Which fridge brand is better?

Trusty

Which fridge brand is better?  

88 members have voted

1. 1.

• mitsubishi
    • samsung
    • lg

my basic LG fridge doing well. just reached 4 years and still using 5 degree  temp setting. 

But i agree automatic ice cube maker would be very good. I seldom use ice cubes but when want to use every few months time, haha all shrunk until 1/4 the size liao  [laugh]

My only recommendation - and this is my lesson - is don't buy LG...

Ours bought in 2011. Side-by-side type. Within a year, got ice formed behind the panels. Got the technician come and he unscrewed the panels to reveal the thick ice, then like did ice sculpture like that, took hammer and screw driver to break the formed ice...

I observed at the side...

one year plus later, when warranty no more covered, i started doing that myself every year or so, when the ice formed again.

Got one year, ice v big, whole panel kanna pushed outwards from original position.

Then last year, after i did the same, fridge not cold anymore... got the technician to come again, and he diagnosed thermostat spoilt. Had to pay >$100.

And he also said if spoil one more time, then no point repairing again. Better buy new one...

My old place, which i stayed for 11 yr before moving, the fridge is still working fine...

Twincharged

Using Panasonic fridge now and it actually condenses outside the freezer. Many sales people tell me that problem without me telling that I am having such an issue.  [smallcry]

i am also using a regular panasonic fridge ... 270L ... only about 50-70% full most of the time. no problems for the last 4 years.

my basic LG fridge doing well. just reached 4 years and still using 5 degree  temp setting. 

But i agree automatic ice cube maker would be very good. I seldom use ice cubes but when want to use every few months time, haha all shrunk until 1/4 the size liao  [laugh]

You so heng... my LG is NG -- No Good...  [bigcry]

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Mine 7 years old liao.

i am also using a regular panasonic fridge ... 270L ... only about 50-70% full most of the time. no problems for the last 4 years.

You so heng... my LG is NG -- No Good...  [bigcry]

so jialat ar. 

Haha totally different experience for me.

It works well for a fridge that was almost 200 dollars cheaper than a equivalent hitachi. 

I would definitely consider LG if i needed another fridge.

Turbocharged

Mine also rusted.

I'm using Panasonic too. It doesnt hv any condensation problem but the side corner of the door already started to rust. Is it due to condensation?

• Praise 1

Mitsubishi 12 years and no problems.

I bought it cos they make cars and

I like cars.  [thumbsup]

:D

mitsubishi when i bought my fridge few years ago, is sibei outdated technology. U even need to remove a water tray at the bottom once a month at least !!  [crazy]

When i shortlisted the mitsubishi from online specs, the salesman gave me a "are you sure?" look. He said i tell u something first, confirm 100% dealbreaker.

Twincharged

Mine 7 years old liao.

change from 270L to 350L and now 400L ... but my mom will constantly match the amount of things she puts in the fridge against the capacity of the fridge that i buy.

so i est my mitsubishi - which is supposed to be my recommended brand of fridge - also getting injured by my mom's usage. she just continues to shove things in the fridge !

the other day i just found something with a 2013 expiry date in the fridge !!

Aiyo. So cfm Panasonic no good. :(

like i said ... it how you use it.

Edited by Ysc3
  • Praise 1

having a big fridge is useful if u cook few times a week but not daily or go marketing daily.

I kinda regret getting a medium sized fridge only.

Actually a lot of items can be stored in the fridge. I've left stuff in the shelves which all went bad.

so jialat ar. 

Haha totally different experience for me.

It works well for a fridge that was almost 200 dollars cheaper than a equivalent hitachi. 

I would definitely consider LG if i needed another fridge.

yah, no bluff one...

Here's one photo i found in my phone, taken during one of those defrosting session. This is the freezer (supposedly frost-free) compartment after i removed the panel.

post-17508-0-70576900-1506952537_thumb.jpeg

• Praise 1

mitsubishi when i bought my fridge few years ago, is sibei outdated technology. U even need to remove a water tray at the bottom once a month at least !!  [crazy]

When i shortlisted the mitsubishi from online specs, the salesman gave me a "are you sure?" look. He said i tell u something first, confirm 100% dealbreaker.

I didn't know got such a try

and I have not remove any

water tray for the last 12 years.

Maybe mine low end model

so don't have.

:D

My only recommendation - and this is my lesson - is don't buy LG...

Ours bought in 2011. Side-by-side type. Within a year, got ice formed behind the panels. Got the technician come and he unscrewed the panels to reveal the thick ice, then like did ice sculpture like that, took hammer and screw driver to break the formed ice...

I observed at the side...

one year plus later, when warranty no more covered, i started doing that myself every year or so, when the ice formed again.

Got one year, ice v big, whole panel kanna pushed outwards from original position.

Then last year, after i did the same, fridge not cold anymore... got the technician to come again, and he diagnosed thermostat spoilt. Had to pay >$100.

And he also said if spoil one more time, then no point repairing again. Better buy new one...

My old place, which i stayed for 11 yr before moving, the fridge is still working fine...

I've a Maytag side-by-side. It suffers the same problem. It's due to design.

The cooling coil is huge and thus it can form ice easily. Once the ice surround the coil, you don't have cooling for the fridge side and it gets warm.

There's a fan that runs continuously and pushed the cold air over, but the ice form an insulation over the cooling coil. So no cold air, your fridge side is not cold.

A thermostat regulates a heater coil that defrost the ice regularly.

I replaced once, called the service guy, was charged $120.

The 2nd time, I replace the heater myself, and then the thermostat, from old parts.

It broke down again and I didn't replace them.

Instead, I use a programmable analog power switch, those cheap type about $20.

Then I set the switch to turn on/off the fridge. It's like a manual defrost without the heater.

The fridge side remained cold. The ice had enough time to melt on its own.

Although it's not the best option, but it works. The only inconvenience is that sometimes when I open the fridge, the light is off, bcuz the power is off.

I also have fridge thermometer to check the temp. Fridge side optimal temp should be between 0 to 4 degree, for milk, tofu, meat, butter.

Vegetable section can go higher about 10~15 degree.

• Praise 3

I've a Maytag side-by-side. It suffers the same problem. It's due to design.

The cooling coil is huge and thus it can form ice easily. Once the ice surround the coil, you don't have cooling for the fridge side and it gets warm.

There's a fan that runs continuously and pushed the cold air over, but the ice form an insulation over the cooling coil. So no cold air, your fridge side is not cold.

A thermostat regulates a heater coil that defrost the ice regularly.

I replaced once, called the service guy, was charged $120.

The 2nd time, I replace the heater myself, and then the thermostat, from old parts.

It broke down again and I didn't replace them.

Instead, I use a programmable analog power switch, those cheap type about $20.

Then I set the switch to turn on/off the fridge. It's like a manual defrost without the heater.

The fridge side remained cold. The ice had enough time to melt on its own.

Although it's not the best option, but it works. The only inconvenience is that sometimes when I open the fridge, the light is off, bcuz the power is off.

I also have fridge thermometer to check the temp. Fridge side optimal temp should be between 0 to 4 degree, for milk, tofu, meat, butter.

Vegetable section can go higher about 10~15 degree.

Wow, you're very technical and hands-on, i see...  [thumbsup]

I'm already impressed with myself to be able to unscrew and take out the panel to remove the ice - have to disconnect the big fan piece in the process and then reconnect later - and after that put everything back together and it continues to work...

wouldn't have done it if i didn't manage to 偷师 when the technician was doing it the first time.

What does the analog switch do? If want to manually defrost, can't we just switch off the power to the fridge?

Actually, the technician had advised us to do that - switch off the power maybe every 2-3 months for half a day and let the frost that is formed, to melt, then can on again...

But to me, that's like going back to the old type fridge that my mother used when i was a young kid. Those type only one door, with the freezer on the top part of the fridge. Every month must switch off power and wash the fridge...

40 years later, and we regressed instead of progress leh...  [sweatdrop]

So that's it, no more LG fridge for me when this one RODs...