Questions on TRIATHLON???

Kelpie

by the way, first timer needs to do Swim Trial.

may I know if after each lap, can I stand up and turn my body to swim the next lap? cos I dunno how to do somersault n kick the walls to swim the next lap.

I think shld be ok.Coz u don't need to do a somersault turn in the open water.

The swim trial is just a gauge to see ur confidence in the water and there might be also a safety briefing or intro of the open water swimming to first timers.

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

Let me try answering u from the little experience i have

1. I'm new to Triathlon and I have some questions.

2. The 1st event is swimming at the sea. It seems like must swim suit and a swim cap. Wonder what short of swim to get?? As I only know what is a swimming trunk . I assume the organizer will help to look after the bicycle and my belongings during the swim. - there are suites specially for triathlons which u can swim, bike run in, some people prefer to run in their trunks, but u can put on a t-shirt after the swim or a pair of running shorts over the trunks

3. After swim, how to change out the swim suit and trunk ? Do they have a toilet to put on t-shirt, short, running shoes and helmet for the next cycling event? when I start to cycle, who take cares of my swim suit, trunk and etc ? after the swim u enter into a transit area where ur bike would be parked neatly with ur assigned lot. u would also have left a pair of shoes/socks, and change of clothes at ur allocated spot, no changing room, just put on ur shoes and whatever u intend to wear for the bike n run

4. After the cycling, where to park the bicycle? again, who takes care of the bicycle and my helmet? Anyone know what is drafting? What is a race belt and a race bib? after the bike, u park ur bike at the allocated area and proceed for the run, it's a area marked out for competitors. race belt and race bib, they'll issue u yah? it's ur race tag basically, need to wear during bike n run, they'll also marker ur arms n legs w ur number. drafting, me not sure

5. If during the running event, want to go pee, can go visit toilet? eh u r guy yah, just run to the side where there are bushes n get it over n done w, will see many people doing so, but the best is to settle b4 the race or during the swim bike n running time don't think u'll feel urgent liao

by the way, i'm no triathlete but my ex was, so i know a bit lah...

just to add i just took part in the metasprint triathlon yesterday in changi... my first ever :)

the swim was not easy because i was in the middle of a group and i got kicked left right centre. the fastest fellas who are at the front did it at around 12mins for 750mins.

in a pool that's about 50s/50m, over 15 laps. i realise the kick from a breastroker is far more painful than a frontcrawler. No swim trials needed. If you sign up they assume you can swim.

after swim, run to transition area where your bike is parked beforehand (one hour before your race). This is a secure area. No wrist strap, no entry. Change at your bike, no changing rooms.So most will wear the same swim tights and just put on singlet with bibs already pinned. Its tough because drafting is not allowed. Marshalls are on motorbikes and shout if they see you drafting, and you get a 2mins penalty. Do get a proper road bike (an entry level one will do). Some think 'oh i just wanna try and see' and then rent the bikes provided by organisers. These are bangla class mtbs. Its heavy, slow and energy sapping. You will get demoralised seeing road bikes whizz past you.

then park bike at same earlier transition area, change shoes then run. This is the toughest for most. Your legs are wobbly/crampy even before the run. The fact that the run part started at midday for most saw many drop out midway. i think peeing is the least of your concern here. Your main worry is to get enough water in.

here's the timings for yesterday's race, for your reference :)

seems like its an angmo dominated sport here.

this is for 750m swim, 20km bike and 5km run

metasprint results

Sprint distances are fast and furious events.. It'd good for beginner but don't get demoralized being passed by stronger competitors.. Just tryto to finish within cutoff time..

Tri or any endurance race/event is not a glamorous event.. Don't worry about not showering after the swim or changing running singlets after the bike leg.. Just get proper.. Say again proper attire that you can use from swim leg until run leg.. The most important is to finish each leg within required time..

Just train and enjoy and finish the race.. Don't worry about the cosmetic stuff.. Remember the race doesn't start at the event day, it starts during training so during training you know all the answers to your question before the race day itself..

And by the way, smile and finish strong at the finish.. Its all worth it..

Bro, get full 2XU full tri-suit.

You don't have to change anything. You run/swim/bike in the suit. The suit is designed for swimming, running and biking. Don't waste time putting on your tees because nobody do that.

It's time consuming plus it will be extremely hot.

There is a holding area where you park all your personal belongs.

Edited by Versatile

i want to take up the Sprint category next yr.

is there any special preparation to make? i exercise regularly....jogging/swim/cycling so i have built some foundation already.

for bicycle, i intend to go for a hybrid. what do u think?

is there a time limit to finish off eveything? if i do it leisurely, is it ok? i see many guys swim using freestyle, i think its strenous...can use breaststroke?

I'm going for the full this Aug, I will be using a Fixie bike, so I think hybrid is alright, your aim is to hit 35 to 40kph, remember cadence is the main point.

I'm currently working on my swimming, I intend to get a coach soon for my front crawl, it's the most relax stroke if done correctly. I have tried doing breaststroke for 300m, and took around 8 mins. Way to slow! The aim is 500m in 10 mins. Professional do 500m 8 mins.

Maybe you can do a search for 2012 olympic under sun yang, look at his front crawl, basically his leg is not even fluttering, it's all upper body which save your lower body for cycle and run.

I know replying you now is still not too late because the Trifactor is coming and it should be the one u aiming based on the post dated last year.

just to add i just took part in the metasprint triathlon yesterday in changi... my first ever :)

the swim was not easy because i was in the middle of a group and i got kicked left right centre. the fastest fellas who are at the front did it at around 12mins for 750mins.

in a pool that's about 50s/50m, over 15 laps. i realise the kick from a breastroker is far more painful than a frontcrawler. No swim trials needed. If you sign up they assume you can swim.

after swim, run to transition area where your bike is parked beforehand (one hour before your race). This is a secure area. No wrist strap, no entry. Change at your bike, no changing rooms.So most will wear the same swim tights and just put on singlet with bibs already pinned. Its tough because drafting is not allowed. Marshalls are on motorbikes and shout if they see you drafting, and you get a 2mins penalty. Do get a proper road bike (an entry level one will do). Some think 'oh i just wanna try and see' and then rent the bikes provided by organisers. These are bangla class mtbs. Its heavy, slow and energy sapping. You will get demoralised seeing road bikes whizz past you.

then park bike at same earlier transition area, change shoes then run. This is the toughest for most. Your legs are wobbly/crampy even before the run. The fact that the run part started at midday for most saw many drop out midway. i think peeing is the least of your concern here. Your main worry is to get enough water in.

here's the timings for yesterday's race, for your reference :)

seems like its an angmo dominated sport here.

this is for 750m swim, 20km bike and 5km run

metasprint results

The metasprint still on in Singapore? Doing it again?

ot but anyone going for ocbc cycling event this wkend?

I joined since year 1 doing Challenge. Skip it this year.

I will be doing Ultimate Folding Challenge this yr.

For beginner to Tri, maybe should try out Mini Tri in Singapore International Triathlon 2013. It is only 200m Swim, 10km Ride & 2km Run. I did it years ago on Strida.

I'm going for the full this Aug, I will be using a Fixie bike, so I think hybrid is alright, your aim is to hit 35 to 40kph, remember cadence is the main point.

I'm currently working on my swimming, I intend to get a coach soon for my front crawl, it's the most relax stroke if done correctly. I have tried doing breaststroke for 300m, and took around 8 mins. Way to slow! The aim is 500m in 10 mins. Professional do 500m 8 mins.

Maybe you can do a search for 2012 olympic under sun yang, look at his front crawl, basically his leg is not even fluttering, it's all upper body which save your lower body for cycle and run.

I know replying you now is still not too late because the Trifactor is coming and it should be the one u aiming based on the post dated last year.

wah 35-40kmh on a racer is already hard enough, i cant imagine a fixie or hybrid siol. also open water is way harder than pool

I joined since year 1 doing Challenge. Skip it this year.

I will be doing Ultimate Folding Challenge this yr.

im doing challenge on my foldie!

wah 35-40kmh on a racer is already hard enough, i cant imagine a fixie or hybrid siol. also open water is way harder than pool

35 achievable lah, 40 is consider very fast pace for most.

35 achievable lah, 40 is consider very fast pace for most.

hmm u must b dam fit then. im a weekend warrior n can follow someone at abt 40, but to do 40 myself w no draft either the road is totally flat n something wrong w me that day hahahah even national level riders dont avg 40 for most rides lol i believe

Edited by Duckduck

hmm u must b dam fit then. im a weekend warrior n can follow someone at abt 40, but to do 40 myself w no draft either the road is totally flat n something wrong w me that day hahahah even national level riders dont avg 40 for most rides lol i believe

=X

Maybe I put it in a wrong way, I only manage 35 on Fixie OTR, trying to achieve 40 right now. Have been on my trainer daily now.

Actually if you have a aim, the push for speed is really high.

Turbocharged

The metasprint still on in Singapore? Doing it again?

yup its still on. from reviews seem to be one of the better organised ones here.

but i dunno... no reference to other events :)

also, if you're a beginner to freestyle preparing for tri swims, the right answer is here.

www.totalimmersion.net

the books and cds are in NLB libraries. took me about a month to do it properly, but now i enjoy the swim leg rather than fear it.

Edited by Karoon

yup its still on. from reviews seem to be one of the better organised ones here.

but i dunno... no reference to other events :)

also, if you're a beginner to freestyle preparing for tri swims, the right answer is here.

www.totalimmersion.net

the books and cds are in NLB libraries. took me about a month to do it properly, but now i enjoy the swim leg rather than fear it.

The problem with me is I'm not used to crowded pools, I guess I will practice hard on my front crawl this ICT. Will got for the meta as well =)

↡ Advertisement