Plastic bag

Poortraveller

at supermarket, pay via self service counters

a lot of plastics bags also self service

dont say i say wan [lipsrsealed]

yup they dont

otherwise charges for bags are expensive

BYOB the best

So if thw supermarkets are really sincere in helping the environment, they should bag all plastic carriers big or small. Follow ikea model...

at supermarket, pay via self service counters

a lot of plastics bags also self service

dont say i say wan [lipsrsealed]

yup they dont

otherwise charges for bags are expensive

BYOB the best

So if thw supermarkets are really sincere in helping the environment, they should bag all plastic carriers big or small. Follow ikea model...

Well, to be frank, Singapore is quite behind in terms of recycling. As a developed nation, our recycling culture is quite far away from other countries, so I actually think this is a gd step forward. We got to start somewhere for the sake of our kids in the future. If the govt asked all of us to start sorting all our rubbishes before we dump them, I'm sure there'll be even more resistance...

• Praise 2

this environmental thingies (eg plastic bags) are just a hype

the packaging for the goods/groceries are also using alot

esp heavy mooncakes boxes/tins, fruits packaging (i hate those hard plastic boxes store 4 pears/apples), self help paper wrapping at ikea, and list goes on.

• Praise 1

No, this is not a good step.

The first step is to have the proper infrastructure set up. Which the government has not done.

Have you seen any sorting bins in HDB estates? Personally I have not seen any. Don't tell me about those all-in-one recycling dumpsters because those are bulls**t.

Well, to be frank, Singapore is quite behind in terms of recycling. As a developed nation, our recycling culture is quite far away from other countries, so I actually think this is a gd step forward. We got to start somewhere for the sake of our kids in the future. If the govt asked all of us to start sorting all our rubbishes before we dump them, I'm sure there'll be even more resistance...

• Praise 1

i do sort and recycle as much as i can. metal tins, plastics and unsoiled paper like egg trays, letters and envelopes. the rest of my waste gets bagged and thrown into the chute.

i can easily sort and recycle because i have 3 diff recycle bins - metal, paper and plastic - just at my carpark. in my old place, the recycle bin is damn far away and it's a common recycle bin for all recyclables.

- So how are the different recyclables separated if they are all in 1 bin?

- I've also seen the rubbish collector just empty this common recycle bin into the normal rubbish truck. So where is the recycling, I wonder. Actually, I have no idea if those recycle bins at my place are properly collected by the waste collection co. All I see daily is 1 (just 1) rubbish truck coming to clear rubbish and (non recycled waste) bins of my neighbours'.

My point is this. If the infrastructure does not allow for ease of recycling at the user level, and at the policy level, is just a broad sweeping stroke of making people pay for not recycling, we are just creating another mess.

I am all for recycling, greening the environment etc. But the end to end process needs to be thought through, in the Singapore perspective of rubbish chutes in high rise buildings (which I pointed out in my earlier post), prominence and accessibility of recycle bins throughout all estates, separate trucks to collect diff kinds of rubbish etc.

Plastic bags are just 1 part of the whole equation. Supermarkets don't have that visibility or helicopter view at all. It has to be done at the ENV Ministerial level whereby it can mobilise all relevant stakeholders - supermarkets, schools (education purpose), waste collection co, incineration plants etc. Dealing at just the plastic bag level is an exercise in futility. And so far, govt effort in the recycling process is quarter-hearted and laughable. [thumbsdown]

• Praise 3

No, this is not a good step.

The first step is to have the proper infrastructure set up. Which the government has not done.

Have you seen any sorting bins in HDB estates? Personally I have not seen any. Don't tell me about those all-in-one recycling dumpsters because those are bulls**t.

agree with you.

my old estate had 1 all-in-one recycling bin tucked at least 50m from the lift lobby, right at the edge of corner, not easily accessible. it's placed there as an after thought. and that is 1 (just 1) bin serving 6 to 7 blocks around my block.

let's ban cars too

Ya, just ban every damn thing in the society and go back living in the caves, forests and jungles.

Primitive, no cost, green and natural.

• Praise 1

Garang guni men these days are not the same as last time.

Used to be that garang guni man takes most if not all the items we wanted to throw. They will usually sort out the valuables and worthless back office. the clearing of the worthless items are kind of like a value added service.

Now they are very picky on the type of things they collect. Even refuse certain items that they find little value. Refuse to accept magazines, spoilt electronic devices etc.

I have seen garang guni man simply remove the metal components (i assume is worth some money) of an old fridge and left the carcass along the private estate road side pavement. the carcass eventually got cleared but that was few weeks later and I assume is by some government agency?

need to support garang guni industry

i do sort and recycle as much as i can. metal tins, plastics and unsoiled paper like egg trays, letters and envelopes. the rest of my waste gets bagged and thrown into the chute.

i can easily sort and recycle because i have 3 diff recycle bins - metal, paper and plastic - just at my carpark. in my old place, the recycle bin is damn far away and it's a common recycle bin for all recyclables.

- So how are the different recyclables separated if they are all in 1 bin?

- I've also seen the rubbish collector just empty this common recycle bin into the normal rubbish truck. So where is the recycling, I wonder. Actually, I have no idea if those recycle bins at my place are properly collected by the waste collection co. All I see daily is 1 (just 1) rubbish truck coming to clear rubbish and (non recycled waste) bins of my neighbours'.

My point is this. If the infrastructure does not allow for ease of recycling at the user level, and at the policy level, is just a broad sweeping stroke of making people pay for not recycling, we are just creating another mess.

I am all for recycling, greening the environment etc. But the end to end process needs to be thought through, in the Singapore perspective of rubbish chutes in high rise buildings (which I pointed out in my earlier post), prominence and accessibility of recycle bins throughout all estates, separate trucks to collect diff kinds of rubbish etc.

Plastic bags are just 1 part of the whole equation. Supermarkets don't have that visibility or helicopter view at all. It has to be done at the ENV Ministerial level whereby it can mobilise all relevant stakeholders - supermarkets, schools (education purpose), waste collection co, incineration plants etc. Dealing at just the plastic bag level is an exercise in futility. And so far, govt effort in the recycling process is quarter-hearted and laughable. [thumbsdown]

And from the way our latest selected President came to existence, we all know that it is not a matter of lack of resources or means. IF they want something done, it can be done and will be done. -_-

Garang guni men these days are not the same as last time.

Used to be that garang guni man takes most if not all the items we wanted to throw. They will usually sort out the valuables and worthless back office. the clearing of the worthless items are kind of like a value added service.

Now they are very picky on the type of things they collect. Even refuse certain items that they find little value. Refuse to accept magazines, spoilt electronic devices etc.

I have seen garang guni man simply remove the metal components (i assume is worth some money) of an old fridge and left the carcass along the private estate road side pavement. the carcass eventually got cleared but that was few weeks later and I assume is by some government agency?

Ya garang guni men only take in items/material that are of value (eg newspapers, electronics, alcohol, etc) but still somewhat recycling which help the environment 

some materials eg cardboards, plastics, glass are still main problem to our environment

those anyhow discard after savaged "precious" metals, i believe are not garang guni men.  They wont have time to do such dismantling. ...probably some individuals

my home area, saw a couple of individuals did this. whenever there is washing machine, fridge, tv or some electronics items around. even leather sofas too, many patches cut out 

poor cleaners who have to clear up the mess.

Actually ikea also dont give plastic bags right?

that's why i don't buy much from ikea nowadays.

another trick is to buy a plastic container, when you need it of cuz, and dump the other stuffs into it.

You see the blue trash container ? Supposed to be for recycling.

They even have stickers showing what you can throw there, cardboard, papers, plastic bottle, glass, no food. etc.

So you do your part and put only those mentioned there.

But apparently, someone saw this, when the truck comes around, they lift the blue container and dumped into the truck bin.

As well as green container and anything.

What recycling ? [laugh]

Edited by Kb27

Just ban cigarettes sales as a start will do...

3 things that will never be banned.

Cigarettes, alcohol and petroleum product.

Bcuz they are dutiable goods and are taxed extremely high, cashcow for the gahmen.

Health and environment ? They are not an issue where big $ is concerned.

↡ Advertisement