Do u use your own shopping bag?

Irene

Neutral Newbie

Currently every wednesday when i go giant to buy things, i need to pay for plastic bags. Have u started to BYOB?

↡ Advertisement

Nope, I buy groceries every alternate month only. And never go supermarket on wednesdays. [laugh] I need the plastic bags for my rubbish.

got 5 fabric bags in boot.. used for grocery shopping every week..

don't cost anything.. cos they came to me as a goodie bag, then after consuming the contents inside.. i re-use the bag.. [thumbsup][nod]

(edited)

I don't. I usually buy on weekends.

In any case, I don't see how (in singapore's context) not taking plastic bag will save the earth.

Unlike some larger countries which bury their household rubbish, ours are burned in the incinerator at very high temperature. In most case, most house hold will reuse it to hold their rubbish. So if people don't use supermarket plastic bag for their rubbish, what do they use to hold their rubbish? Dump straight in to the bin and use water to wash it every day (waste)? Buy rubbish bags?

I feel if they really want to save the earth, they should make stronger bags (so that they can hold more w/o breaking, thus making it re-usable)and bio-degradable bags.

Edited by Silver_blade

Turbocharged

yup..everytime i go to supermarket, sure bring my own bag..you can actually DIY those bags from 5kg rice bags..buy those rice bags with handle..then reuse as shopping bag..

i got enough plastic bag at home to last me for 2-3yrs as bin liners.. [sweatdrop]

Turbocharged

burning plastic at high temperature will release harmful poisons into our air dude..

Turbocharged

one thing about plastic bags... my family use them to put trash and to transport to the common chute (ever since that time our chutes have been 'relocated' from each individual flats).

so, without plastic bags, how you guys manage to collect the garbage.. especially irky, sticky stuffs?

Applies more for PVC, which releases Dioxin.

normal plastic bag is polyethylene, which in ideal case releases CO2 and water. of course produces other crap in real life but that's what the scrubbers are there for.

dun say PB, burn other things also release toxin. so how? [:/]

the best is dun produce babies. babies require much resources when they grow up to become like u and i [laugh][laugh][laugh]

until we get such technology like garbage disposal (grind up food wastes and dump into sewer, new set of problems here...), we need plastic bags. BYOB is rubbish and not gonna do very much.

what we shd do is do away with excessive packaging. but that's within the control of manufacturers rather than consumers. plastic bags for veggies is a small problem compared to the cardboard and plastic used to pack energizer AA batteries if u think about it. not to mention the batteries itself.

BYOB is just a senseless fad, which pple buy into to make them feel more environmentally conscious [rolleyes]. if i shop at companies which pull this kinda stunt (think ikea), LL lor.. [:p]

the plastic bags help to generate electricity also. in SG i feel our system is very efficient at garbage disposal (as much as i shoot the gahmen in many many matters).

we burn rubbish to reduce volume, and generate electricity from the burning as well. the emissions are pretty well-controlled by scrubbers etc etc. wanna talk air pollution? the 2 stroke bikes, poorly-maintained diesel engines, and the chemical industries in the west are the main issues here..

however, one kinda plastic bag i feel should be abolished is the mini plastic bag. that one cannot throw rubbish, so it's useless [laugh][laugh][laugh]

without plastic bags, u end up having to BUY the frigging bags. [shakehead]

back to square one [bigcry]

in fact sometimes when wifey n i dun shop for groceries much (eating out), our supply of bags dwindles alarmingly. i actually bought plastic bags to stand by for rubbish [:p]

Supercharged

on a serious note, can we sell our plastic bags?

my MIL hoard alot of paper bags, plastic bags n what not...

her house like fire hazzard...

thinkg whether this option is available to clear her many years collection.

Currently every wednesday when i go giant to buy things, i need to pay for plastic bags. Have u started to BYOB?

1. I usually go heavy grocery shopping monthly and each time easily 30-40 plastic bags. So how to bring my own bags? All plastic bags are "recycled" for rubbish dumping at home. Bing 30-40 bags, still have to clean and wash later, waste water and detergent.

2. I think the superkmarket should be more environmental conscious by using bio-degradable bags instead not to pass the burden back to the consumers like us.

Regards,

Turbocharged

ya.. i think its the new hdb's design which caused the huge dependency on plastic bags (for rubbish).

last time when each flat unit has its own chute, we just dumped everything down. dun need even one plastic bag. tongue.gif

ya.. i think its the new hdb's design which caused the huge dependency on plastic bags (for rubbish).

last time when each flat unit has its own chute, we just dumped everything down. dun need even one plastic bag.

That one, cleaniness issue leh. The newer flats have central rubbish disposal chute, so all must ta pao and throw hence the demand for plastic bags. Commerically available Plastic bags not cheap. Black thrash bag easily S$8 for 10 pieces. Smaller one I'm not sure how much. For normal citizens, how to tahan? machiam throw money each time you throw rubbish.

Regards,

↡ Advertisement