Procedure for creation of business webpage

Albeniz

Turbocharged

Dear MCFers, got a question and hope you could help.

My sis recently registered a business with ACRA.

Let's say the name of her business is "myshop".

She was given a priority to use this name "www.myshop.com" in internet.

Assuming she has created a simple homepage using html and wishes to load this into internet, can someone please advise on the procedure. How much does she have to pay to host this page? Many thanks.

↡ Advertisement

She just basically have to look for a web hosting provider. Different companies have different packages. But cheap doesn't always mean good.

For a start, you can ask your sis to go to www.ipmirror.com to look at their packages. Furthermore, they are based in SG and is an accredited registrar. I've been using them for yrs and quite satisfied. [thumbsup]

After taking up the package, there will be instructions sent to her on how to upload her webpage to their servers. Give abit of time to syn and her website will be viewable globally.

Btw, have to get her to register a domain name first hor.... else can do so at IPmirror too

Edited by Wanderer

Turbocharged

The prices stated in the website can be quite confusing.

If she intends to create the most simple one with minimum subscription, how much does she have to pay (inclusive of all admin/registration fee)?

Many thanks again.

This is what I always advise people....

First thing she need to do:

Go and register the domain HERSELF directly without going through a middleman.

Don't register the domain through a middleman (eg. hosting companies, web design companies), as it will get very troublesome should she decide to change hosting companies in future. Be careful of companies who looks like a domain registrar but is a actually a reseller. Make sure she own the domain and has FULL CONTROL over the domain.

If she's registering for a .com can go take a look at directnic.com, namecheap.com, godaddy.com these have been around for quite a long time and are direct registrars.

If she's registering for a .com.sg can go take a look at sgnic (www.nic.net.sg).

Once the domain name is secured, then can go and consider web design and hosting options.

For web design, if it's just simple static html pages, can go look for students to do it for very cheap rates.

For hosting, if reliability is not a major concern, go look for US / UK hosting companies. They are usually much cheaper.

There are a wide ranges of prices for web design and hosting. Which to choose really depends on her needs and requirements.

Edited by Spherex

The usual costing break down & payment are as follows :-

1. Domain name ( annual )

2. Web Hosting - Setup ( usually free )

3. Web Hosting - Space ( monthly, quarterly, bi-annual or annual. Heavily discounted if payment is per year )

Web hosting company can offer 1, 2 and 3 in various combinations. E.g.

a. Free domain name, free setup, annual web hosting payment

b. Paid domain name, free setup, annual web hosting payment

Free setup is the norm, other freebies, proceed with caution and take note of the terms and conditions.

Important is to do it right the first time which will reduce the hassle later on. Local or overseas web hosting, depends on the nature of business i.e. mainly local business - locally & mainly overseas business - host overseas.

If no experience in this area, pay someone to do it.

P.S. Do seriously consider a paid email account for registering the domain name.

Turbocharged

Hers is just a small florist shop.

She just need a cheap domain to create awareness about the existence of her shop.

Ideally, her web address should be easy to remember like: "wwww.her_shop_name.com".

No sophisticated features required on her website, no large storage space needed also.

No need for a paid Email as the usual "[email protected]" would be sufficient.

What is the cheapest way available?

PS: Years back, I have hosted a webpage on bravenet for free. But I can't ask for a specific , meaningful web address. There were also advertisements on my webpage. Maybe that's why they gave me free hosting.

I tot she has the website already rite??? Now it's just looking for a place to host rite?

Has she registered the domain name already?

Turbocharged

Just keyed in this address "www.her_shop_name.com" and tried. Nothing loaded.

Nobody has used this name yet.

Going to register the domain name.

i beg to differ, godaddy is one of those web hostings that does not give you total control of your domain name. in fact, quite a number of subscribers have problems trying to change domain hostings after that.

one of my clients is facing this problem, so I know what I'm talking about.

Infact, majority of the local SG hostings are sh1t. One of the car club forum I helped out used to had their hosing (web and domain) played around... Serious ethics issues.

Edited by Slowmo

How much does she have to pay to host this page? Many thanks.

Hosting is very cheap, just SGD8 to 15 per month depending on features.

I have set up websites for companies before, feel free to contact me.

Hers is just a small florist shop.

She just need a cheap domain to create awareness about the existence of her shop.

Ideally, her web address should be easy to remember like: "wwww.her_shop_name.com".

No sophisticated features required on her website, no large storage space needed also.

No need for a paid Email as the usual "[email protected]" would be sufficient.

What is the cheapest way available?

PS: Years back, I have hosted a webpage on bravenet for free. But I can't ask for a specific , meaningful web address. There were also advertisements on my webpage. Maybe that's why they gave me free hosting.

If you or your sister has SingNet broadband account, you can use their free homepage

but link format is http://web.singnet.com.sg/~userid/

U dun search for a domain name in this way. Cos it could be that the domain name is reserved, but the webby thingy is not activated for use yet.

Can actually use the "search" function instead.

Wah.............. looks like u got a number of experts to help u here [sunny]

Neutral Newbie

Dear MCFers, n sorry to Dr Albeniz for hi-jacking his thread..bo-pian clocked [rifle]

I was like [jawdrop] for half a day [bigcry] my biz idea n name zapped...can any bro/sis out here in this car ocean help me find a way out to tackle all these copymeows? Maybe got law(serious one)/raw(street-wise one) ppl... here to console me i will appreciate much too.

I was thinking reporting to the ahwhoo guys, but does it help?

10q n 10q! -Cleanliver-

Just keyed in this address "www.her_shop_name.com" and tried. Nothing loaded.

Nobody has used this name yet.

Going to register the domain name.

you can register a domain at godaddy.com - very cheap. [thumbsup]

Neutral Newbie

www.namecheap.com is really good. Works for my few domains.

↡ Advertisement