Do you prefer a job with higher salary with many OTs or lower pay with no OT?

Ed2win2

Do you prefer a job with higher salary with many OTs or lower pay with no OT?  

57 members have voted

1. 1.

• Higher salary but have frequent OT
    • Lower salary, go home on the dot

There are 2 jobs to choose:

1. Higher monthly salary, need to frequently work OT (without additional OT pay), sometimes till very late at night.

2. Lower monthly salary, rarely OT

If choose 1, usually go home very late. Higher salary

If choose 2, go home on the dot. Lower salary but if you divide your monthly pay over the hours work, it will be higher than choice 1.

Given that other conditions are the same, which would you choose?

If option 2 can earn sufficient to allow some saving monthly after deducting the expenses, I would go for it. flowerface.gif

↡ Advertisement

Other factors will be the job prospects & if you have any family commitments (especially kids)... Can choose choice (1) but dun think u'll last long. Unless u r thinking of using it as a 'stepping stone', tahan a few yrs then move on. But of course that doesn't mean u can't find the same deal in choice (2).

I was in the same situation some 30 years ago and I chose option 1. I did not watch my sons grew up as I travelled often and at times only be a

Jobs?..who says you need a 'job' to have a 'high salary'? [laugh]

OT?..what's that? [sly][laugh]...if you have to slog for the job just to have the pay and/or have to do OT to have more $$$...then both choices are NO choices at all! [sly][laugh]

(edited)

IMHO: If the difference less than 15% higher...then i think forget it - choose option 2.

BTW, my views are based on the fact that I'm 26, single and no family commitment.

Edited by Rickster

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

yes, I am feeling a bit late, one son an architect is PR in OZ, only see me once or twice a year, while the other in Singapore is busy with his research project.

Edited by Tasman

Bottom line is, there is nothing more miserable than a low but adequate pay.

Why don't we remain as a fishing village, by 3 pm, we would be lying in our hammock, playing guitar until night fall. That's because we all have our dreams, and goals we want to achieve. We also have responsibilities and obligations. And very few of us really live for ourself only.

Wow..potentiol hunk here [sly] ...got gf already or not? [laugh]

If not, you put your resume this into any dating site...a lot of Chio BUs [gorgeous] will start to e-mail and queue for you! [sly][laugh]

Who knows, some lurking [gorgeous] in MCF could PM you now! [laugh][laugh]

don worry boss! my dad also don realli spend much time with me when i was a kid [sweatdrop]

but i don blame him [:)][;)] now that i have 2 sons, he comes over during weekend to see grandsons [thumbsup]

you can do it too when your sons have children [thumbsup]

Neutral Newbie

So far a close match between the 2 choices.

Personally, I fall into the 2nd choice. Compare to my friends, they are drawing about 20%+ higher pay, but with lots of OT, sometimes can work until past 11pm & work on saturdays.

Though a lower salary, I rarely have OT, and if there is, got OT pay. Also no need to work on saturdays. If I was divide my pay by hours work, I am still slightly better off.

Probably, when we get our 1st job, choice 1 would be better to start off. Eventually, when we settle down, our goals may have change.

[reply]

Errr.... what if its option#2 but lots of OT but cannot claim ? rolleyes.gifsweatdrop.gif

What you saying?confused.gif I thought option#2 means can go home after working hours, so where got OT? dizzy.gif

trust me tats not too bad if u get ur jus rewards during year end bonus...

wats worst is, they ask u to clock OT, then u clock....n they give a fug face to see..or sudden change their stand n ask u claim time off instead....cause the $$$$ is like very HUGE........ or worst... they are doubtful u require that much OT to finish off the work n start saying u are inefficient (indirectly).....

and then sometime u dun clock, they say u never clock OT, how management will know they are lacking manpower to finish off those workload....

AB-man.... u say A, they want B.... then u do B, they ask why never do A.... wat the fug...

(edited)

So far.... rewards quite ok for the workload lah....

In the executive positions, nobody will ask that you clock extra hours (you just have to get the job done)..... if you don't do it, the job will be unfinished and nobody's gonna clean it up..... so in the end, you'd still have to get it done by yourself. Then if your team cannot cope, you have to hands on and DIY. [:|]

Then if never meet datelines, kena escalated to directors/VP, then lagi chia-lat.... kena from customers, kena internally too. [sweatdrop]

This is OT on own accord. [rolleyes] For your gyus, you can let them take off days.... but for yourself, nobody's gonna give any off for the nights & weekends burnt. [:(]

Edited by Dwoon
↡ Advertisement