Questions on TRIATHLON???

Kelpie

(edited)

1. I'm new to Triathlon and I have some questions.

2. The 1st event is swimming at the sea. It seems like must swim suit and a swim cap. Wonder what short of swim to get?? As I only know what is a swimming trunk [laugh]. I assume the organizer will help to look after the bicycle and my belongings during the swim.

3. After swim, how to change out the swim suit and trunk [:/]? Do they have a toilet to put on t-shirt, short, running shoes and helmet for the next cycling event? when I start to cycle, who take cares of my swim suit, trunk and etc [:|]?

4. After the cycling, where to park the bicycle? again, who takes care of the bicycle and my helmet? Anyone know what is drafting? What is a race belt and a race bib?

5. If during the running event, want to go pee, can go visit toilet?

Hope the experts out there can give me advice.

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Edited by Kelpie
↡ Advertisement

I'm no expert lah but I like watching it on TV.

Guys usually wear a suit some with sleeve, some without, depending on weather. The idea of a suit is to keep your body warmed up.

Every participant has a designated number, u can see them use those markers marked number on their arms. After swim, they run to the bicycle rack where they look for their numbers. Put on cycling shoes and off they go. They wear their suits throughout the whole event.

When they reach their running event, again look for bicycle rack with their number. They usually cycle one long loop and go back where the bike racks are. Change to running shoes and off they go.

All the swimming, cycling and running start and stop at the same location, all go one big round to the same place. I dun ever see anyone change to t-shirt or running shorts or go toilet cos not enough water to hydrate the body, only see them drink lots of water.

Let me try answering u from the little experience i have

2. The 1st event is swimming at the sea. It seems like must swim suit and a swim cap. Wonder what short of swim to get?? As I only know what is a swimming trunk laugh.gif. I assume the organizer will help to look after the bicycle and my belongings during the swim. - there are suites specially for triathlons which u can swim, bike run in, some people prefer to run in their trunks, but u can put on a t-shirt after the swim or a pair of running shorts over the trunks

3. After swim, how to change out the swim suit and trunk unsure.gif? Do they have a toilet to put on t-shirt, short, running shoes and helmet for the next cycling event? when I start to cycle, who take cares of my swim suit, trunk and etc unimpressed.gif? after the swim u enter into a transit area where ur bike would be parked neatly with ur assigned lot. u would also have left a pair of shoes/socks, and change of clothes at ur allocated spot, no changing room, just put on ur shoes and whatever u intend to wear for the bike n run

4. After the cycling, where to park the bicycle? again, who takes care of the bicycle and my helmet? Anyone know what is drafting? What is a race belt and a race bib? after the bike, u park ur bike at the allocated area and proceed for the run, it's a area marked out for competitors. race belt and race bib, they'll issue u yah? it's ur race tag basically, need to wear during bike n run, they'll also marker ur arms n legs w ur number. drafting, me not sure

5. If during the running event, want to go pee, can go visit toilet? eh u r guy yah, just run to the side where there are bushes n get it over n done w, will see many people doing so, but the best is to settle b4 the race or during the swim sly.gif bike n running time don't think u'll feel urgent liao

[/color]

by the way, i'm no triathlete but my ex was, so i know a bit lah...

(edited)

I presume u r participating in Osim Tri. B4 d race, put all d belonging in transition area. In transition area, ur allocated spot will b according race no. Hang ur bike using ur saddle on d number itself. D area is allocated veri small. Juz d size of 2 bike. Bring along some newspaper. D field mayb wet. 4 entry into transition area, u need security tag.

4 attire, don't wear some much things lah. If u not wearing trisuit, juz wear swim trunk 4 swim leg. No need cap. After swim leg, juz wear bike short outside swim trunk. 4 top, i would suggest sleeveless tri top. When u feel hot, u could zip down.

I participated in mini category LY using Strida. Completed within 1 hr. Not participating tis year. No time 2 train swim leg. I juz completed full duathlon LW.

Good luck!!

Edited by Davidtch

i want to take up the Sprint category next yr.

is there any special preparation to make? i exercise regularly....jogging/swim/cycling so i have built some foundation already.

for bicycle, i intend to go for a hybrid. what do u think?

is there a time limit to finish off eveything? if i do it leisurely, is it ok? i see many guys swim using freestyle, i think its strenous...can use breaststroke?

i want to take up the Sprint category next yr.

is there any special preparation to make? i exercise regularly....jogging/swim/cycling so i have built some foundation already.

for bicycle, i intend to go for a hybrid. what do u think?

is there a time limit to finish off eveything? if i do it leisurely, is it ok? i see many guys swim using freestyle, i think its strenous...can use breaststroke?

Breaststroke can but it will be way too slow.freestyle or front crawl is the fastest stroke though it might be tougher for some swimmers.

Breaststroke can but it will be way too slow.freestyle or front crawl is the fastest stroke though it might be tougher for some swimmers.

Not really - if you are a strong breaststroke swimmer, you might end up faster than using freestyle if you are uncomfortable with the latter. The reason for the using front crawl is more for efficiency since the two next legs of the triathlon (bike+run) would demand a lot from the legs.

Not really - if you are a strong breaststroke swimmer, you might end up faster than using freestyle if you are uncomfortable with the latter. The reason for the using front crawl is more for efficiency since the two next legs of the triathlon (bike+run) would demand a lot from the legs.

Yes, if the person is just only trying to complete the whole thing without timings on his mind.If he's really trying to be competitive,breaststroke will be way to slow to compete.(Base on strokes recommended)

2. The 1st event is swimming at the sea. It seems like must swim suit and a swim cap. Wonder what short of swim to get?? As I only know what is a swimming trunk [laugh]. I assume the organizer will help to look after the bicycle and my belongings during the swim.

3. After swim, how to change out the swim suit and trunk [:/]? Do they have a toilet to put on t-shirt, short, running shoes and helmet for the next cycling event? when I start to cycle, who take cares of my swim suit, trunk and etc [:|]?

4. After the cycling, where to park the bicycle? again, who takes care of the bicycle and my helmet? Anyone know what is drafting?

Drafting basically means u stay behind ur competitor so that you face less resistance since ur competitor is in front. Some places dun encourage drafting as u must be very close behind to enjoy this advantage and this can lead to accident

Are you sure that's the official reason for using front crawl??

i see female tri using breaststroke while the men use freestyle...i hate freestyle cos cant breathe easily w water drippin to my nose or mouth...unless i do it slowly...but i think the waves may just make it harder to breathe, not sure anyway.

i see female tri using breaststroke while the men use freestyle...i hate freestyle cos cant breathe easily w water drippin to my nose or mouth...unless i do it slowly...but i think the waves may just make it harder to breathe, not sure anyway.

Begs the question: Are you male or female? This coming from the thread on bags where you said you have tote bags

Neutral Newbie

Are you sure that's the official reason for using front crawl??

Yes. Front crawl is more efficient in open sea swimming. and u saved the legs for the other 2 segments later. btw in triathlon drafting is not allow unlike in cycling. Do take note on that. Thats the reason people used Tri-bike for this purpose to reduce the drag.

by the way, first timer needs to do Swim Trial.

may I know if after each lap, can I stand up and turn my body to swim the next lap? cos I dunno how to do somersault n kick the walls to swim the next lap.

↡ Advertisement