Magnifying glass
  • Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
68 replies to this topic | 15 praises

Posted 11 June 2008 - 10:37 PM

Kelpie
  • Kelpie
    NOS-ed
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

1. I'm new to Triathlon and I have some questions.

2. The 1st event is swimming at the sea. It seems like must swim suit and a swim cap. Wonder what short of swim to get?? As I only know what is a swimming trunk laugh.gif. I assume the organizer will help to look after the bicycle and my belongings during the swim.

3. After swim, how to change out the swim suit and trunk unsure.gif? Do they have a toilet to put on t-shirt, short, running shoes and helmet for the next cycling event? when I start to cycle, who take cares of my swim suit, trunk and etc unimpressed.gif?

4. After the cycling, where to park the bicycle? again, who takes care of the bicycle and my helmet? Anyone know what is drafting? What is a race belt and a race bib?

5. If during the running event, want to go pee, can go visit toilet?

Hope the experts out there can give me advice.

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Edited by Kelpie, 11 June 2008 - 10:38 PM.

Disclaimer:
The above comments are solely my perspectives. You may disagree with it for I shall not be liable for whatever I may have input. You may feel displeased which in this case, my sincere apologies and do kindly seek moderator's advice if need be. Any obscene & threatening comments on me is a reflection of your personality. My motto is we agree to disagree. No profanity or obscenities of any kind. No personal attacks on other users. Thank you.

Posted 11 June 2008 - 11:11 PM

Watwheels
  • Premium member
    Watwheels
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

I'm no expert lah but I like watching it on TV.

Guys usually wear a suit some with sleeve, some without, depending on weather. The idea of a suit is to keep your body warmed up.

Every participant has a designated number, u can see them use those markers marked number on their arms. After swim, they run to the bicycle rack where they look for their numbers. Put on cycling shoes and off they go. They wear their suits throughout the whole event.

When they reach their running event, again look for bicycle rack with their number. They usually cycle one long loop and go back where the bike racks are. Change to running shoes and off they go.

All the swimming, cycling and running start and stop at the same location, all go one big round to the same place. I dun ever see anyone change to t-shirt or running shorts or go toilet cos not enough water to hydrate the body, only see them drink lots of water.
The chosen one will bring balance to the Force...I mean Singapore. Even star wars do not reserve "the chosen one" to a sith lord or a jedi or a wookie.

Posted 11 June 2008 - 11:16 PM

Qpik
  • Premium member
    Qpik
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Bro, please check out the following link to get a general idea of your attire:-

http://www.sportz.com.sg/camps-fit.htm
It is difficult to make a Man understand anything especially when his salary expect him not to understand anything.

Posted 11 June 2008 - 11:25 PM

Tunge
  • Premium member
    Tunge
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Let me try answering u from the little experience i have

2. The 1st event is swimming at the sea. It seems like must swim suit and a swim cap. Wonder what short of swim to get?? As I only know what is a swimming trunk . I assume the organizer will help to look after the bicycle and my belongings during the swim. - there are suites specially for triathlons which u can swim, bike run in, some people prefer to run in their trunks, but u can put on a t-shirt after the swim or a pair of running shorts over the trunks

3. After swim, how to change out the swim suit and trunk ? Do they have a toilet to put on t-shirt, short, running shoes and helmet for the next cycling event? when I start to cycle, who take cares of my swim suit, trunk and etc ? after the swim u enter into a transit area where ur bike would be parked neatly with ur assigned lot. u would also have left a pair of shoes/socks, and change of clothes at ur allocated spot, no changing room, just put on ur shoes and whatever u intend to wear for the bike n run

4. After the cycling, where to park the bicycle? again, who takes care of the bicycle and my helmet? Anyone know what is drafting? What is a race belt and a race bib? after the bike, u park ur bike at the allocated area and proceed for the run, it's a area marked out for competitors. race belt and race bib, they'll issue u yah? it's ur race tag basically, need to wear during bike n run, they'll also marker ur arms n legs w ur number. drafting, me not sure

5. If during the running event, want to go pee, can go visit toilet? eh u r guy yah, just run to the side where there are bushes n get it over n done w, will see many people doing so, but the best is to settle b4 the race or during the swim bike n running time don't think u'll feel urgent liao
[/color]
[color="#bf0000"]

by the way, i'm no triathlete but my ex was, so i know a bit lah...

Posted 11 June 2008 - 11:47 PM

Davidtch
  • Premium member
    Davidtch
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I presume u r participating in Osim Tri. B4 d race, put all d belonging in transition area. In transition area, ur allocated spot will b according race no. Hang ur bike using ur saddle on d number itself. D area is allocated veri small. Juz d size of 2 bike. Bring along some newspaper. D field mayb wet. 4 entry into transition area, u need security tag.

4 attire, don't wear some much things lah. If u not wearing trisuit, juz wear swim trunk 4 swim leg. No need cap. After swim leg, juz wear bike short outside swim trunk. 4 top, i would suggest sleeveless tri top. When u feel hot, u could zip down.

I participated in mini category LY using Strida. Completed within 1 hr. Not participating tis year. No time 2 train swim leg. I juz completed full duathlon LW.

Good luck!!

Edited by Davidtch, 11 June 2008 - 11:48 PM.

Posted 12 June 2008 - 11:05 AM

Destiny03
  • Destiny03
    4th Gear
    Author Image

taking about trialathon

any athletic here uses Heart rate monitor.

any recommendation
Refer to signature guidelines

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:02 AM

Babyt
  • Babyt
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

i want to take up the Sprint category next yr.

is there any special preparation to make? i exercise regularly....jogging/swim/cycling so i have built some foundation already.

for bicycle, i intend to go for a hybrid. what do u think?

is there a time limit to finish off eveything? if i do it leisurely, is it ok? i see many guys swim using freestyle, i think its strenous...can use breaststroke?

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:15 AM

Hondacub777
  • Hondacub777
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

i want to take up the Sprint category next yr.

is there any special preparation to make? i exercise regularly....jogging/swim/cycling so i have built some foundation already.

for bicycle, i intend to go for a hybrid. what do u think?

is there a time limit to finish off eveything? if i do it leisurely, is it ok? i see many guys swim using freestyle, i think its strenous...can use breaststroke?

Breaststroke can but it will be way too slow.freestyle or front crawl is the fastest stroke though it might be tougher for some swimmers.

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:43 AM

Canarywharfgooner
  • Canarywharfgooner
    1st Gear
    Author Image

Breaststroke can but it will be way too slow.freestyle or front crawl is the fastest stroke though it might be tougher for some swimmers.

Not really - if you are a strong breaststroke swimmer, you might end up faster than using freestyle if you are uncomfortable with the latter. The reason for the using front crawl is more for efficiency since the two next legs of the triathlon (bike+run) would demand a lot from the legs.

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:57 AM

Hondacub777
  • Hondacub777
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Not really - if you are a strong breaststroke swimmer, you might end up faster than using freestyle if you are uncomfortable with the latter. The reason for the using front crawl is more for efficiency since the two next legs of the triathlon (bike+run) would demand a lot from the legs.

Yes, if the person is just only trying to complete the whole thing without timings on his mind.If he's really trying to be competitive,breaststroke will be way to slow to compete.(Base on strokes recommended)

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:57 AM

Philipkee
  • Philipkee
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

2. The 1st event is swimming at the sea. It seems like must swim suit and a swim cap. Wonder what short of swim to get?? As I only know what is a swimming trunk laugh.gif. I assume the organizer will help to look after the bicycle and my belongings during the swim.

3. After swim, how to change out the swim suit and trunk unsure.gif? Do they have a toilet to put on t-shirt, short, running shoes and helmet for the next cycling event? when I start to cycle, who take cares of my swim suit, trunk and etc unimpressed.gif?

4. After the cycling, where to park the bicycle? again, who takes care of the bicycle and my helmet? Anyone know what is drafting?

Drafting basically means u stay behind ur competitor so that you face less resistance since ur competitor is in front. Some places dun encourage drafting as u must be very close behind to enjoy this advantage and this can lead to accident

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:11 AM

Porker
  • Porker
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Are you sure that's the official reason for using front crawl??

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:14 AM

Babyt
  • Babyt
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

i see female tri using breaststroke while the men use freestyle...i hate freestyle cos cant breathe easily w water drippin to my nose or mouth...unless i do it slowly...but i think the waves may just make it harder to breathe, not sure anyway.

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:16 AM

Porker
  • Porker
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

i see female tri using breaststroke while the men use freestyle...i hate freestyle cos cant breathe easily w water drippin to my nose or mouth...unless i do it slowly...but i think the waves may just make it harder to breathe, not sure anyway.

Begs the question: Are you male or female? This coming from the thread on bags where you said you have tote bags

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:19 AM

Hamburger
  • Premium member
    Hamburger
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Front crawl gets to swim last.......lane hogging laugh.gif
do to others what you want others to do to you......

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:24 AM

Babyt
  • Babyt
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

im a MALE.

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:17 AM

Dudz
  • Dudz
    1st Gear
    Author Image

Yes. Front crawl is more efficient in open sea swimming. and u saved the legs for the other 2 segments later. btw in triathlon drafting is not allow unlike in cycling. Do take note on that. Thats the reason people used Tri-bike for this purpose to reduce the drag.

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:39 AM

Babyt
  • Babyt
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

by the way, first timer needs to do Swim Trial.

may I know if after each lap, can I stand up and turn my body to swim the next lap? cos I dunno how to do somersault n kick the walls to swim the next lap.

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:34 AM

Hondacub777
  • Hondacub777
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

by the way, first timer needs to do Swim Trial.

may I know if after each lap, can I stand up and turn my body to swim the next lap? cos I dunno how to do somersault n kick the walls to swim the next lap.

I think shld be ok.Coz u don't need to do a somersault turn in the open water.
The swim trial is just a gauge to see ur confidence in the water and there might be also a safety briefing or intro of the open water swimming to first timers.

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:55 AM

Karoon
  • Premium member
    Karoon
    Supercharged
    Author Image

Let me try answering u from the little experience i have

2. The 1st event is swimming at the sea. It seems like must swim suit and a swim cap. Wonder what short of swim to get?? As I only know what is a swimming trunk . I assume the organizer will help to look after the bicycle and my belongings during the swim. - there are suites specially for triathlons which u can swim, bike run in, some people prefer to run in their trunks, but u can put on a t-shirt after the swim or a pair of running shorts over the trunks

3. After swim, how to change out the swim suit and trunk ? Do they have a toilet to put on t-shirt, short, running shoes and helmet for the next cycling event? when I start to cycle, who take cares of my swim suit, trunk and etc ? after the swim u enter into a transit area where ur bike would be parked neatly with ur assigned lot. u would also have left a pair of shoes/socks, and change of clothes at ur allocated spot, no changing room, just put on ur shoes and whatever u intend to wear for the bike n run

4. After the cycling, where to park the bicycle? again, who takes care of the bicycle and my helmet? Anyone know what is drafting? What is a race belt and a race bib? after the bike, u park ur bike at the allocated area and proceed for the run, it's a area marked out for competitors. race belt and race bib, they'll issue u yah? it's ur race tag basically, need to wear during bike n run, they'll also marker ur arms n legs w ur number. drafting, me not sure

5. If during the running event, want to go pee, can go visit toilet? eh u r guy yah, just run to the side where there are bushes n get it over n done w, will see many people doing so, but the best is to settle b4 the race or during the swim bike n running time don't think u'll feel urgent liao

by the way, i'm no triathlete but my ex was, so i know a bit lah...

just to add i just took part in the metasprint triathlon yesterday in changi... my first ever :)

the swim was not easy because i was in the middle of a group and i got kicked left right centre. the fastest fellas who are at the front did it at around 12mins for 750mins.
in a pool that's about 50s/50m, over 15 laps. i realise the kick from a breastroker is far more painful than a frontcrawler. No swim trials needed. If you sign up they assume you can swim.

after swim, run to transition area where your bike is parked beforehand (one hour before your race). This is a secure area. No wrist strap, no entry. Change at your bike, no changing rooms.So most will wear the same swim tights and just put on singlet with bibs already pinned. Its tough because drafting is not allowed. Marshalls are on motorbikes and shout if they see you drafting, and you get a 2mins penalty. Do get a proper road bike (an entry level one will do). Some think 'oh i just wanna try and see' and then rent the bikes provided by organisers. These are bangla class mtbs. Its heavy, slow and energy sapping. You will get demoralised seeing road bikes whizz past you.

then park bike at same earlier transition area, change shoes then run. This is the toughest for most. Your legs are wobbly/crampy even before the run. The fact that the run part started at midday for most saw many drop out midway. i think peeing is the least of your concern here. Your main worry is to get enough water in.

here's the timings for yesterday's race, for your reference :)
seems like its an angmo dominated sport here.

this is for 750m swim, 20km bike and 5km run
metasprint results

Back to Lite & EZ  ·  Non-Car Related Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users