Part 2: Need M'sia IDs to buy cheap(er) rice liao!

Singer

Neutral Newbie

ST May 6, 2008

Sell subsidised rice only to Malaysians, minister proposes

By Zackaria Abdul Rahim

MALAYSIA might soon stop Singaporeans and Thais from buying its subsidised rice, Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs Minister Shahrir Abdul Samad said yesterday. He told The Straits Times that the government is studying the best way to prevent the staple commodity from being taken out of the country and an announcement is expected within a month.

The plan comes a day after he proposed restricting the sale of subsidised diesel and petrol to only those with Malaysian identity cards. Singaporeans and Thais could still buy fuel in Malaysia, but at full market rates.

Explaining that the rice proposal was to ensure sufficient supplies and keep prices stable in the country, the Johor MP said: 'I was not purposely targeting Singapore. I'm fond of Singaporeans.'

Datuk Shahrir said he did not have any figure on whether rice is among the top items that Singaporeans bought in Malaysia. The country's cheaper goods have been a big draw for Singaporeans for years now.

'The price of rice in Malaysia is lower by at least RM3 (S$1.30) per kg compared to Thailand and Indonesia, and much lower compared to Singapore,' Datuk Shahrir was quoted as saying by AFP. 'Rice is being taken out of the country because it is cheap, since it is a subsidised commodity. I am asking my officers to study if we can stop the movement of rice across the border just like one cannot take out subsidised cooking oil.'

Some Singaporeans were surprised when told of the proposed measure.

'I am particularly upset that the Malaysian government would introduce the new ruling when the region is experiencing inflation and skyrocketing prices,' said Mrs Lynette Chan, a marketing executive in her 30s.

She said her family saves up to 15 per cent on expenses when shopping for groceries in Johor each month.

Mrs Alison Poh, a housewife in her mid-30s, said: 'They are hurting their own economy if we stop shopping in Johor.'

Separately, Prime Minister Abdullah Badawi, was quoted by The Star newspaper as saying that smugglers of essential items such as petrol and rice are 'betrayers of the country and of all Malaysians' and that Malaysians must help fight the scourge.

↡ Advertisement

I never knew it's possible to buy rice from Msia and bring back to Singapore... Wasn't it a controlled item all these while? Likewise for sugar, oil....

Turbocharged

anyone have a list of which type of household items and food that cannot be brought back to singapore

Neutral Newbie

10 kilos cap as it is not a controlled items yet

Controlled items like sugar, flour, cooking oil, etc are a big no no

Now, with htis new proposal, how are they going to implement?

1. at the hypermarket counter (creating jam?),

2. special counter for foreigners,

3. at checkpoint like they once did to check on cooking oil? (creating another havoc and might put off those who go in for a mere fuel)

Neutral Newbie

Lemme attempt...

1. Palm based cooking oil (still can buy premium ones like sunflower, capped at 10kgs)

2. Sugar

3. Flour

4. White bread

5. Condensed milk

6. pls cont or correct...

Mrs Alison Poh, a housewife in her mid-30s, said: 'They are hurting their own economy if we stop shopping in Johor.'

Is Singapore consumers really so big headed? Everytime new ban will hurt JB meh?

Please loh....this excuse and self-gratifying attitude is getting LAME.

This thinking has to change. For crying out loud, Singaporeans consumers are just a small part of the JB economy.

Supercharged

pls la....this woman too condescending....

of 5 serious tourist to Malaysia, there are every 10 that goes in make use of the subsidized petrol only.

the contribution from that 5 serious tourist is not enough to cover the loss from the 10 that goes in regularly to pump petrol.

Neutral Newbie
ST May 6, 2008

By Zackaria Abdul Rahim

MALAYSIA might soon stop Singaporeans and Thais from buying its subsidised rice, Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs Minister Shahrir Abdul Samad said yesterday. He told The Straits Times that the government is studying the best way to prevent the staple commodity from being taken out of the country and an announcement is expected within a month.

The plan comes a day after he proposed restricting the sale of subsidised diesel and petrol to only those with Malaysian identity cards. Singaporeans and Thais could still buy fuel in Malaysia, but at full market rates.

Explaining that the rice proposal was to ensure sufficient supplies and keep prices stable in the country, the Johor MP said: 'I was not purposely targeting Singapore. I'm fond of Singaporeans.'

Datuk Shahrir said he did not have any figure on whether rice is among the top items that Singaporeans bought in Malaysia. The country's cheaper goods have been a big draw for Singaporeans for years now.

'The price of rice in Malaysia is lower by at least RM3 (S$1.30) per kg compared to Thailand and Indonesia, and much lower compared to Singapore,' Datuk Shahrir was quoted as saying by AFP. 'Rice is being taken out of the country because it is cheap, since it is a subsidised commodity. I am asking my officers to study if we can stop the movement of rice across the border just like one cannot take out subsidised cooking oil.'

'I am particularly upset that the Malaysian government would introduce the new ruling when the region is experiencing inflation and skyrocketing prices,' said Mrs Lynette Chan, a marketing executive in her 30s.

She said her family saves up to 15 per cent on expenses when shopping for groceries in Johor each month.

Separately, Prime Minister Abdullah Badawi, was quoted by The Star newspaper as saying that smugglers of essential items such as petrol and rice are 'betrayers of the country and of all Malaysians' and that Malaysians must help fight the scourge.

Come on man,

I do not think malaysia government is subsidary to their citizen.

V-power in malaysia is 2.15 per litres.

An office worker also earn the range of RM1.2k-1.5k but also paying the same amount of price as singapore normal office worker for a V-power 2.3++..The price is around there.

We are buying cheap because of better currency exchange rate we got.

Then how to put in this way?Malaysian come to singapore and earn our SGD out of singapore...Did we ever complain about this?

Lemme attempt...

1. Palm based cooking oil (still can buy premium ones like sunflower, capped at 10kgs)

2. Sugar

3. Flour

4. White bread

5. Condensed milk

6. pls cont or correct...

condom

toothbrush

shampoo?

[laugh][lipsrsealed]

Clutched

Bro, SGD100 = RM229

Which means by right the citizen in MY should have paid about RM4 for the actual rate of the petrol. After subsidised, they only have to pay RM2.15. Got it?

Turbocharged
(edited)

SG garment make $0.40 tax out of every lit of RON92 and 95 petrol..and those cb cartels are making a HUGE profit..that's why our petrol are so farking ex..

i would not be suprised of the unsubsidised petrol in msia cost alot lesser than here..

Edited by Shull

Neutral Newbie

just give the pump attendant rm10 to use his IC can liao.

ST May 6, 2008

By Zackaria Abdul Rahim

Turbocharged

Is Singapore consumers really so big headed? Everytime new ban will hurt JB meh?

Please loh....this excuse and self-gratifying attitude is getting LAME.

This thinking has to change. For crying out loud, Singaporeans consumers are just a small part of the JB economy.

this sentence alone [hur]

'I am particularly upset that the Malaysian government would introduce the new ruling when the region is experiencing inflation and skyrocketing prices,'

shouldn't she upset about sg for not doing anything when someone said it very clearly, increasing pay is not the solution and IF next year got "leftover" from budget, then only will help instead... [hur]

Neutral Newbie

singapore should ban msians from working in singapore too! y let them earn our singapore dollar! pay them mkt rate in ringgit! tit for tat!

↡ Advertisement