Magnifying glass
  • Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
76 replies to this topic | 0 praises

Posted 20 September 2008 - 09:17 PM

Tyming
  • Tyming
    1st Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

What is this VVTI gear? My toyota is 3 rd old, yesterday while driving suddenly the engine indicator light on. I sent to BM for checking and said is VVTI gear spoilt. Need to change at S$800 !!!. Luckily my wife I argue and they give free since I service during the warranty period and the car got problem after few days out from the warranty.

IS the VVTI gear easy to spoil? The customer service said is due to poor maintenance. I told him that all my maintenance are from Toyota...he just keep quiet and say...aiyah sometimes it happened. Got like that meh?

Posted 20 September 2008 - 09:27 PM

Mercuri
  • Premium member
    Mercuri
    2nd Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

i also have an altis. age around 3.5yrs old.

could you share your driving habbit? are you the sort who will "floor acclerator" on green light kind? tongue.gif

i am rather light footed. so far did not encounter anything like this? lipsrsealed.gif

Please provide more information on this VVTi gear that you mentioned so that i can take note of what symptom to watch out for should it occur.

Thanks!
test...

Posted 20 September 2008 - 10:45 PM

Powerhouse
  • Powerhouse
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

Did you change your gearbox ATF as schedule? Toyota ATF Fluid last 40,000KM, but I always change at 30,000KM.
VICTORY belongs to the man who, believe the most and the longest.

Posted 20 September 2008 - 10:49 PM

Iliketodrive
  • Iliketodrive
    Banned

vvti got nothing to do with gearbox
they say, how fast can u chiong on singapore road??
they are very wrong about it.
the truth is, how fast u dare to chiong on singapore road.
i hit over 200.

Posted 20 September 2008 - 11:08 PM

Fcw75
  • Fcw75
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I dun tink he meant gearbox at all. He probably meant the VVTI gear in the engine, some sort of gear that activate VVTI?

Edited by Fcw75, 20 September 2008 - 11:09 PM.

Posted 20 September 2008 - 11:18 PM

Route88
  • Premium member
    Route88
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

Maybe its the VVT pulley or oil solenoid spoil
What is the most effective way to control the world?
"MIND CONTROL"

We are being hypnotised and brainwashed !!! 

Posted 21 September 2008 - 12:09 AM

Iliketodrive
  • Iliketodrive
    Banned

did you change your gearbox ATF as schedule? Toyota ATF Fluid last 40,000KM, but I always change at 30,000KM.

this guy is talking about gearbox loh

Edited by Iliketodrive, 21 September 2008 - 12:09 AM.

they say, how fast can u chiong on singapore road??
they are very wrong about it.
the truth is, how fast u dare to chiong on singapore road.
i hit over 200.

Posted 21 September 2008 - 12:09 AM

Watwheels
  • Premium member
    Watwheels
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Maybe due to wear & tear. Your VVTi are managed by camshafts or some some call it rocker cam on the shaft. At the end of the shaft it's connected by timing gears and timing chain/belt. I suppose your mechanic is referring to such gears.

On the first pic is most likely the type which Toyota engine runs on: timing chain, and the gears are actually what we call sprockets. The shafts they are connected to are the camshafts or your VVTi.

The second pic is on timing belt and timing gears which are much broader in width to accommodate the belt(not very clear, hope u can see)
The chosen one will bring balance to the Force...I mean Singapore. Even star wars do not reserve "the chosen one" to a sith lord or a jedi or a wookie.

Posted 21 September 2008 - 12:25 AM

Watwheels
  • Premium member
    Watwheels
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

What your customer service said is not wrong. Yes all your maintenance is done at AD but U as the car owner should monitor the lubrication aka engine oil level.

I can understand what they face when dealing with customers who have no idea of what they are talking about. But hey that is not all bad, at least u get them replaced for free or under warranty...
The chosen one will bring balance to the Force...I mean Singapore. Even star wars do not reserve "the chosen one" to a sith lord or a jedi or a wookie.

Posted 21 September 2008 - 03:26 PM

Powerhouse
  • Powerhouse
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

I did not mention toyota gearbox is VVTI. U tell that to TS, he assume gearbox is VVTI. Thanks. its the engine(VVTI)

Posted 22 September 2008 - 09:56 AM

Tyming
  • Tyming
    1st Gear
    Author Image

Its not the gear box, just the VVTI gear in the engine. I only realise it when I have the engine indicator light on. Does not feel anything wrong with my car. I am not the speedo type of driver. Also not speeding in MY too laugh.gif . Only thing is whenever I am back MY, I usually have a HEAVY LOAD cargo back to SG. sweatdrop.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif .

I do usually monitor the engine oil. My car is 100% service by BM and i usually just follow the package that they given me. So far the BM never say anything wrong with my car. The only thing is I mostly service my car at the woodlands centre. I do experience the servicing level is not that good compare to the main service centre but that's the nearest to my home.

I will just manually check my car about 1-2 weeks on the oil, etc. My car only been to Genting Highlands once.

I just want to know what I need to keep track on top of the usual BM service and manual checking. What's the cause of the problem?

Posted 22 September 2008 - 10:11 AM

Babyt
  • Babyt
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

hi there,

few years ago, my dad owned an altis too. the engine light lited up while driving and when it does, u will notice a drop in gear power and can feel 'hollow' when accelerating.

Sent to BM twice to get it solved free w warranty. the car was just few mths old at that time. quite disappointed coz its supposed to be toyota! first time they said fixed but it didnt so second time they said they changed the gear and i can see many colorful markings on the engine and parts...i guess they really did a throughly check.

Posted 22 September 2008 - 06:01 PM

Mongater
  • Mongater
    Clutched
    Author Image

Those agents normally will change more then they do.. single componet faulty, they change the related item as well.. My friends are all service adviser in C&C ,Opel and Honda, they told me that! Properly is one of your EFI closed loop sensor screwed-up.. your variable valve sensor?
Cannot be the damn gear gone.. those are manufacture to last.. unless you are a crazy driver!

Posted 22 September 2008 - 09:00 PM

Powerhouse
  • Powerhouse
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

Require a OBD scanner to read out the fault code. Engine check light on is not a kidding matter.

Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:40 PM

Stooky
  • Stooky
    6th Gear
    Author Image

My friend's Altis also encounter this problem few months ago. His bought his Altis only last year. He was quite disappointed as his previous 6 year old Corolla, the last batch of Japan made Corolla brought in by BM is problem free, although he doesn't send it for servicing regularly

Thai quality is really that lousy?

Posted 23 September 2008 - 09:11 PM

Newcar
  • Premium member
    Newcar
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

Well... well... well....

It is all depends on luck...
lipsrsealed.gif
To me, if the break down is mainly due to wear and tear... so called consumable.. just accept it. tongue.gif

But, if item is having pre mature faulty...! Just said bo bain liao..! blush.gif

Mine Tom Yam Altis is just a lives example..! thumbsdown.gif

To date, spending almost S$1.5K just for pre mature break down of ABS Brake Actuator and Front Wheel bearings.

The most, important is got to know a trusty workshop whom is capable of diagnose and repair..... rather than some others.... really deserve a rifle.gif

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:25 PM

Powerhouse
  • Powerhouse
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

I think the workmanship, quality inspection standard is not so strict as Japan. Japanese takes their work very seriously and with pride. I am also driving a thailand assembled toyota, the standard of work is really shakehead.gif shakehead.gif

Posted 26 September 2008 - 12:39 PM

Darth_mel
  • Darth_mel
    Supercharged
    Author Image

What is this VVTI gear? My toyota is 3 rd old, yesterday while driving suddenly the engine indicator light on. I sent to BM for checking and said is VVTI gear spoilt. Need to change at S$800 !!!. Luckily my wife I argue and they give free since I service during the warranty period and the car got problem after few days out from the warranty.

IS the VVTI gear easy to spoil? The customer service said is due to poor maintenance. I told him that all my maintenance are from Toyota...he just keep quiet and say...aiyah sometimes it happened. Got like that meh?

The word VVTI is already a hint...."Very Very Terok Inside"

男人有钱会变坏,女人变坏会有钱。

http://darthmel.blogspot.com/

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:27 PM

Hingon
  • Hingon
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

It happened to me today, and no choice got it changed at BM a few hundred dollars. Just want to check with you guys, how often will have this happen?

Posted 17 November 2010 - 12:20 PM

Crazecow
  • Crazecow
    4th Gear
    Author Image

I dun tink he meant gearbox at all. He probably meant the VVTI gear in the engine, some sort of gear that activate VVTI?

Yes, VVTi is a set of gears operated by hydraulic pressure to adjust the cam phasing. Its still attached to your timing belt/chain and uses this to turn the camshaft.

Yes, I did heard about premature VVTi failure that causes the camshaft to be locked in one position. ITs not a big deal because it won't spoil the engine. Just that you wont' get optimum power and FC. But $800 to replace it isn't cheap...... But I guess AD is like that one. Perhaps the VVTi unit can be taken apart to replace individual parts but they usually just replace the whole module.

Posted 17 November 2010 - 12:33 PM

Lala81
  • Lala81
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

thankfully my tomyam altis still ok. 2.5yrs.

Just did my 40k servicing. Only issue thus far is a creaking suspension coil, just swapped out.

Interestingly though, 5 yr warranty is becoming the norm for BM.
Ironic when older toyota's are more reliable.

According to my SE then, I believe that thaiyotas still have their engine assembled in japan & the rest of the car is assembled in Thailand.

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:33 PM

Avragoh
  • Avragoh
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

2009 Altis giving off cranking noise while accelerating off from traffic light (occasionally). have to floor more accleration for the noise to go off. Have replaced transmission fuel and engine air filter but problem persist.

Could it due to gearbox issue?

How can the problem be solve? appreciate the advice from members here.

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:52 PM

Rncw
  • Premium member
    Rncw
    Supercharged
    Author Image

2009 Altis giving off cranking noise while accelerating off from traffic light (occasionally). have to floor more accleration for the noise to go off. Have replaced transmission fuel and engine air filter but problem persist.

think its best to go to BM to ask them coz they're probably in a better position to tell you whats wrong....
we must fight, to run away!

"Ayu-chan, if I cannot be your husband, I'll be your step-father..."

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:36 PM

Camrysfa
  • Premium member
    Camrysfa
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

could be air-con belt noise

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:42 PM

Avragoh
  • Avragoh
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

Following members' advice here, managed to send the car to borneo motors. Just driving and hearing the noise, the serviceman identified the problem as engine knock and there is nothing that can be done to eliminate the problem.

It seems the problem has compromise the fuel efficiency of the car.

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:09 PM

Limpeh23
  • Premium member
    Limpeh23
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

Following members' advice here, managed to send the car to borneo motors. Just driving and hearing the noise, the serviceman identified the problem as engine knock and there is nothing that can be done to eliminate the problem.

It seems the problem has compromise the fuel efficiency of the car.

I suggest you get a second opinion at a trustworthy workshop outside before deciding what to do. The serviceman's diagnosis seems a bit dodgy.

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:11 PM

Rezorn86
  • Premium member
    Rezorn86
    5th Gear
    Author Image

next gen Toyota altis, shld b coming next year. but rear feel like jaguar xf and front like vios.

http://www.youtube.c...ayer_detailpage

Edited by Rezorn86, 15 August 2013 - 06:12 PM.

The Stig's Singapore Cousin!!
I Love Lada!!

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:32 PM

Toothiewabbit
  • Premium member
    Toothiewabbit
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

next gen Toyota altis, shld b coming next year. but rear feel like jaguar xf and front like vios.

http://www.youtube.c...ayer_detailpage

Back quite nice

Front not nice

Interior looks plasticky

Forget about day running lights feature from BM

Yet, many many people sure buy wan laugh.gif

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:45 PM

Tantang18
  • Tantang18
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

My friend's Altis also encounter gear problem. Toyota quality has dropped.

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:57 PM

Blackyv
  • Premium member
    Blackyv
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

My friend's Altis also encounter gear problem. Toyota quality has dropped.

Yup, another my friend's ......... ... laugh.gif

Back to Maintenance & Repairs  ·  Aftermarket Top Reply to this topic
Dynamics Mechanic Pte Ltd

Quick Reply

Tags: Toyota, Altis, VVTI, Gear and 1 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users