Temasek chief's speech an eye-opener

Davidklt

Neutral Newbie

Biodata of the writer, Low Thian Khye, from the Singapore Corporation of Rehabilitative Enterprises (SCORE) Annual Report:

Mr Andrew Low Thian Khye, PBM

Mr Low is the Group Personnel Manager of the Hong Leong Group (Singapore).

He is also the Chairman of SCORE

no this is not propaganda. this is call unkak bola or por lam pa laugh.gif

promotion on the way!!! or resume accepted and please come for interview laugh.gif

Wah lau.. [:p]

Temasek chief's speech an eye-opener

MS HO Ching's acceptance speech at the recent International Business Award Ceremony in Washington, which was reported last Friday, is quite an eye-opener ('Journey for Temasek has just begun: Ho Ching'').

Like quite a few other people, I tend to associate Temasek's performance more with its loss-making ventures.

I did not realise until now that, overall, it has done so well all these years.

The figures she disclosed are telling:

Since 1974, Temasek has grown its portfolio about 1,000 times from just over S$100 million at the start to more than US$100 billion (S$136 billion) today.

Its shareholder return is about 18 per cent compounded yearly since its founding in 1974.

Such laudable performance, coupled with its recent establishment of a community endowment fund for Singaporeans and Asians so as to 'remember the source when you drink the water', will help to clarify whatever misconceptions others, like me, might have had about Temasek which Ms Ho cutely re-termed a 'sovereign poverty fund'.

Ms Ho also came across as a gracious and humble person.

In her speech, there was no mention of her own role. Instead she attributed Temasek's achievements to her predecessors and the staff.

Very rarely does one hear of award recipients also crediting the humble tea ladies and secretaries for the success of their organisation.

Ms Ho more than deserves the prestigious International Business Award from the Asia Society.

Through this award, she has also done Singapore, which she referred as this 'small granite rock half way across the world from Washington', proud.

Low Thian Khye

Turbocharged

"Temasek has grown its portfolio about 1,000 times from just over S$100 million at the start to more than US$100 billion (S$136 billion) today."

--> the '000,000 to '000,000,000 from where one? accounts books not open for audit right? how does he know?

"Its shareholder return is about 18 per cent compounded yearly since its founding in 1974. "

--> i didn't know its listed? any shareholder here can share share whether this return is true? i wanna buy their share leh.. 18% sure beats the inflation. i dun need to change company every few years leow crazy.gif

i wonder, what is the criteria for getting the award.. sweatdrop.gif

shareholder???

who are it's shareholder? temasek is a gahment investment arm right? if it belongs to gahment, so it belongs to the people right??? WHERE'S MY SHARE!!!??