Private property prices... Up or Down?

Kelfinity

Merry Xmas everyone. Just wanna share a meaningful fb post by zappyolks.

What does "Be happy, always" mean?

Being happy is not a goal, a destination nor a feeling. Happiness, is a state of mind.

We can’t think once our goal is achieved, once we finally have enough money or retire, once we’re free of illness and misfortunate... THEN we’ll finally experience happiness.

We cannot barter for happiness in the future and think "It's okay to suffer NOW so that I can be happy later", because there is no such thing as future happiness. Because the future doesn't exist. At any moment, the future only exists in our heads.

But what if we're really not happy right now? The answer isn’t faking or forcing happiness into our lives. What we CAN do, is to understand that there is a difference between pleasure and happiness.

Pleasures are extremely linked to feelings but happiness on the other hand, is a state of mind, which can be independent of feelings. That doesn’t makes us robots, because robots do not have conscious minds, and WE do.

Our lives are filled with challenges, problems, frustrations, disappointments, illnesses... so if we think "I'll be happy when my life is free of this problem or burden", then we're just going to spend 90% of our time not happy. Because the truth is that as long as we're human, our lives are never be absolutely absent of problems or challenges.

So as long as we have a conscious mind, we can practice building the strength of the mind so that it sees the positive in every situation. We need our minds to be in the best possible state, to be healthy and positive, so that even through the challenging times, we are not slaves to it.

We can develop a state of mind where it becomes a HABIT to look at the bright side of things; to cultivate optimism instead of anxiety.

Don’t wait for happiness to come around because happiness does not exist in the future, because WE do not exist in the future. We live in the present, and happiness is where we are, right now and already all AROUND us, it just depends on whether our minds are aware enough to see it.

Remember that you don't have to be doing what gives you pleasure to be happy. And if we can understand that, then we can be content no matter what, and be happy, always.

↡ Advertisement

I also prefer resale. Reason being the buyer can have higher bargaining power. It's always easier bargaining with a motivated seller rather than with developer.

Also, I get to see the actual unit, the condition of the estate, the type of neighbours, actual traffic conditions, and the health of the sinking fund before deciding.

Profit for the owner, so be it.

Also The built quality of new units these days are like shit! Lots of subpar materials.

can i lowball 2005/2006 condo what is already 10 years old [sly]

Also The built quality of new units these days are like shit! Lots of subpar materials.

It doesn't quite matter whether you are first owner, 2nd or 3rd. All can make money, provided they buy it at the right price.

I can show you also first owner will lose money if they bought at a super hype up price. Latest one being Chelsea Gardens, 19 years holding period, freehold in D10, but still lose money. check the story here:

http://www.theedgeproperty.com.sg/content/hefty-loss-incurred-despite-19-year-holding-period

So if the first resale owner make money so be it. It means the property brought him prosperity, and not some force fire sale because of divorce, bankrupt, etc. There is lot sof money in the world to go around, and if the 2nd owner buy at a fair price, there will still be money to be made. I seen it all the time being in this business.

In today's market, there are some really good resale deals going around. Like some members said, the older units had good layout, more spacious and very fair psf. But one need to assess the value carefully, and know what is the price level to enter for that condo.. There could be a few condo in the same area, and not every condo is the same. Talk to a professional and they should be able to suggest some good resale.

Those areas like newton or novena with lot of small condos can be difficult to gauge the relative value.

Actually, how to tell if the materials are lumpar?

Quality of the doors. Door handles. Windows frame and the sliding or swing out movement. Wardrobe and kitchen Cabinet quality. Both the wood and the hardware used. But all these can be changed. But it's a brand new unit for goodness sake, you should expect parts to last 5-6years easily.

More difficult to see, but the best indicator would be to see inside the false ceiling where they run cables or pipes.

Actually if you have been to new Swiss homes you really can see the quality of the fittings. Windows, doors etc and they really last.

Blessed Christmas.

I do the Math for you.

Both our properties combined cost 2.15m

Take 25% for downpayment, stamp duty and other fees.

Drum roll...... 535k!

Of course, we had buffer of 80k to do Reno & furnishing for own stay.

There you go. It's achievable.

FYI, I'm late 30s and my wife is early 30s.

We all semi Garmen Slaves.

since you have 3 kids, own stay must be at least a 3 bedder right?

achievable ... but not for single income family like me

still scary though if working in private sector

Edited by Enye

Quality of the doors. Door handles. Windows frame and the sliding or swing out movement. Wardrobe and kitchen Cabinet quality. Both the wood and the hardware used. But all these can be changed. But it's a brand new unit for goodness sake, you should expect parts to last 5-6years easily.

More difficult to see, but the best indicator would be to see inside the false ceiling where they run cables or pipes.

Actually if you have been to new Swiss homes you really can see the quality of the fittings. Windows, doors etc and they really last.

I agree, exactly!

So build your own house ... like I did

Edited by merc280v6

Those areas like newton or novena with lot of small condos can be difficult to gauge the relative value.

Need to access certain agents' tools and apps. They have the means to analyse this if they want to a certain degree of accuracy.  It is not 100 percent, but certainly better than tools available to consumers which are typically free.

• Praise 1

The older Far East properties typically have poor build. CDL and Sim Lian aren't too bad.

UOL and CDL generally develop good quality condos. Speaking from experience. Far East used to be bad but not sure if they have improved. Local Developers still better than China Developers. Do not even bother going anywhere near a Condo developed by a China developer.
  • Praise 4

UOL and CDL generally develop good quality condos. Speaking from experience. Far East used to be bad but not sure if they have improved. Local Developers still better than China Developers. Do not even bother going anywhere near a Condo developed by a China developer.

How about CapitaLand, Allgreen, Hoi Hup, Frasers Centrepoint? Edited by Theoldjaffa

you pay what you get

there is no good quality cheap condo

That's the thing, Far East - built by the senior was not cheap but they used shoddy materials.

CDL, UOL and Sim Lian are fine.

And it doesn't mean German kitchen ware = good quality.. for an idea of how the feel and quality is like visit their previous projects.

And I agree, stay away from the Chinese ones..

• Praise 1

That's the thing, Far East - built by the senior was not cheap but they used shoddy materials.

CDL, UOL and Sim Lian are fine.

And it doesn't mean German kitchen ware = good quality.. for an idea of how the feel and quality is like visit their previous projects.

And I agree, stay away from the Chinese ones..

Yes, and using so called better brands is not good enough

Workmanship in installation is very important.

since you have 3 kids, own stay must be at least a 3 bedder right?

achievable ... but not for single income family like me

still scary though if working in private sector

The "iconic" Jurong Gateway has just TOP

Looking at property guru asking rentals for studios $3.2-3.8k,

looks on par or even higher than similar sized studios in orchard road or CBD

Sellers for studios asking for 1800-2000pfs

If any can transact at those prices, then it can take over the prime status from orchard/CBD way ahead of time liao [laugh]

• Praise 8

The "iconic" Jurong Gateway has just TOP

Looking at property guru asking rentals for studios $3.2-3.8k,

looks on par or even higher than similar sized studios in orchard road or CBD

Sellers for studios asking for 1800-2000pfs

If any can transact at those prices, then it can take over the prime status from orchard/CBD way ahead of time liao [laugh]

I think you are making wrong comparison.

Psf comparison must be made according to size of unit and not on standalone becos smaller units always have higher psf price (all else equal)

500sf at $2000psf is only $1mil. SUP SUP SUAY

Most bros in McF can afford to buy with full cash

But proper size 1200sf at $2000psf means $2.4mil

Only some bros in MCF can buy with full cash.

Comparing the 500sf with 1200sf just becos both are $2000psf is not very right.

Anyway dont misunderstand, and forgive me if i say anything wrong, i only live in CCk HdB.

Good night.

↡ Advertisement