Creative School Punishments

Ahtong

i spent my growing up days kena caned countless times and made to stand on chair for hours at a stretch..all for misbehaving..

and i think i'm gonna let my child go thru the same thing..

↡ Advertisement

One of my teacher.. Taught Physics for all sec 4 class..

He was a NCC(land) LTA, and it so happen that my class, quite a number of my classmate are from NCC.. So it become, "ALL NCC LAND SERGEANTS right?? Knock it down 20".. laugh.gif Luckily I am not from NCC Land..

And another, he grabbed a student's collar and smashed him into the NCC Air notice board.. Glasses broke, blood flow, other teachers came to calm him down.. WWF style.. Nobody dared to get on his nerve from then on..

I think bro threeleggedman and Nuhrizu may know which teacher i am talking about.. laugh.gif I saw the 2006 yearbook, he is still teaching there.. Just that he is plumper than 10 years ago..

i feel that parents these days are over protective over their kids. I mean, at such young age, you wanna talk reasons with them? I guess the cane will do the trick and send the message across faster. The impt thing is to convey the rationale of the punishment after the caning. That should instill some discipline.

I grew up under the cane from my mum, teacher, principal. Music teacher can slap my back and thighs with her bare hands, leaving the hand mark. Books can fly downstairs for not doing correction properly. My teacher can pull my shirt until my buttons fell off. I think I turned out ok in the end.

Seriously, Im all for caning.

ya man..discipline is the best..as long as at the end of the day, the message, especially the rationale gets across..

now i'm glad that my parents used the cane on me..or not, i think i'm gonna end up as a good-for-nothing person..

so next time for sure i will use cane on my kids..

well, the problem with parents these days is that most of them think the education system owes them big time...

hence.. every small little thing, the easiest way out? complain to moe.... [shakehead] seriously, i think its not the way.. i am not saying corporal punishment is right, but appropriate punishment being meted out to deserving students will send out the right signals...

unfortunately, i am afraid we have many parents thinking overwise... their mentality is such that even i myself do not discipline my kids (i.e. caning, scolding and etc)... so if the schools were to scold, or cane the kids.. they would make a big whohaa....

well, they may win by complaining straight to moe.. but i thought to myself who would have the last laugh when their kids grow out to be ..... i think there is no need for me to elaborate anymore.. MCF forumers, do ponder over this...

for me, i am all for punishments and caning to my kids when i think they need some discipline.. i will convey the message across to my kids when i do need to punish them for their wrong doings....

thanks shull and other forumers who share exact sentiments.

That is why i am surprised he is still teaching there.. laugh.gif Outside the principle office somemore..

But then last time kenna whacked by teacher not like now.. Student will not complain to parents.. I have many friends who will kenna caned by their parents for another round if they know they kenna punished by teachers.. So all diam diam.. sweatdrop.gif

Primary School - Female teacher ordered two boys (can't remember exactly 1 or 2 boys) to strip another naughty boy of his shorts. Not successful though if i recall correctly, as the boy was struggling madly.

Secondary School - Boxing ring set up in school and 2 "gangster" boys caught fighting were told to fight in the boxing ring.

lemme just share how frighten teachers are of parents nowadays, base on personal experience.

Was talking to my son (P1) one evening and he mentioned that his form teacher punished him by making him stand at the back of the class for talking during lesson. He seemed pretty nonchalant about it and that disturbed me. I asked him for more details but he was unable to provide. He just glossed over it. Well, I wanted to probe further. So, I wrote a note to his form teacher politely asking that she give me a call as I wanted to know more about him being punished.

I wish that I could have recorded his teacher's voice when she called me. She sounded so scared! Her voice was soft, shaky, and quivering. If I had met her face-to-face, I bet that she would have been [sweatdrop][sweatdrop][sweatdrop][sweatdrop] and she would have avoided eye contact!

I could literally hear the relief in her voice when I told her that I supported her decision to punish my son. I told her I wanted more details, so that I can also reinforce what she expects from my son at home.

Question: Have we turned all our teachers into mice?

My dad presented my teacher with a cane on my 1st day in P1, and told her not to be afraid of using the cane on me, and he did the same thing till I was P6!!! (not that I was a rebel or anything--many of my classmates' parents did the same)

I think that many parents nowadays have got it all wrong. They are busy people. They send their children to school, expect the teachers to inculcate values , manners, morals into their children WITHOUT DISCIPLINE! Our parents expected the same from our teachers, but WITH DISCIPLINE. I think our parents expected us to be disciplined anyway [laugh] . It was part and parcel of life.

So, to all those who are parents in here...dun spare the rod! However, do explain to your child why he/she is being punished.

Nowadays, whenever a teacher is complained by the parents for disciplining their kid, the teacher will be send for counseling instead. Their record may also be tainted, thus affecting their promotion aspects etc.

I still believe the teaching "Spare the rod and spoil the child". Better intricate in him or her the required discipline or it may turn out worse

i think these days, teachers no longer have the authority to discipline the kids. If not, over protective parents will also have some creative ways to punish the teachers and the school.

i think at most the misbehave ones will be asked to sit near the blackboard.

True Bro......nowadays..........if the students keep doing anything wrong will go COULNSELLING......last time where have this thing ah........once sent to higher management lines will be at buttocks liao...........and u scold them a bit only, parents will come down n complain to everyone in the school and MOE........

Hmm.. seems that quite a number of us supports the cane.. so how come the education disciplinary system has evolved so much in just a decade?

Trying to be so called humane is a joke. It only spoils the child. To put it bluntly, the way to teach a child is like how i train my dog. Reward when something is done right, wack when he does bad. At that age, I think reward and punishment is the easiest way to teach them. Only when they reach higher sec level, then you talk reason.

The key is not to beat indiscriminately. I think that is how some rebellious children comes about.

I guess nx time, i will do what laoahpek's dad did. First day of sch, bring a cane for the teacher. Main purpose of that is to 1) show to the teacher that i support her 2)Deter my kids from misbehaving in the first place.

I feel that probably parents these days spoils their kids because they are always so busy at work. And with that little time they spend with the kids, the last thing they want is to be punishing them. So it comes from some guilt conscious? I dont know.

you can't even do that anymore!!! The teacher will stare at you in shock and be so aghast that she/he will choke.

Kids will be kids. They will always test the boundaries. Itz up to the parents to set and enforce the boundaries.

I remember the Brycream days when we lined up to get caning from teachers. We'll rub our hands on our head cos we apply Brycream before going to school, expecting to be caned anyway. The illusion is that the cream will 'make' the cane slip and it will not be too painful as you get caned. Then after we go back to our seats, we'll bring out those little bottles of green medicated oil and rub them on our hands. The provision shop besides our scholl sure did good biz with those medicated oil [laugh][laugh]

What have SG change [shakehead][shakehead][shakehead] I pity the teachers nowadays.......... Sh1t job n not like last time Noble Job.

Now my girl is still young so i have not resort to cane yet but i do foresee prob when she go to sch, spoilt rotten by grandparent. Lucky she still scare of me when i stare at her [laugh]

Well, no need to stand up, too obvious, wait parents walk by can see their precious child being made to stand for punishment. So SQUAT lor, u r lower when u squat, no one from the outside can see u so obviously. Dun think squat is easy ok, u try squating for 30mins straight, when u stand up, ur legs will be weak and wobbly, very funny one [laugh]

i see before teacher use wooden meter rule to rap my classmates on the top of their head.

not so long ago (abt 15 yrs ago or so), teacher was still king [sweatdrop]. we might have been naughty then, but we respected our teachers. [nod]

in secondary sch, i kena something like banishment, but long-term leh. made to sit alone at the front of the class [blush]

Ouch. Your story is hardcore.

What do you guys think about old school punishment? Was it character building or emotional trauma?

IMHO, it's character-building if one takes it the right way.

but unless it's unjustified (note, NOT "unjustifiable". that would be a matter of opinion) [sly] punishment, it won't be emotional trauma la..

↡ Advertisement