Trade-in, scrap or sell by own?

Theman

Turbocharged

You should get back the paper value (which is the PARF + balance of COE + balance of Road tax) and also any body value. Then depending on which AD you are dealing with there might "over trade" as well....

Didn't know road tax for rebated too...

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

For those who trade in your old ride to the AD for your new car, do you get back both the COE and the PARFrebate amount of your old car?  My AD seems to deduct only the PARF amount of my old car from my new car price, is this the norm?  

Thanks.

You should get back whatever was agreed upon with your salesperson. Your car might be worth 10k, but they could be taking it in for 15k. Or they could be taking it in for 7k, if you didn't do your sums right and signed on the dotted line.

There is no "norm", there is only what is written in your contract.

After that, remember to get your prorated refund from insurance too  [laugh]

• Praise 3

If yr car coe is going to expire, how much coe do you expect them to return?

For those who trade in your old ride to the AD for your new car, do you get back both the COE and the PARFrebate amount of your old car?  My AD seems to deduct only the PARF amount of my old car from my new car price, is this the norm?  

Thanks.

Provide if they are going to scrap your car on your behalf. If they are going to sell away by their own but not on yr behalf or scrap, unlikely to get road tax rebate

The least u gonna get back is your parf value and balance coe. And whichever price above your paper value which was agreed upon

Can try the other thread. Generally if u price alittle above paper there will be takers if conditions are good. Haha but there will be lowballers

What they told me was, 4K discount off the new car price if I trade in my old car.  My old car left few months before COE expire so it'll probably be scraped.  So, I assume I should get 4K plus the paper value (PARF and COE rebate) of my car right?  However, the agreement now they state only the 4K plus my PARF value deducted from new car price. It does not show the COE rebate of $400.  Which means, they will "eat" this $400 from me?  Probably they want to treat as commission for the 2nd hand car dealer that took my old car.

• Praise 1

What they told me was, 4K discount off the new car price if I trade in my old car.  My old car left few months before COE expire so it'll probably be scraped.  So, I assume I should get 4K plus the paper value (PARF and COE rebate) of my car right?  However, the agreement now they state only the 4K plus my PARF value deducted from new car price. It does not show the COE rebate of $400.  Which means, they will "eat" this $400 from me?  Probably they want to treat as commission for the 2nd hand car dealer that took my old car.

Eat your road tax & COE rebate & scrap body metal ($100 - 200). 

Twincharged

didn't you print out the amount you get back from LTA on a fixed date of deregistration? it should be at least this amount. any less you should tell the AD to go fly kite. I wouldn't buy. plenty of new cars to choose from out there.

Sorry, new at the whole trading in and scrapping, so just wanted to ask with regard to outstanding loan:

My car, a Kia Picanto, is left with around 6 months + left before COE expires. I'm thinking of getting another used car and am wondering if I should trade it in or scrap it. (The gearbox is almost giving out, I fear).

I've read this thread on trading in, but I'm unsure as to how it works if I still have an outstanding loan of about 7 months left? Do I have to settle the outstanding loan before trading in/scrapping?

Can I settle the outstanding loan before trading in, even if the dealer says he can settle the outstanding loan for me? Reason being I do not want to hand over my IC to the dealer (if there even is a need to). Will the trade in price be close to what I will get if I scrap the car (about $5k with COE rebate)? 

I'm alright with settling the outstanding loan because if I'm not wrong, it's only left with about $4k+, but I'm wondering if I need to settle any outstanding loans before I trade it in or scrap it.

With trade in, does that mean the dealer will deregister the car under my name and transfer it to his coy?

Thanks in advance guys! Really new at this as this is my first time, so all help is appreciated! :)

Also, just curious to know, if I settle my outstanding loan on the spot, that is, after getting in touch 

with the bank and paying an additional interest in lieu of the 30 days notice that you have to give to the bank for early settlement, does it affect my credit or my ability to get an approval for the other loan for the other second hand car I'm thinking of getting? :)

Hey, I suggest consigning your car at a car dealer and sell if off without the hassle!

Visit our Facebook Group for more info!

We are a bunch of car enthusiasts who came together to provide a one-stop solution for every car-related experience.

So we created CarTranzac! Share car-related news / questions / issues / experiences you’ve faced on our Facebook Group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/CarTranzac/) and we will do our best to provide assistance. Feel free to invite your friends into the group too!

Hi need advise.

A friend posted a question... if his Altis is around 4-5 years old... better to scrap and get new ride or trade-in?

In what situation is scrapping better than trade-in/sell in market??

Hi need advise.

A friend posted a question... if his Altis is around 4-5 years old... better to scrap and get new ride or trade-in?

In what situation is scrapping better than trade-in/sell in market??

if the actual depreciation value left is less than the selling price/trade in price, then definately, scrapping the car will be better. normally, it happens when the car has had a very high coe, but current coe prices are low enough.
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1