Yet Another Car Catches Fire...

Typhoonz

Twincharged

The fuse was supposed to blow first, before the wire gets overheated.

In some cases, the (slow-blow) fuse may refuse to blow,  by just "hanging on the thread" and the wire gets overheated.

Unfortunately, it appears to be too common.

Don't they break the glass first ?

I assumed in emergency, the first thing is to break the glass, then pry open the door.

That one I don't know. Never asked. Only thing he commented was that the doors are alot harder to pry open. I guess even if they break the glass, most of the time they will have to pry open the doors before they can rescue the person. Don't think it is easy to drag an injured person out of a broken window.

↡ Advertisement

That one I don't know. Never asked. Only thing he commented was that the doors are alot harder to pry open. I guess even if they break the glass, most of the time they will have to pry open the doors before they can rescue the person. Don't think it is easy to drag an injured person out of a broken window.

Please take a [:/]  look in how difficult to get out from :o  a accident wrecked burning car   :wacko:     :blink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX91LSpR0MA

From the documentaries I gather that magnesium is dangerous to handle when molten, once cooled in blocks its quite safe. Then again no one can really tell if its exposed to fire over a long period what will the reaction be vs say a normal aluminium block car. I tried finding some data but nothing really conclusive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLt0cToM_vw

Likely accurate that conti doors are harder to pry open, the added safety/toughness becomes a double edge sword under wrong circumstances.

I see.  Last time also read about performance bike parts using magnesium alloy....its quite an unsettling thought. 

coincidentally, some weeks back, 91.3 was reporting that for the civil defence guys, its a lot more difficult to extradite an occupant in a door locked/jammed conti car Vs a Jap car. 

Lambo's must be the worse car to get stuck in during an accident, I recall one photo where a Murcielago overturned and the person was burned alive while trying to squeeze out of the window. (half body was out), vvery gruesome. Can't find the picture on the net but for the better.

Please take a [:/]  look in how difficult to get out from :o  a accident wrecked burning car   :wacko:     :blink:

Twincharged

From the documentaries I gather that magnesium is dangerous to handle when molten, once cooled in blocks its quite safe. Then again no one can really tell if its exposed to fire over a long period what will the reaction be vs say a normal aluminium block car. I tried finding some data but nothing really conclusive.

Magnesium definitely burns really easily and fast when exposed to high heat. I think this experiment was done in secondary school. I remember my chemistry teacher showing us how hot magnesium burns. I rmb that most fire extinguishers also do not help with burning magnesium. Can't rmb which type can already. But I think it is the carbon dioxide extinguishers since carbon dioxide and magnesium reacts to form magnesium oxide and carbon. Returned most of my knowledge to the teacher already. Lol. 

Edited by Nzy
  • Praise 1

Usually the fire starts once the engine or parts supplying fuel is ruptured. (Fuel vapor + Oxygen + spark), if the car wrap around the tree (side impact) and didn't rupture fuel lines etc then likely no fire. But oddly enough the merc front bumper looks undamaged, the driver was really xuay this happen. RIP to him man :( 

Yes, but can you explain how the car caught fire? It does not look like it impacted the tree hard, if at all. You all have seen how cars look like after they had wrapped a tree......

Looks like mercs are not safe, in the other mandai accident, the mercs driver still fighting for his life... ...

Please do not say like that. My friend is recovering and he would have died if not for Merc. Imagine a lorry from opposite that rammed 3 trees down before smashing into your car. U will not survived if your car is "soft" skin.

not sure about the R class.. i have had alerts of blown bulbs on my C (front poles and rear cluster) till i got sick of it and got an electrician check. some of the wires were found to be melted. 

it was all stock. 

Made in South Africa right???

Lambo's must be the worse car to get stuck in during an accident, I recall one photo where a Murcielago overturned and the person was burned alive while trying to squeeze out of the window. (half body was out), vvery gruesome. Can't find the picture on the net but for the better.

About 4 months ago (21 July 2015), a sg.reg. Porche crashed at Nusajaya HW, the front female passenger been thrown out of the car and the driver was already dead with his half body hang out of the window, very gruesome indeed.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/sporean-killed-in-porsche-crash-was-in-legal-tussle

Edited by 2BDriver

Twincharged

But why are cars made of magnesium? I thought that it is a highly reactive metal. 

Edited by Nzy

Turbocharged

Made in South Africa right???

Germany.. Prefacelift model.. He showed me the melted sleeve.. No wonder the bulbs kept blowing after few months.

Apparently in the merc forum a few also had this issue.. And happened only after warranty expired..

Magnesium definitely burns really easily and fast when exposed to high heat. I think this experiment was done in secondary school. I remember my chemistry teacher showing us how hot magnesium burns. I rmb that most fire extinguishers also do not help with burning magnesium. Can't rmb which type can already. But I think it is the carbon dioxide extinguishers since carbon dioxide and magnesium reacts to form magnesium oxide and carbon. Returned most of my knowledge to the teacher already. Lol.

Think need co2 extinguishet. Magnesium flame burns at a few thousand degr n very hard to put out. Not even when submerge in water. Hence commercial diver use magnesium torch to do underwater welding.
  • Praise 2

Quite common electrical issues with a lot of contis, not only Merc.

It has to do with the rubber/plastics used.

The Japanese seems to be the best when comes to rubber and plastics. My JP engine oil filter cover O ring seal can use many times without replacement (when it's recommended to change at every oil change). I used it for 10 years without issue, then replaced it with a "new" one which I had kept as spare for almost 10 years. The "new" oil seal never degrade at all after almost 10 years in hibernation.  [thumbsup]

Nest time buy CD, buy Okamoto. :D

Germany.. Prefacelift model.. He showed me the melted sleeve.. No wonder the bulbs kept blowing after few months.
Apparently in the merc forum a few also had this issue.. And happened only after warranty expired..

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 5

Quite common electrical issues with a lot of contis, not only Merc.

It has to do with the rubber/plastics used.

The Japanese seems to be the best when comes to rubber and plastics. My JP engine oil filter cover O ring seal can use many times without replacement (when it's recommended to change at every oil change). I used it for 10 years without issue, then replaced it with a "new" one which I had kept as spare for almost 10 years. The "new" oil seal never degrade at all after almost 10 years. [thumbsup]

They got vast exp with Tamiya cars. Lol

• Praise 1

Every death is gruesome though this one makes it sound almost like they weren't wearing any seat belts?

About 4 months ago (21 July 2015), a sg.reg. Porche crashed at Nusajaya HW, the front female passenger been thrown out of the car and the driver was already dead with his half body hang out of the window, very gruesome indeed.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/sporean-killed-in-porsche-crash-was-in-legal-tussle

The burnt R-class is not 1668. According to xin min, the deceased is a 43 year old male who owns a boutique at Raffles Place for 15 years. His body was burnt beyond recognition, his identity has to be verified through DNA testing

Only in powdered / thin form, and its the engine casing component. I believe manufacturers would have accounted for such incidences though be good to know how much risk exist if a car was on fire compared to a normal car.

Flammability

Magnesium is a highly flammable metal, especially when powdered or shaved into thin strips; (it is, however, difficult to ignite in mass or bulk). Flame temperatures of magnesium and magnesium alloys can reach 3,100 °C (3,370 K; 5,610 °F),[10] although flame height above the burning metal is usually less than 300 mm (12 in).[11]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnesium

Someone's done some research it seems focused mainly on aircraft magnesium components but they also covered some engine specifics.

http://www.fire.tc.faa.gov/pdf/ads-14.pdf

But why are cars made of magnesium? I thought that it is a highly reactive metal. 

• Praise 2