Sand-paper brake pads ????

Try_conti

went to servo for my 22.5k oil change this morning. Brought my own c*rlube and paid for the filter + labour $42.

The mech also top-up radiator coolant (with water, of course) and power-steering fluid ..... foc ...... thumbsup.gif

Actually I was looking for Dennis also but he went out. So ended up speaking to Philip. Told him about my brake squealing @ low speed ~ 15kmh. Anyone encountered this b4 ?

He told me that it would cost $60 labour charge for that service which include removing all 4 wheels. That's fine with me but what he said next ......shocked.gif he'll sand-paper the brake pads .....

Thought sand-paper of brake pads and disc is a no-no .... ? any comments anyone ?

↡ Advertisement

Never thought that you should sand paper brake or pads. Doing this compromised the texture of the pads/shoes, unless the sand paper is extremely smooth, which is highly unlikely.

For disc and disc pads, it is either worn(but then you can see it) or it has trapped something there and it will be remove by itself after some braking.

For drums and shoes (rear), it is an indication that the brake is dirty (felt during light braking) or it is worn out (squealing under Heavy braking).

In my view, YOU HAVE BEEN CONNED.

Previously my brake drum squeal. they remove the drum and clean the dust inside and squeal no more. Not sure about brake disc setup.

no worries ..... cause I just said to Philip "Leave it alone" when he mentioned sand-papering it. Can't believe what I'm hearing ..... shakehead.gif

That's why I was looking for Dennis, but too bad he went out.

i can hear the slight squeal when i'm in the car and brake at the crawling speed. haven't figure out whether the squealing is from the front (disc) or back (drum).

You are absolutely right. There are some pads/shoes make more noise during braking due to the material, Hard or soft. Previously the used asbestos which is best, in my view, of course bad for the mechanic.

Cannot remember who or which one, when I told him about my abs failure, he told me that it cost 1,800 to change everything. Mind you, usually the approach for abs is the speed sensors is the key failure.And further told me about the brakes are not working...crap, that was the last I have been there.

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif...then you will not make money....

Anyway, you are right to check with others first before deciding to do that issue.

no mah ... they can always charge for labour mah ... no parts involved but labour charge.....

at least you 'tiak' everything until chui-chui, ppl see liao will go "wah ... so much work arh" , then they don't mind paying you to keep their hands clean ....

better than AD charging cut-throat labour charge but don't allow you to see what they do (if they really do anything at all .....)

crazy.gif no wonder when people speak abt servo, its Dennis tts mentioned ..... sweatdrop.gif but then again, there are others that prefers them to others ....

don't know leh ... haven't got a chance to meet Dennis face-to-face.

So far both times when I was there, Dennis not around and always kena Philip ..... unsure.gif

Got this feeling Philip trying to take the easy way out .....

Neutral Newbie

no need to try the sand paper way....did it to mine several times but still no difference.

try to avoid car wash at petrol kiosk if possible.

worse come to worse change the whole set of rotors and brake pads, it should cost no more than 250 for all.

(edited)

You might want to try this way. I will usually asked them what is wrong, go back make a mark before I allow them to anything on it. An agent ever told me that they changed my fuel pump(not working properly) during warranty, I made a mark and return to them for the change. Of course, later refused to pay.

Edited by Fortress

Neutral Newbie

i always change my rotors and pads after 20'000km, anything after 20'000km my brakes will start to squeek..

I am at 110,000km, 5.5 years and have not changed the rotor....it is also the pads the determines the life, softer one helps but dirtier. Another killers of rotor, washing, raining and ABS.

↡ Advertisement