Government doesn't make money from ERP

Ccssgm

The CashCard reader in labour chief Lim Swee Say's car beeps four to six times a day.

This is because he passes through that many Electronic Road Pricing (ERP) gantries along busy city roads to get to and from work.

He was driving home the point that ERP exists solely to control road congestion and not to enrich government coffers or raise the cost of living for Singaporeans.

Mr Lim was responding to a question at a dialogue on why the Government was raising ERP rates by as much as $2 and adding five new gantries from July 7 in a climate of rising inflation.

The new gantries along the banks of the Singapore River bring the total number of gantries islandwide to 65.

Mr Lim said Transport Minister Raymond Lim had told Parliament previously the Government does not make any money from the ERP increase.

The reason: It will collect $70 million a year from the ERP increase, but will lose $110 million due to the 15 per cent reduction in road tax from next month.

That is, in fact, a net loss of $40 million, he said.

So motorists who do not use congested roads will be 'net gainers', said Mr Lim, pointing to Ang Mo Kio GRC MP Inderjit Singh.

This is because Mr Singh, who shared the stage with Mr Lim at the dialogue with Sengkang West residents yesterday, works in Changi.

Mr Lim is not so lucky as he works in the NTUC Building at One Marina Boulevard.

Relating his driving experience to laughter from the audience, he said: 'Every morning when I come out of my house, it's one beep along Bukit Timah, then another beep entering Marina South. From July 7, I'll be getting another beep just along the road to my office.

'The amount I pay through all this beeping will be more than the road tax rebate I am getting. Why? Simply because I am one of those who always go to busy areas.'

Do U Agreed ? [idea]

↡ Advertisement

Brudder, his salary is over a million a year. Probably a few thousand worth of transport allowance each month. Talk cxxk sing song only lah..

And all these estimation of ERP charges vs road tax thingy.. i think our govt maths not so good since a deficit can become a SGD 6 Billion surplus...

(edited)

Lim Swee Say is Labour Chief, how he know wor. Go ask LTA, ask Raymond Lim. See got make or not. [furious] Moreover, 15% road tax is one time or one year only, not every year hor. ERP is every year one. Dun understand whether he got use his brain before commenting or not.

Edited by Jamstart

Neutral Newbie

Why not tell him we exchange our salary for 5 years...

And see will he KPKB...

For the petrol price and the rate of ERP wthat we normal citizeb are paying...

What a bxxxxxxt from another "local talent"....

Neutral Newbie

Mr Lim's transportation costs should be free! I thought all ministers level got transport allowance plus one Ahmad!

For his kind pay, beep how many times also doesn't matter. Must NTUC a cooperative need to be in a expensive central district?

Brudder, his salary is over a million a year. Probably a few thousand worth of transport allowance each month. Talk cxxk sing song only lah..

And all these estimation of ERP charges vs road tax thingy.. i think our govt maths not so good since a deficit can become a SGD 6 Billion surplus...

Talk Very Good is Theory

Wat we wan is Action that is Practical

Dun talk Rubbish [rolleyes]

Lim Swee Say is Labour Chief, how he know wor. Go ask LTA, ask Raymond Lim. See got make or not. [furious] Moreover, 15% road tax is one time or one year only, not every year hor. ERP is every year one. Dun understand whether he got use his brain before commenting or not.

[thumbsup][thumbsup]

ERP 70m... road tax deduce 110m... loss 40m

1st year loss 40m... but 2nd, 3rd ,4th and so on years big profit [idea]

Why not tell him we exchange our salary for 5 years...

And see will he KPKB...

For the petrol price and the rate of ERP wthat we normal citizeb are paying...

What a bxxxxxxt from another "local talent"....

Good idea I nsupport U [thumbsup]

↡ Advertisement