New SAF uniform No. 4

Sci10213

Waste money.

Best is to develop Predator phase camouflage. But then, if you follow the Ghost in A Shell series, you have to be naked to use it. laugh.gif

↡ Advertisement

singapore where got real forest and desert? shd have something like those grey ones for urban warfare.....

Many years ago, hear officer say for Sinkapor to fight, we need to fight outside our island.. We dun have forest but our surrounding have ma! [lipsrsealed][lipsrsealed]

Yeah only these stupid 3G generation soliders play too much FPS on the consoles want to dress like this. I go Jurong Island and see stupid fake police doing car check wearing sunglasses and gloves wtf? They are in the shade and not exposed to extreme weather, and not handling firearms why wear sunglasses and gloves? [laugh][blush]

Source: http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_263247.html

By Teh Joo Lin

THE Singapore Armed Forces is planning to replace its uniform with something which will make its soldiers harder to spot in the jungle.

Instead of the black, green and brown fatigues which soldiers here have been wearing for more than two decades, the new uniform is said to resemble what the United States Marine Corps uses now.

The uniform will adopt new technology which uses smaller pixels of colours to create a complex pattern.

This is in contrast to the present uniform which has larger splotches of colours.

The Defence Ministry issued a tender for the new uniforms in the middle of last month.

The latest design change will be the largest revision of its kind in 25 years for the SAF. The current military combat uniform - known among soldiers as the No. 4 uniform - was introduced in 1983. It features splotches of black, brown and green printed in an interlocking pattern, which helps the soldier blend into the foliage.

It replaced the earlier single-coloured Temasek Green uniform.

No official details about the new uniforms are available, but The Straits Times understands an announcement is expected next month.

However, the impending change has already fuelled discussion in online forums among servicemen. Some national servicemen (NSmen) had also been briefed on the new combat greens on their recent returns to camp.

Much of the talk has been speculation about how the new uniform looks, which other militaries have adopted the camouflage and where the ranks will appear on the new fatigues.

There are about 300,000 active and full-time national servicemen. All are expected to be issued the new uniforms.

The new look is also intended to be more functional than cosmetic.

The camouflage pattern is supposed to be harder to pick out in the jungle, based on how the human eye interacts with pixellated images.

Like the US Marine Corps, the Canadian military has a pixel pattern on its uniform.

When contacted, defence analyst Bernard Loo said he had seen the US Marine Corps in training with their pixellated uniform on the beach, 'and it works very well for them'.

Dr Loo said the new Singapore uniform was likely to have been put through its paces by the SAF.

'I assume they would have tested it against the likely area of operations and found the new camouflage pattern works better than the present one.'

Another change - the rank insignia on the new uniforms will be worn on the chest instead of on the shoulder epaulettes.

The new fatigues are likely to be introduced in phases, with soldiers in active units donning them first.

[email protected]

As long as you "pity" those SAF guys doing their Ops at key installations i'm fine; cos i was involved in such operations as a NSF; with Exxon Mobil refinery.

Those Aux Police can well... take a hike.

heard the news during my last ICT...

and i have only 2 more ICT to go.... [hur][sweatdrop][knife]

i dun even have ICT to begin with [bigcry]

SAF forgets about me... err... forgot, my pes is pes E (perm), though i can run, swim and piggyback people during FOCs and etc [lipsrsealed]

Pes E Fit for administrative duties only

Further subdivided into:

PES E1 Able to participate in simple observance parades and LIFE activities

PES E9 Unfit for any form of physical activities

PES E grading will be followed by the L-Code (Land Deployability Code) as follows:

L3 Fit for operational duties at Bases only. Not fit for field duties/exercises

L9 Suitable for peacetime sedentary duties at Bases. Not fit for operational duties even in Bases

LOOK like a soldier but can fight like a soldier or not? [:|]

sori...I served my time...the last thing I learnt is to fight a war. [thumbsdown]

I have learnt to fight a war .... that is ....

RULE 1 : must have ALOT ALOT of $$

RULE 2 : must be able to get back all the $$ that you spent for the war after you win

Aiya, wear this wear that, war is not a fashion parade, most important the soldier can fight or not?

agree [nod]

Dun understand what the top people are thinking abt.

We all look ugly with the badges now.

Aiya...just mandate law that all buildings in Singapore must be painted certain color range, maybe whitish color.

Then next time soldier can just wear white singlet, cooling and most blend in with the buildings.

Make the Sar21 in white color too, it will be cool to carry a white gun.

We have to constantly improve....that pixel pattern has its function of camouflage in this digital war of today. War today are fight using electronics such as night vision, high altitude camera, long range bino, and such equipment rely heavily on electronics to give clear display. Such pixel do have a means to fool the interpretation.

Waste money or not, we need to spend to upgrade or our neighbours will just take over the rock without even going to court with us. They will just threaten us for anything with water and reclaim land. It's a deterrent that we must have to survive. We are an island.

We just need to do our part and leave the planning to the guys with stars and crabs. There are so many integration within the whole of SAF and common soldiers like us will not have the full picture.

There is a reason for everything we buy and do, to be a fighting force that warrants respect from other forces.

Edited by Cklasse