintaining the original speed (stipulated by the signs), when I try to follow the GPS speed limit, it seem as if I was roadhogging. However I heard from my colleague that it is better to follow the GPS's speed limit, as she was told by car rental company that some speed limit signs are not updated.

As the sky only darkens after 8pm every day, there was lots of time for activities and travelling on the road.

I flew in via Hobart, spent a few days there, drove north towards Bay of Fire, stopped by Bicheno, Swansea, then went to the West North Stanley, proceed to Cradle Mountains,  and finally spent a few days at Launceston before returning to SG. There was so much to explore and scenary was simply breathtaking.

A few places to highlight:

1. Bicheno is famous for penguin watching. Instead of joining a organized tour, if one knows where to wait, there is high chance of seeing penguins emerging from the water and going back to their nests anywhere by the coast.

2. Bruny island day tour at Hobart. If you like natural landscape and ocean animals, it is worth going. But it was freezing cold out at sea even though it was summer. Bonus for me was seeing lots of dolphins, and 2 humpback whales even though it was not the season for whale watching.

3. Bay of Fire. Don't miss it.

4. Cradle Mountains. Great for trekking. The day I reached it was still warm (around 18 degrees), however the next day it snowed. Had to cancel some trekking plans but it was still an experience, sitting in my cabin at Cradle Lodge watching the snowfall and enjoying the winter feel. I only managed to complete trekking the dove lake circuit in heavy rain (before it started snowing). Original plan was to park my car at the tourist information centre and take the shuttle bus into the mountain area as some stretches of the road inside were not wide. In the end decided to drive into the mountain area instead because taking the shuttle bus will mean having to wait for the bus in the cold (shelter at the stops were quite small). It proved to be the right decision, because the temperature had dropped to about 5 degrees by the time I completed the dove lake circuit and it was a blessing to be able to seek refuge in the car. However there is a limit to the number of cars allowed to enter the mountain area, so it is advisable to go in earlier.

Hope this sharing will be helpful to whoever planning a trip there.  ^_^

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 8