Magnifying glass
  • Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
166 replies to this topic | 30 praises

Posted 18 April 2008 - 05:31 PM

Albeniz
  • Albeniz
    NOS-ed
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

I might be making a mid-career switch.
I was at a job fair recently and dropped my particulars at one of the booths.

One international insurance company called me up for an interview. I am not sure if I should attend as I am quite skeptical about the insurance line.

All these while, I have been trained (heavily) in semiconductor-engineering and going into the insurance line is something really new to me.

Any insurance agents out there?
How's career as an insurance agent/financial planner, need your inputs. HELP!
1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 18 April 2008 - 05:37 PM

Mivec9
  • Mivec9
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

i would just say the first 2-3 years is tough. expect little or not much income. u need to have own savings to back-up. This is cos the intial years is to build ur clientele

Also, before becoming one, u need take several computer based tests...like CLI, ILP, HI, etc.

the cream of crop is call MDRT. average one can make 3-4k at least. good ones sky the limit....some of friends hit 7k mthly.
Nuvi with MSM NT 2011.40|Ralliart 15" |Alpine 9886|Alpine 4 channel Amp| 12" JBL Sub|Db Polk Audio Compo|Plasma Xenon|Osram Silverstar|Pivot VS|Stebel Magnum II|Front Strut Bar|Amaron PRO|Simota SS|

Posted 18 April 2008 - 05:40 PM

Typhoonz
  • Premium member
    Typhoonz
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

It's a total industry switch... You got any funds backup? You gave some really good thoughts about going into this line or it's a "try and see how it goes" thing?

Posted 18 April 2008 - 05:42 PM

Watwheels
  • Premium member
    Watwheels
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Since u'r quite skeptical about the insurance line, dan why even consider it?

I came across a handful of ex-insurance agents who later became teachers.

But are u sure? I mean u got that kind of energy to start from scratch all over again?

Edited by Watwheels, 18 April 2008 - 05:46 PM.

The chosen one will bring balance to the Force...I mean Singapore. Even star wars do not reserve "the chosen one" to a sith lord or a jedi or a wookie.

Posted 18 April 2008 - 05:42 PM

Mivec9
  • Mivec9
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

if it is a try and see how, i would suggest go part time first. main thing to have monthly funds to cover all expenses.

I think after MDRT, there is another top level one....chen mingli got that i kw. She is from AIA, Wang yuqing also from aia....he is a mgr

Edited by Xtraun, 18 April 2008 - 05:46 PM.

Nuvi with MSM NT 2011.40|Ralliart 15" |Alpine 9886|Alpine 4 channel Amp| 12" JBL Sub|Db Polk Audio Compo|Plasma Xenon|Osram Silverstar|Pivot VS|Stebel Magnum II|Front Strut Bar|Amaron PRO|Simota SS|

Posted 18 April 2008 - 05:44 PM

Mivec9
  • Mivec9
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

there are alot of dropouts for sales...esp real estate and insurance. hence these managers become smarter by not sponsoring the to-be agent. So everything - u pay for urself.

Posted 18 April 2008 - 05:44 PM

Galantspeedz
  • Premium member
    Galantspeedz
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

contacts, contacts and contacts.

u must have endless stream of new contacts. and most of these can be found at night spots.
MCF PS3 Gang
MCF Hamsup Tiko Ranger

Posted 18 April 2008 - 05:45 PM

Albeniz
  • Albeniz
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

I may not be going in as an insurance agent straightaway.

As it is a big company and there are many departments, I was invited for an interview for an HR position. But I believe in time to come, I will become one of their financial planners/insurance agents as well.

Assuming the first 2-3 yrs is tough (with no income), I should still have some salary from working in their HR department.

Posted 18 April 2008 - 05:47 PM

Tjkbeluga
  • Premium member
    Tjkbeluga
    Supercharged
    Author Image

Do it as part-time basis first lor...

This might sound harsh but it's true... If you are active in the church, that's a good place to start selling. I've friends who did quite well from there. However, after that, you'll really need good knowledge of your product and know how to provide good advices and plans to your customer. To me, a good insurance agent is the one who can plan for your finance and protection needs as time goes on.
Latio Premium Sedan

Guyver
  • Premium member
    Guyver
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

One international insurance company called me up for an interview. I am not sure if I should attend as I am quite skeptical about the insurance line.

All these while, I have been trained (heavily) in semiconductor-engineering and going into the insurance line is something really new to me.

Alot of teachers is buying new cars ... changing new cars now ... so can join teaching .... nod.gif nod.gif
"I rather be disliked by people for who I really am, than to be liked by people for who I am not."

Typhoonz
  • Premium member
    Typhoonz
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Yup... Try part time first and see how...

Mivec9
  • Mivec9
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Huh, can work this way? i'm sure of such cos HR of the agency or HR of the company. It is two different thing.

Posted 18 April 2008 - 05:49 PM

Mivec9
  • Mivec9
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

yup frankly church is one of the best way get contacts. i kw of one who is from church and just becos of that he is the one of the top sales manager...i mean his kakia work well too

Posted 18 April 2008 - 05:50 PM

Mivec9
  • Mivec9
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

u mean teachers pay good? or bonus good?

Most say nowadays teachers job very stressful. It is not as glamourous as u see on tv

Posted 18 April 2008 - 06:11 PM

Albeniz
  • Albeniz
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Since u'r quite skeptical about the insurance line, dan why even consider it?

I came across a handful of ex-insurance agents who later became teachers.

But are u sure? I mean u got that kind of energy to start from scratch all over again?

Some of my ex-classmates with First Class Honors in Engineering (graduated in 1997) ended up in the insurance line today. They are very smart people.

There must be some reasons behind why they switched. But I don't know if it is a wise move.
I need you guys' opinions. Good or bad, I accept.

Edited by Albeniz, 18 April 2008 - 06:13 PM.

Posted 18 April 2008 - 06:14 PM

Dennisk
  • Premium member
    Dennisk
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Hi,

I'm an AIA financial consultant myself, don't worry too much about which field you are trained in.

i was trained in electrical power system , but i'm a financial advisor now.

if you are hard working i can assure that you won't "eat grass" for the first 2-3 years. you can do very well too.
Bravo Italia!

2004-2007- Mazda 323

Posted 18 April 2008 - 06:20 PM

Dennisk
  • Premium member
    Dennisk
    5th Gear
    Author Image

if you wanna join insurance with the mentality of earn big bucks, then from my opinion is that you cannot go far.

if you join with the mentality of helping people to do up thier financial planning properly then you can succeed and stay long in the bussiness

Alot of insurance agent just come and go.
Bravo Italia!

2004-2007- Mazda 323

Posted 18 April 2008 - 06:21 PM

Dennisk
  • Premium member
    Dennisk
    5th Gear
    Author Image

i would just say the first 2-3 years is tough. expect little or not much income. u need to have own savings to back-up. This is cos the intial years is to build ur clientele

Also, before becoming one, u need take several computer based tests...like CLI, ILP, HI, etc.

the cream of crop is call MDRT. average one can make 3-4k at least. good ones sky the limit....some of friends hit 7k mthly.

yup, for insurance line, pay wise sky is the limit. the harder you work the more you get paid
Bravo Italia!

2004-2007- Mazda 323

Posted 18 April 2008 - 06:23 PM

Dennisk
  • Premium member
    Dennisk
    5th Gear
    Author Image

if it is a try and see how, i would suggest go part time first. main thing to have monthly funds to cover all expenses.

I think after MDRT, there is another top level one....chen mingli got that i kw. She is from AIA, Wang yuqing also from aia....he is a mgr

after MDRT will be COT, TOP.
Bravo Italia!

2004-2007- Mazda 323

Posted 18 April 2008 - 06:25 PM

Watwheels
  • Premium member
    Watwheels
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I think u got to be an all rounder in the insurance line to be sucessful. As in not just sell family or individual policies but also corporate, industrial or even car insurance.

So your knowledge on the policies u sell must be tok kong. So have to spent money for their courses to equip yourself.
The chosen one will bring balance to the Force...I mean Singapore. Even star wars do not reserve "the chosen one" to a sith lord or a jedi or a wookie.

Back to Lite & EZ  ·  Non-Car Related Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users