Advice on cleaning rims

Typoerror

just bought a car with brembo brakes and racing pads. brake dust super thick after just 8 days of driving. cloth and hand all black like charcoal after washing the rims (using just water). cloth gotta throw away after the wash.

any advice cleaning the rims with ease and without wasting cloth? thanks in advance.

Edited by Typoerror
↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

You can try mama lemon for real tough stains, or get wheel cleaner from car care shops.

If there are still stains, you can even claybar your rims. [nod]

I agree with Bro Haurus

Mama lemon works well for me!

I wash the cars' rims once every 4 days, due to the fact that, i want to maintain the new look on the rims, so i don't give the brake dust a chance to BURN ONto the rims..

Thus, mama lemon and water, once every 4 days, works for me...

I clean my rims every day when I got time or max once every 3 days.

for grit which are stuck, u may need claybar to remove. Usually. if u wash every 2 days or so, it should not be problem with rim cleaners, or any soapy stuff.

Over time though, just like coffe cup there will be stains so I use SONAX every now n then.

For me, I am only using water and I am on aftermarket BBK as well. Wash the rims once a week during car wash. Instead of using cloth, I am using 3M sponge that you use to wash plates. Just make sure that you are using the sponge portion and not the green abrasive portion.

Works well for me. As for cleaners, a good rim cleaner is going to help, but they are costly. I would recommend you to start on the mama lemon route with sponge first.

Neutral Newbie
Just make sure that you are using the sponge portion and not the green abrasive portion.

Why is that so? Don't think swirl marks or fine scratched are noticeable on rims.

For me, I would not want to risk scratching the rim or maybe damaging it with the abrasive portion. However, if you do not mind, go ahead as that should have better cleaning power to clean the stubborn stains like tar off the rims.

I clean my rims every day when I got time or max once every 3 days.

for grit which are stuck, u may need claybar to remove. Usually. if u wash every 2 days or so, it should not be problem with rim cleaners, or any soapy stuff.

Over time though, just like coffe cup there will be stains so I use SONAX every now n then.

wah, ur rims are white? clean everyday very siong...

Mama Lemon is pretty safe lah. Its bad for waxes as waxes essentially are oils. Therefore mama lemon remove oil. You are not waxing your rim right?

To me, a diluted mama lemon will be a cheap and good way to clean. Alternatively, car shampoo is another cleaner you can use which is not that costly. If money is not an issue, then buy good wheel cleaners from Sonax, Meguiar, etc.

↡ Advertisement