Japan: Osaka - Holiday in Osaka

Slowwalker

For foodies:

1) Ichiran Ramen at Dotomburi is simply the best ramen I had. The broth is superb and there is a small side dish with pork that's very appetizing; 

2) Ajikitcho (Horie) is a very traditional restaurant that serves fine Japanese cuisine. The dishes are exquisite, well-presented and delicious. It's almost an attack on the palate with the various in-seasoned flavours and scent. We were served by the same host in kimono during the 2-hour dinner, and I can still remember the host half-bending and waving at us when we left the restaurant. I kept turning my head and still see her even after 10 min. This is what good service feels like;

3) Harijyu at Dotomburi is quite special, with a choice of shabu-shabu or sukiyaki. We tried sukiyaki because my son loves sweet broth. The quality of the black-beef wagyu was very good. It was another great night of dining; 

4) Taishou Hanana near the Bamboo Groves at Arashiyama serves the best grilled sea-bream I ever had. Lightly-marinated to perfection. That green tea was fragrant and highly recommended;

5) Ishida Kitanozaka at Kobe is a good place for... Kobe beef. The garlic rice was cooked using the leftover oil from the Kobe beef, and I think we enjoyed the garlic rice more than all the courses beforehand, including the Kobe beef;

6) The queue at Endo Sushi at the Osaka Central Fish Market was full of tourists, and we queued up for 1 hour. However, I think the wait is worth it, the quality of the sushi was really good. I think the chef has found a good balance in the aging of the various fish, particularly the tuna. The shell fish and uni were also excellent. The clams miso soup is also nice; 

7) Matsuzaka Gyu Yakiniku M Hozenji-Yokocho is nothing special. I think it is same league as gyukaku;

8) Somewhat similar to Endo Sushi, Harukoma at Tenjinbashi is also very popular with tourists, particularly the Koreans. The fish is not as good quality as Endo in my opinion;

9) Shabu chin at Namba is perfect to clear our palate after many days of intense flavours. The soup base is just water and the owner used Kobe beef here as well. At the end of the meal, the soup was converted to ramen quite magically. Nice;

10) We have our best meal at Kagaman for this trip. 11 courses. We experienced the kappo style of dining here, The waiting crew was attentive and prompt to our needs. I think this restaurant is even better than Ajikitcho (Horie).  

A special mention to St Regis Hotel. It is almost in the middle of Namba and Umeda, and the street along the hotel was lined with beautiful lighting due to the year-end festivities. The service standards of the staff, the general comfort level, and the view from our "skyline" room was gorgeous.  

I love Osaka.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

Most of the cards are bought from Taobao.

Less than half of what they are selling in singapore.

dont be bluff by the unlimted data.

the 1st 3GB are on 4G, follow by will be very slow speed.

Starhub hi-card (i mean prices) beats most of the cards market is selling.

Cheaper and easier to set-up the APN compare to other overseas cards.

Most of the cards are bought from Taobao.

Less than half of what they are selling in singapore.

dont be bluff by the unlimted data.

the 1st 3GB are on 4G, follow by will be very slow speed.

Starhub hi-card (i mean prices) beats most of the cards market is selling.

Cheaper and easier to set-up the APN compare to other overseas cards.

Thanks for sharing.

From the Qoo10 source:

2GB = $14.90

3GB = $19.00

5GB = $24.00

After the quota will be data throttling, but should be able to use Whtsapp and check email, though watching youtube might be an issue.

For Starhub Prepaid:

http://www.starhub.com/personal/mobile/mobile-phones-plans/prepaid-cards/happy-roam.html

The rates are similar for data only plan without any credits for talking etc.

Overall the pricing are comparable lah. Never check the APN setting part as is quite standard, just need to know what APN name to enter.

Turbocharged

Thanks for sharing.

From the Qoo10 source:

2GB = $14.90

3GB = $19.00

5GB = $24.00

After the quota will be data throttling, but should be able to use Whtsapp and check email, though watching youtube might be an issue.

For Starhub Prepaid:

http://www.starhub.com/personal/mobile/mobile-phones-plans/prepaid-cards/happy-roam.html

The rates are similar for data only plan without any credits for talking etc.

Overall the pricing are comparable lah. Never check the APN setting part as is quite standard, just need to know what APN name to enter.

U haven't add in the courier fee and in case the overseas prepaid card cannot be use. That will cause a lot of problem.

I sell overseas data card for two years.

So I knew all these details very well.

• Praise 2

For foodies:

1) Ichiran Ramen at Dotomburi is simply the best ramen I had. The broth is superb and there is a small side dish with pork that's very appetizing; 

eeeeeeeech

(edited)

eeeeeeeech

+1 , my post in Oct 16 -->

The famous Ichiran ramen, they only serve 1 type of ramen. After eating I felt "sick". too rich and salty for me. Jelak. Funny thing is the Japanese do not seem to know of this famous shop. Whole time I was there 9am (they open 24hrs) almost half were tourists

Edited by Othello

Turbocharged

Hotel booked. Now left to settle is change money, get roaming data plan and then wait for the month of May to come.

each time visit Japan, I will get a portable wifi from Changi recommends. unlimited at $5/day. good coverage too. can get wifi in bullet train and at the ski resorts

https://www.changirecommends.com/owifi.aspx

if u are travelling for a week, can consider getting the japan rail pass locally. worth it if you plan to take the bullet trains to different cities

• Praise 1

How's the battery life of the device? Charge by using USB cable? Read about the unlimited data is not really unlimited. Is that true?

each time visit Japan, I will get a portable wifi from Changi recommends. unlimited at $5/day. good coverage too. can get wifi in bullet train and at the ski resorts

if u are travelling for a week, can consider getting the japan rail pass locally. worth it if you plan to take the bullet trains to different cities

People go Japan need internet access 24/7?

To surf MCF right?

Can only get the best advice here  [thumbsup]  

:D

How's the battery life of the device? Charge by using USB cable? Read about the unlimited data is not really unlimited. Is that true?

hi. usually can last one day. Charge every night. charging cable included.

i have used it on two trips. so far truly unlimited. I let my kids watch youtube on separate devices while queuing at US osaka and disneyland. 

• Praise 1

hi. usually can last one day. Charge every night. charging cable included.

i have used it on two trips. so far truly unlimited. I let my kids watch youtube on separate devices while queuing at US osaka and disneyland.

Cool thanks.

People go Japan need internet access 24/7?

To surf MCF right?

Can only get the best advice here [thumbsup]

:D

Surf the net while queuing for rides in Universal studio and also while the Mrs shops in LV and Chanel.
  • Praise 2

Just reserved one as now have a promo.

post-3626-0-66003600-1520221869_thumb.png

• Praise 1