Is it a good time to buy a landed property to stay now?

Milgram

I agree. Good enough to be investment ? I'm not sure, but for owner-occupier, definitely sure if u can afford it.

Investment?  Not sure.  Its rather illiquid.  More like a hedge like somebody mentioned, against inflation. Even condo ppty takes a while to liquidate, let alone landed.

I prefer more liquid assets or better, puting money in business as investments.

But I really appreciate all the sharing here.  Not just bull stories. Unfortunately i cant `praise' due to lack of points but OmOm has some points I like

↡ Advertisement

Thanks for sharing.

The young (say in their 20s) are not likely to like to cook, let alone manage a landed property. Even the "new" citizens coming in, they are likely in their forties or fifties?

With the TDSR, the landed segment is unlikely to be affordable by the "old citizens". There is therefore a limit to how far it can run in my opinion.

The ones who can buy up the landed properties in future will be the Govt, who may likely use it for redevelopment for infrastructure and higher density uses. My thoughts only.

I'm also leaning on the side that new citizens are more likely to choose landed over an apt in the sky.  And this is from my own experience but not here in Sg.  My relative who migrated to Perth bought a 500sqm single story landed for AUD 150K donkey years ago (ok, maybe late 90s).  10 years ago when I started my interest in ppty investment, it was AUD 250k.  Fast forward to today, my relative's neighbour sold a smaller plot (350sqm) land for AUD 1m last month.  And all this while, the prices of that street were driven up by new citizens (a small % were Sg and malaysians but the majority were from ....you probably can guess where....They buy without even bargaining at all.  Once on the market, they just buy and without financing required.  They are on a different level from everyone.

And coupled with practically no new landed supply and the white paper, I can't ignore my instints that land price and landed ppty prices can only rise faster than condo.  Now, I'm really not trying to drum up support for landed coz I'm not looking to sell.  In fact, if i could, i would buy another and low prices will benefit me coz I'm looking to invest some more but time is not on my side due to shorter tenure.  But I really believe in what I said above and would like to share my thoughts.  In fact, I wish all old citizens can see this and get a piece of the pie coz it pains me to see the new citizens buying up our land.  Truely, this is from my heart.

• Praise 2

A glaring aspect of the stimulus programmes is staring us unblinkingly in the face. In spite of the huge amounts of monies that have been pumped into the system, inflation remains stubbornly low. The US Federal Reserve has repeatedly cited that they are waiting for inflation to pick up before they raise the interest rates. Even in Singapore we see that inflation has been at levels lower than those a few years ago. 

This contradicts normal economic theory which points towards heightened inflation from monetary expansion programmes. Instead of rising inflation, we are now looking at disinflatory pressure taking root in many economies worldwide. So what is happening?

My conjecture is that the velocity of money is diminishing. For every dollar that has been created under the stimulus programmes, only a small fraction actually flows out into the economy to stimulate it. This means that the effectiveness of stimulus programmes has been very low and the only reason why we are still seeing asset price bubbles forming is because the amount produced by such programmes has been unimaginably large.

Had the effectiveness of the stimulus programmes been much higher and a higher percentage of the funds went into the real economy, inflation numbers would already have hit double digits based on the quantums that have come from these activities. 

In short, a large part of the monies that were produced by these programmes has not gone out into the real economy but is being trapped somewhere in the system (where?).

The crunch comes when the reversal takes place, when these stimulus programmes have to be stopped. Just as monetary expansion is inflationary in nature, the opposite of it generates disinflatory effects, and in extreme cases (such as what we have today globally), intense deflationary pressures.

Thus, my humble opinion is that when interest rates begin to rise, deflation will come down hard and fast on the global economy. 

This will cause the value of cash to increase tremendously, and debt to become more expensive to hold. Asset prices will fall in such a situation. 

Nothing happens by chance. Everything that is occurring at the global level has happened to fulfil a certain agenda. 

The USD is losing its foothold as the key global reserve currency as the Saudis start moving away from the Petrodollar system. Without any form of active action, the USD will soon lose favour with everyone. 

China and Russia are busy hoarding gold as part of their bigger and longer-term plans. The chinese government wants RMB to be part of the SDR but the US has successfully managed to postpone that. 

By accumulating gold, China is preparing to shock the world by suddenly announcing the huge gold reserves that they have and thus crashing the USD.

And the US is working to prevent this from happening. 

For years, it has been common fact that after the gold standard became defunct in the 1930s, fiat currency has became riskier to hold given the ease with which they can be manipulated and abused. 

Today, deflation has become a tool with which the value of cash (fiat currency including the USD) can be pushed up and perceived asset values (including those of gold) pushed down. 

By reading in between the lines, you will see that this is to buy time until there is something more concrete with which the US can support the USD with. However time is running out. The oil price war between the US and OPEC points towards a grim situation for the former. 

Once the timer has run out and the US has nothing feasible to support the USD with, we may be looking at the biggest national debt default in history as everything unwinds in a disorderly fashion.

How does one brace himself for such a turn? The key is in reducing debt exposure as quickly as possible, either through partial repayments or completely exiting the liability (selling the underlying security). Also, agility is crucial. 

Since deflation pushes down asset prices (including gold), it will be safer to hold cash for a period of time to ride this out. After that initial period, it depends alot on whether the USD crashes. In the event the USD starts crashing, it means that the great default would be imminent. In such a case, gold will immediately reverse its fall in price and shoot skywards.

Depends on whether you believe in Kondratiev cycles.

http://www.financialsense.com/contributors/christopher-quigley/kondratieff-waves-and-the-greater-depression-of-2013-2020

• Praise 1

The ones who can buy up the landed properties in future will be the Govt, who may likely use it for redevelopment for infrastructure and higher density uses. My thoughts only.

this thought does not come with speculations but history prevails . . . look at the most recent ones . . .  paya lebar, teacher estate etc. . .

so choosing a landed gotta be careful of its surroundings...... next, jurong west

Ok i be serious now.

You dont like landed because you havent quite grown up yet.

And you havent exactly made your money either.

At most in your early thirties and still living with your parents, grandparents, uncle/aunties.

You are dying for a space of your own so a small simple condo is currently your dream at the moment.

Its ok, i was like that 15yrs ago.

Started out with a 1800sft bachelors pad and another studio loft in D9.

I never ever thought of buying landed as a late 20something to early 30something.

Its a youngster, wannabe hip thing lah.

I understand, i was young and stupid too. (Lucky not too stupid)

You'll grow up.

Yes.

Maybe I haven't grown up.. when compared to your age?

I am a self made man. I make my own money. I stay in the landed property that belongs to my parents because they have one extra. It's just me and my fiance so it's a big waste of space. I am waiting for my own private condo to be ready which I bought with my own $. Sorry I took housing loan though. I buy my own cars, I even pay for my dad's car instalment.

I am not even 30 yet but near. But I think that's a good thing in my case.

I was just sharing the woes of living in a landed property but you just had to take it another way and find every single opportunity to show off to other forum users here or put others down. You even resort to calling people haven't grown up.. what? Must reach 40-50 years old and chubby or uncle like you to be considered grown up?

Whatever rows your boat ^^ I am out of here.

• Praise 1
  • Dislike 1

I am a self made man. I make my own money. I stay in the landed property that belongs to my parents because they have one extra. It's just me and my fiance so it's a big waste of space. I am waiting for my own private condo to be ready which I bought with my own $. Sorry I took housing loan though. I buy my own cars, I even pay for my dad's car instalment.

I was just sharing the woes of living in a landed property but you just had to take it another way and find every single opportunity to show off to other forum users here or put others down. You even resort to calling people haven't grown up.. what? Must reach 40-50 years old and chubby or uncle like you to be considered grown up?

Yup so i am correct. Why you so upset?

Hee hee, another bites the dust.

Edited by Throttle2

hi ya  @Nissan833    :D  ... dont take it at heart. The people here likes to poke at others. Actually nothing de . Just abit suan here suan there. Dont get upset.  

Anyway , T2 is legendary here. kekeke  [smash]  His words are like knife stabbing  [knife]  but do have some goodness. 

Take it as generation gaps ba , u are considered very young. its weekend  :a-toast: Ai lim mai ? 

haha  :grin:

• Praise 5

OK hold cash until US ultimately collapses.

What if US doesn't collapse, and just symbolically and marginally raises interest rates for the next 10 years? 

What if every single country embarks on easing programmes to cope with the previous debt?

What are the risks of your strategy?

Agree... hold cash.

But.. but... in which currency?

US$? But the prediction is that US$ will crash.

RMB? RM? Peso? IDR?  [sly]

Then, which bank?

ANZ, Maybank, BPI, BCA, 

Ok... S$ in CPF is the safest.  :D

• Praise 2

Yup so i am correct. Why you so upset?

Hee hee, another bites the dust.

You old chubby unker has more longevity in MCF than 20s hipster.

Kudos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Praise 1

You old chubby unker has more longevity in MCF than 20s hipster.

Kudos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thankyou Brother, i in MCF more than 10yrs leh....

Longer than some mods even.

Aiyah, Young people kena poke poke a bit only, cannot take it liao.

I didnt even talk about whether he was self made or not.

Read thru my post carefully, I was talking about a persons taste, wants and needs with reference to age and experience. But young people, fire gas very big, straightaway jump skyhigh, argue and fight, sigh..

Like me, low education, low income.

Choice is obiang, ah chek full gold rolex.....definitely not AP or RM or UW or MBF...

Simple logic

Muayhahahaha, good weekend

Edited by Throttle2
  • Praise 3
  • Dislike 1

Bro T2, I think he was offended because you assumed in your words that one day, when he has reached your age, you would think like him. 

It's not true, or at least not definitely true. Some people  don't care or are oblivious about their housing. Some need more space some need much lesser just for example. 

And there's definitely generation gaps in preference. Even differences across countries. A greater acceptance of individual differences and preferences will help.

Thankyou Brother, i in MCF more than 10yrs leh....
Longer than some mods even.

Aiyah, Young people kena poke poke a bit only, cannot take it liao.
I didnt even talk about whether he was self made or not.

Read thru my post carefully, I was talking about a persons taste, wants and needs with reference to age and experience. But young people, fire gas very big, straightaway jump skyhigh, argue and fight, sigh..

Like me, low education, low income.
Choice is obiang, ah chek full gold rolex.....definitely not AP or RM or UW or MBF...
Simple logic

Muayhahahaha, good weekend

• Praise 2

Bro T2, I think he was offended because you assumed in your words that one day, when he has reached your age, he would LOOK like you:secret-laugh:  :XD:

• Praise 4

Bro T2, I think he was offended because you assumed in your words that one day, when he has reached your age, you would think like him.

It's not true, or at least not definitely true. Some people don't care or are oblivious about their housing. Some need more space some need much lesser just for example.

And there's definitely generation gaps in preference. Even differences across countries. A greater acceptance of individual differences and preferences will help.

Corrections dude.....whether he has reached my age or not, I will not think like him.......hahaha (picking on your sentence formation)

But its clear he was offended more because he thought that i said he was using his fathers money etc...

So he said he is self made , buy own house , own car etc....

Which is completely misunderstanding the post becos he was blinded by pride.

Read my post again, its just a reference made towards a person's taste and choices as he ages.

I said i was stupid at that age too, didnt i?

Muayhahahah......

U r quite an achiever for ur age and doing very well already

Dont take things too heart :)

Corrections dude.....whether he has reached my age or not, I will not think like him.......hahaha (picking on your sentence formation)

But its clear he was offended more because he thought that i said he was using his fathers money etc...

So he said he is self made , buy own house , own car etc....

Which is completely misunderstanding the post becos he was blinded by pride.

Read my post again, its just a reference made towards a person's taste and choices as he ages.

I said i was stupid at that age too, didnt i?

Muayhahahah......

Lai....test whether u r smarter or not...can give doggie all ur rolexes? [:p][laugh]

• Praise 1

Bro T2, I think he was offended because you assumed in your words that one day, when he has reached your age, he would LOOK like you. :secret-laugh::XD:

Muayhahaha

Lai....test whether u r smarter or not...can give doggie all ur rolexes? [:p][laugh]

No need to test lah. I sibei stupid one.

Only suitable to wipe tables.

Now want to wipe also cant....

How stupid am i

↡ Advertisement