Australia: Tasmania - Road Trip to Tasmania

Lifemoveon

Neutral Newbie

Hi Mazda2gal

Thank you for your sharing, it certainly helpful. Surprising it still snow in Cradle Mountain during Dec. Did you have to sign up any snow package from the car rental when collecting the car? Also, did you have to purchase the national park pass for all the drive?

Thanks

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

it's a precaution for insurance claim

if you don't sign up ... you drive and the road is slippery or snowy

if kena accident insurance wont cover ...

coming back to this. Question is they will make you sign up for the snow package to cover the whole rental of eg. a week even though you may only drive up to the snow area for a day. They are not flexible to cover for just a day.

Anyone experience such, are you able to negotiate for coverage of one/two day snow rental? And do the car rental provide snow tires or snow chain?

Thanks

Went on road trip to Tasmania last Dec, just to share some experience.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hope this sharing will be helpful to whoever planning a trip there.  ^_^

Thanks for sharing. Taking my family with parents-in-laws to Tasmania from late Nov to early Dec this year. Your information is definitely useful. :a-good: 

May I know if you visited any fruit farms and vineyards during the trip? Surprise to hear that Cradle Mountain snowed in December as summer already. Did you visit in early December.

Actually visited Tasmania about 13 years ago. Really looking forward to this trip haha.

Hi Mazda2gal

Thank you for your sharing, it certainly helpful. Surprising it still snow in Cradle Mountain during Dec. Did you have to sign up any snow package from the car rental when collecting the car? Also, did you have to purchase the national park pass for all the drive?

Thanks

Nope, I didn't sign up any snow package because it wasn't offered at all and I didn't expect to drive in the snow too. I did purchase a national park pass at wineglass bay, it was valid for a period of time (think abt 3 months) for all the national Parks, it was tied to the car plate number.

Thanks for sharing. Taking my family with parents-in-laws to Tasmania from late Nov to early Dec this year. Your information is definitely useful. :a-good:

May I know if you visited any fruit farms and vineyards during the trip? Surprise to hear that Cradle Mountain snowed in December as summer already. Did you visit in early December.

Actually visited Tasmania about 13 years ago. Really looking forward to this trip haha.

I visited a fruit farm, picked strawberries which were gigantic and really sweet.

Neutral Newbie

Noticed that prices varies quite abit when we choose the country of residence Singapore vs Australia for Tasmania Avis but never had such price diff in Queensland and Western Australia. Anyone share the same experience?

Looking at this thread as I am doing a research for the Dec holidays.

To save on cost, which flight to take to Tasmania, jetstar direct to hobart?

Want to use the caravan as it's a 2 in 1. Save cost on lodging and car rental. Most important is an experience I would want to try.

Hypersonic

Want to use the caravan as it's a 2 in 1. Save cost on lodging and car rental. Most important is an experience I would want to try.

Never try caravan before, but I understand caravan have limited or no parking place if too close to city center.

Does camping site need to be book?

Never try caravan before, but I understand caravan have limited or no parking place if too close to city center.

Does camping site need to be book?

I have no idea at all. Hoping someone can help enlighten or maybe call up Australia tourism board.

I have no idea at all. Hoping someone can help enlighten or maybe call up Australia tourism board.

Google caravan Park in tasmania, there are designated parks for caravan where you can connect to electricity, I guess with a fee.

alternatively you can still rent a normal vehicle and experience caravan living by renting an on-site caravan. December is summer still OK, winter is too cold to stay in caravan [sweatdrop]

• Praise 2

I have thought about caravaning before... But a friend warned me every time at camp site, someone has to empty the sewer waste.... And that would be me!

I have shelved the idea till today. Maybe someone else has a better experience.

• Praise 1

Google caravan Park in tasmania, there are designated parks for caravan where you can connect to electricity, I guess with a fee.

alternatively you can still rent a normal vehicle and experience caravan living by renting an on-site caravan. December is summer still OK, winter is too cold to stay in caravan [sweatdrop]

Now that you mentioned it, if too hot I won't be able to sleep.

I need air con!!!!!

I have thought about caravaning before... But a friend warned me every time at camp site, someone has to empty the sewer waste.... And that would be me!

I have shelved the idea till today. Maybe someone else has a better experience.

Now you are really making me doubt about this caravan thingy.

Now that you mentioned it, if too hot I won't be able to sleep.

I need air con!!!!!

Now you are really making me doubt about this caravan thingy.

I used to stay in caravan Park in gold coast and tasmania, just drive there and rent for a night stay, can stay up to 6 for a big van. hot water, aircon and cooking stove all in.

once we stay in those without bathroom to save cost during winter, freaking cold to walk to the shared bathroom and walk back to the van, can die one [laugh]

I used to stay in caravan Park in gold coast and tasmania, just drive there and rent for a night stay, can stay up to 6 for a big van. hot water, aircon and cooking stove all in.

once we stay in those without bathroom to save cost during winter, freaking cold to walk to the shared bathroom and walk back to the van, can die one [laugh]

Is those rented caravan different from the one we drive around. At least don't have to clear shit.....argh.

Btw, how much for a stay in those rented caravan. Scaly almost like motel price...hahahaha

If its only you and your mrs (xiao san or not) then no harm trying.. its quite an adventure and you will get to know how helpful and warm other caravan pple are. The sai kang is a turn off but thats only 1 part of the entire experience.. dont let that deter you.. but if you are going with a family with kids, i would recommend u think again.. not so convenient with kids.

Please try and share experience here.

Wanted to do it but heard about the sai kang and figured it might not be as comfortable as a hotel with hot water for shower, comfortable beds, air-conditioned room, room service, etc. Worst is having to drive a lorry for at least a week. Lol

To rough it out, I prefer hiking in the mountains. No substitute. Lol....

• Praise 1

Please try and share experience here.

Wanted to do it but heard about the sai kang and figured it might not be as comfortable as a hotel with hot water for shower, comfortable beds, air-conditioned room, room service, etc. Worst is having to drive a lorry for at least a week. Lol

To rough it out, I prefer hiking in the mountains. No substitute. Lol....

Bro, caravan considered ok liao lo.. I took a campervan.. lagi small.. but still survived la.. if one is a speed demon then this idea must be scrapped. Cos every other cars will be overtaking you.. will feel buay song 1.
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2