COMFY over CHEAP

Ccssgm

TAKING taxis to work became too expensive for this Shenton Way executive.

Fed-up with the taxi fare hikes last December, IT consultant B K Lim did his sums and decided to buy a car.

It turned out to be a cheaper alternative, although his happiness was short-lived

With the latest round of Electronic Road Pricing (ERP) increases, it is now going to cost more for this 33-year-old who drives to work.

The Land Transport Authority (LTA) unveiled five new gantries along the Singapore River line, bringing the total number of gantries to 65 on Monday. (See map above.)

Some 32 gantries in the Central Business District, including those around Orchard Road, will also have their charges increased by between 50 cents and $2 from 7 Jul.

The rates are being revised mostly during the evening time slots because speeds have fallen steadily during the home-rush hours, LTA said.

But Mr Lim is quite adamant about sticking to his car.

This is despite have to pay about $1to $2 more for driving home on the Fullerton Road stretch, where a new gantry has been set up.

Mr Lim said: 'Taking taxis is expensive, plus I've already paid so much for the car. I will not give it up simply because of a $1, $2 increase.'

Mr Lim, who is married, paid about $43,000 for a three-year-old Honda Civic two months ago.

He used to take taxis to and from work from his Pasir Ris condo to Shenton Way. The trips would cost him just under $50 a day.

But after December's taxi fare hike, he said his fare increased to about $30 each trip, or about $60 a day.

DOING THE SUMS

'I did my calculations and realised that it was more economical to buy a car instead of taking taxis every day.'

The New Paper did a quick calculation for Mr Lim and the findings show that the yearly cost of maintaining a car is less than taking taxis to work every day.

It is even cheaper if he uses the Park& Ride Scheme, which allows motorists to park their vehicles near a bus interchange or MRT station before continuing the journey by bus or train.

During the ERP briefing, LTA's CEO Yam Ah Mee said: 'With higher fuel prices, we hope that people will switch to not just public transport but also to taxis as well because they're more convenient...'

But for the moment, it is hard to convince motorists such as Mr Lim.

He said: 'It's definitely more convenient for me to own a car because I am not exposed to the weather elements and I don't have to wait for a cab. The conveniences far outweigh taking taxis all the time.'

But if fuel prices keep creeping up, Mr Lim said he might take up the Park & Ride Scheme.

Former transport researcher Han Songguang said that it is hard for car-owners to give up their freedom even with rising ERP rates.

Mr Han said: 'They pay $40,000 for a car, a $2 ERP charge will not deter these people from using their car if they can afford it.'

But motorist Daniel Koh, 41, who drives to work in Shenton Way, is feeling the ERP pinch.

He said: 'The way ERP rates keep going up... the prospect of taking public transport is looking more attractive and economical.'

[thumbsup][idea]

↡ Advertisement

If U all the while driving Car will U take MRT ?

What's your cheapest option?

ASSUMING two trips a day and 20working days a month, we estimate the yearly transport costs for someone living in PasirRis and working in Shenton Way:

TAXI

Average fare (including ERP): $30

Yearly cost: $14,400

DRIVING OWN CAR

Car's depreciation: $4,500

Road tax: $800

ERP: $1,200 ($5 per day)

Insurance: $1,000

Maintenance: $500

Petrol: $2,000 (trips to and from work)

Parking in CBD: $3,360

($280 per month x 12 months)

Parking at condo: $600

($50 per month x 12months)

Yearly cost: $13,960

PARK & RIDE SCHEME

Car's depreciation: $4,500

Road tax: $800

Insurance: $1,000

Maintenance: $500

Petrol: $700 (based on 5km drive from home to Pasir Ris MRT station)

Parking near MRT station & taking train: estimated $1,440 ($3 per day parking and$3 for two-way train tickets between Pasir Ris MRT & Raffles Place MRT)

Parking at condo: $600

Yearly cost: $9,540

My trips on the train is akan datang...

Changing job so parking is freaking ex at the new work place... Boh hua so decided to take a train...

(edited)

It depends on personality. I used worked in KL & drive door 2 door. Now, either MRT or bicycle. Moreover, i live @ d edge of CBD. Anyway, mayb i m d rare breed.

I owns a ka but i drive after work or wkend. My wif drive it daily.

Edited by Davidtch

60 bucks a day just on taxi !!!!!!!!!!!

Thats almost a full tank top for my taxi in Jbee. [sweatdrop][sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

To and Fro [idea]

↡ Advertisement