Plastic bag

Poortraveller

if you google vacuum waste system, it is not a new technology and i believe they are working on it for future developments. 

I had some doubts over whether it is feasible to retrofit or not but this article implies it is feasible.

http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/automated-system-makes-garbage-disposal-cleaner

But that brings about a new question for me. Why did they implement this test as a retrofit instead of just doing it from the ground-up when building a BTO? Won't it be cheaper?

↡ Advertisement

They'll ask you to buy this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garbage_disposal_unit

The sewerage treatment capacity is barely enough to handle literally the shit we produce every day, especially with an increasing population.  To add kitchen waste to it probably mean doubling the sewerage pipes, treatment plants etc which will need billions of dollars.  It is not so simple to flush the additional kitchen waste down the drain...

• Praise 2

1. I always reuse my grocery plastic bags for refuse disposal

2. I always keep those small plastic bags from food takeaways for disposal of waste in my car, unless the plastic bag is already soiled by the food.

If they start charging for plastic bags, then those who refuse to buy their own trash bags will start throwing raw waste into the refuse chute.

By then, GG.

• Praise 2

In Beijing, plastic bag needs to pay money.

In apartment i stayed, there is 2 bin.  1 is for food (including whatever u need to pour in sewage) and 1 for others.

In other major cities, gabbage is supposed to be sorted out into difference bins.  Most of us are not there yet.

• Praise 2

If supermarkets make me pay for their bags, I don't think it's correct for them to make me pay for a bag with their logo and shop name on it. In a certain way, I'm advertising for them. I should get a plain, plastic bag instead.

With money saved by the supermarkets by not supplying plastic bags, it just increases their profit margin.

This policy is not well thought out.

• Praise 2

Does plastic bag cost supermart a lot of money ?

Instead of thinking about charging, why not they give a discount to those who bring their own bags ?

5c, 10c, if they think those plastic bags are worth to them.

But of cuz not, that's not the way to do business.

It's all about money.

Environment is always an excuse.

• Praise 7

i hope the 4 supermarkets declare the number of plastic bags they gave out each month. 

Once that is done and we find them excessive, we will now ask them to donate the moneybsaved monthly from buying plastic bags to charity organizations. dont just pocket the saving plus the new charges and make this another business model. no wonder they are so champion on environment suddenly. 

• Praise 3

read in an article as follows;- (dont know if its really true about Malaysia as I remember they still give plastic bags in supermarkets  without any hesitation)....  I feel like we very "Malu- Malu" compared to them  

Asia

Prior to the 2008 Olympic Games, China placed a ban on all thin plastic bags and began requiring retailers to charge a tax on thicker bags. The Chinese government has said that this has led to a two-thirds reduction in plastic bag use. Other countries in Asia that have bans or taxes in place include Bangladesh, Cambodia, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, and Taiwan.

source:

http://study.com/blog/which-countries-have-banned-plastic-bags.html

• Praise 4

If supermarkets make me pay for their bags, I don't think it's correct for them to make me pay for a bag with their logo and shop name on it. In a certain way, I'm advertising for them. I should get a plain, plastic bag instead.

With money saved by the supermarkets by not supplying plastic bags, it just increases their profit margin.

This policy is not well thought out.

Eons ago, i bought Mineral Water in Walmart Munich.  Have to pay EURO for Walmart printed plastic bag.

Edited by Davidtch
  • Praise 1

Haha. That one not cheap hor. And cannot grind bak gut bones so you still need to throw them out the window [laugh]

Another problem coming.  [dead]

• Praise 1

Instead of thinking about charging, why not they give a discount to those who bring their own bags ?

It's all about money.

u give me 50 cent discount for plastic bag usage, i sure bring my own bag  [laugh]

• Praise 2

It's all about money.

there is a 10 cents rebate for $10 purchase if you bring your own bags at ntuc fairprice.
  • Praise 2

Okay....... So now where do I buy plastic bags to bag all my wet kitchen waste in before throwing into the common rubbish chute?

Me also looking for alternatives..

Any suggestions?

• Praise 11

Any suggestions?

You still can get free plastic bags from non supermarkets, like provision shops, markets, hawker centers, etc.

u give me 50 cent discount for plastic bag usage, i sure bring my own bag [laugh]

Yeah. But does it really helps when you're just going to buy plastic bags to line your trashbin anyway?

Any suggestions?

Go to those neighborhood mamak shop or convenience stall. Sure sell plastic bags by the bag load.

Is condom recyclable? Erm.... Will they target condom next? ððð

Cannot recycle but maybe can reduce or reuse.

Reduce usage will also tie in to their other kpi of having more births. 2 birds one stone.

↡ Advertisement