Aluminum radiator or copper?

Qr25vet

i'm gonna custom make them for my car but still contemplating between the 2....copper dissapates heat better than alum but its alot heavier...and now with design alum is better cos the pipings can be bigger compared to copper and its stronger....but is it possible to have alum pipings with copper fins???the last thing i want for my spanking new engine to do is overheat...as there are some thigns in my new engine that even $$ cannot buy liao [sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

↡ Advertisement

Where got ppl use aluminum pipping one? The aluminum oxides formed will be horrendous, clogging your so call radiator. Use the typical copper pipping and aluminum fins radiator.

i have no idea which is y i am asking around for an opinion...cos from what i know copper dissapates heat better than aluminum but less durable as the material is soft...(easily punctures even though its easy to fix back) and its heavy...i've seen from a website that alum. is stronger(thats true) and lighter and also u can have thinner pipings compared to copper so hence more coolant can flow thru..saves space which in turn u can have more tighter piping=more surface area=more efficient am i right to say that? which is why i thought of copper fins with alum piping...

when i see the word "custom" usually it gives me the idea its more expensive than ready made ones.dun mind me asking whats the pros and cons of this custom made radiator?is it the ability to choose the material used ? or is it much better than those aftermarket off the shelf type like FLUIDYNE or KOYOrad ?

as i;ve no lobang for custom made ones so i opted for koyo coupled with samco 2pc silicon radiator hose together with the hks oil cooler with thermostat control and it works pretty well maintaining stable reasonable water temp and oil temp .

i'm gonna custom make them for my car but still contemplating between the 2....copper dissapates heat better than alum but its alot heavier...and now with design alum is better cos the pipings can be bigger compared to copper and its stronger....but is it possible to have alum pipings with copper fins???the last thing i want for my spanking new engine to do is overheat...as there are some thigns in my new engine that even $$ cannot buy liao sweatdrop.gifsweatdrop.gif

Not sure if this info late for your decision...

Quote:"

Original equipment coolants are validated for factory replacement parts. One of the issues that may arise is the use of an aftermarket replacement radiator or heater core made of copper-brass with lead solder. We have in previous articles pointed out that today's coolant inhibitor packages contain a small amount of copper-brass protection, but may provide little protection if a radiator is made with high-lead solder. Results of industry standard tests of the new Toyota extended-life coolant now show a substantial weight loss (corrosion), both in a 50-50 mix and in a 33% coolant mixture (solder corrosion is much greater in this more diluted solution).

If you have to change a radiator or heater core, use aluminum. Or, if it's an older car and the owner wants the lowest-cost radiator, you might procure a soldered-together copper-brass unit. Conventional American coolant should provide better protection against solder corrosion, which can result in radiator tube restrictions and leaks. But no coolant provides perfect protection.

If you're replacing aluminum parts on an engine, such as a water pump or even a new cylinder head, remember that part's coolant passages have not been protected. In those cases you should perform a complete coolant exchange. " Unquote

Complete article found here: http://www.motor.com/article.asp?article_ID=816

↡ Advertisement