Creative School Punishments

Ahtong

i spent my growing up days kena caned countless times and made to stand on chair for hours at a stretch..all for misbehaving..

and i think i'm gonna let my child go thru the same thing..

the teachers these days not so hiong. so ur children wun get the privilege of that [laugh]

↡ Advertisement

i think it's only human that teachers will be scared and thus relax on discipline, to avoid complaints.

as long as their class can get ok results, do admin work properly, pay correct sir...

but even today, i heard of hiong teachers. can scold their students vulgarities, curse them to go and die, etc etc. [dizzy]

some how i think depends on sch..

i have many friends who are teachers. (many so jaded already)

From what i heard, those teaching in neighbourhood sch stil pull the student's ear, scold them etc and these students actually take them in good heart..

What is the prob is the so called top sch.. the parents are rich, powerful and atas.. no one dares to do any thing to these future elites. I can imagine the schmuck when the parents drive into the sch with a Jag and storms to the common room to bang table..

Some teachers really want to make a difference, but if the system is not to protect them, sooner or later they will give up and hack care. So we will have more and more teachers who are there simply for the salary. How sad can that get.

I remember that time i kena cut hair by the discipline master during sec 2. (dunman high, Mr Kiw, famous among those hair salons in katong).

He will cut my hair ON ONE SIDE ONLY until damn short. Then say nonchalantly " Go ask your hairstylist to complete the other side.) Imagine my fringe can touch my lips.. he used a scissor and cut them near the scalp. [bigcry]

Edited by Chrispie

I am replying to myself because this is a general reply to many post.

I myself am ambivalent towards old school punishments. I consider it fair to cane a student or make him stand if he misbehaves or do shoddy work. However, making students walk around with socks around the neck, whacking their lunch with a broom or headbashing them is simply unacceptable. If anything, it shows the teachers are on a power trip or mentally deranged.

Anyway, back to topic, I had this CL2 teacher in primary school who would walk into class with a cane tucked into his bag . If you failed spelling or made the same mistakes, you stood before the class and let him cane your hand. One very brave soul pulled his hand back at the last moment, causing the teacher to hit himself. [laugh] The rest of us want to laugh but don't dare laugh.

lemme just share how frighten teachers are of parents nowadays, base on personal experience.

Was talking to my son (P1) one evening and he mentioned that his form teacher punished him by making him stand at the back of the class for talking during lesson. He seemed pretty nonchalant about it and that disturbed me. I asked him for more details but he was unable to provide. He just glossed over it. Well, I wanted to probe further. So, I wrote a note to his form teacher politely asking that she give me a call as I wanted to know more about him being punished.

I wish that I could have recorded his teacher's voice when she called me. She sounded so scared! Her voice was soft, shaky, and quivering. If I had met her face-to-face, I bet that she would have been [sweatdrop][sweatdrop][sweatdrop][sweatdrop] and she would have avoided eye contact!

I could literally hear the relief in her voice when I told her that I supported her decision to punish my son. I told her I wanted more details, so that I can also reinforce what she expects from my son at home.

Question: Have we turned all our teachers into mice?

My dad presented my teacher with a cane on my 1st day in P1, and told her not to be afraid of using the cane on me, and he did the same thing till I was P6!!! (not that I was a rebel or anything--many of my classmates' parents did the same)

I think that many parents nowadays have got it all wrong. They are busy people. They send their children to school, expect the teachers to inculcate values , manners, morals into their children WITHOUT DISCIPLINE! Our parents expected the same from our teachers, but WITH DISCIPLINE. I think our parents expected us to be disciplined anyway [laugh] . It was part and parcel of life.

So, to all those who are parents in here...dun spare the rod! However, do explain to your child why he/she is being punished.

geez, i guess so many forumers are reading this thread but refrain from commenting.. as i believe they form the majority of the other half who advocate that their kids are kings of the school...

one forumer's suggestion is good.. for me, think maybe during meet the parents' session, i will make it a point to highlight to the form teacher that please punish my child if he does misbehave and etc.... i will support the teacher for valid reasons...

come on parents, we were all brought up with the traditional way.. i believe sparing the rod isn't a good thing to do... i certainly dun spare the rod on my two darlings.. i will make sure they jolly learn their lessons and know what they are being punished for...

so what if the parents are highly educated? i have a MBA from NBS, but that does not make me any different from the rest... perhaps in terms of pay and future prospects bah... i was brought up with a good discipline and my parents actually told the teachers last time not to go soft on me [wave]

Neutral Newbie

During secondary school, our History teacher would punish us by asking us to go under the table and stay there. Our Maths teacher will use his knuckles to knock on our head. Very bad.

Neutral Newbie

I am a Dunmanian too.... I have visited Kiw's Saloon twice during my secondary school days.... lol, he had a comb with a razor blade embedded, he used the comb to comb down my hair and its gone!! WTF!! [hur] Moreover, I was the flag raiser during secondary 3 and Mr Kiw stands beside me daily... really [sweatdrop]

wah kao stress siah.. which batch you in?

Im the 92-95 batch, located at the old dunman road premise. Miss that place so much..

And yah, he will burst our basketballs if we are caught playing in sch uniform and not PE attire..

Btw, i kena both scissor and blades before.. haha

Boy was beaten on his backside with a ruler at childcare centre

两头ä¸å°å²¸ã

cannot reach a compromise.

already a police case why Stomp still keep pastering the principal?

already a police case why Stomp still keep pastering the principal?

quite a difficult choice ... don't punish the boy, the girl's parent will say the school cannot protect the girl.

punish the boy, the boy's parents say abuse.

but if principal chose option 1, school might lose the girl but school won't really get involved in the case and let parents settle btw themselves.

but principal chose option 2, so he might lose the but and get himself into sh!t as well.

lets see how the school or MOE gets creative for this case !!

Students attack classmate at Westwood Sec

A shocking video has been circulating online of a couple of students from Westwood Secondary School bullying one of their classmates.

In response to Stomp media queries, the school's principal, Mr Abdul Harris Sumardi confirmed the incident happened on Feb 9 and involved the school's students.

The school is aware of the incident on 9 February," he said.

"We have counselled the students involved and taken appropriate disciplinary measures. We are also working with their parents to help the students learn from the incident."

The video, which was posted on Facebook on Feb 15, has garnered over 100,000 views.

In the video, the boy who is recording the incident goads his other classmates to quickly "teach" one of their classmates a lesson.

He tells them in Malay to hurry up before their teacher comes back.

Two of the students start throwing chairs at a boy who is sitting at his table playing with his mobile phone.

One of the boys then walks up to him and starts punching and kicking him.

He then flips the boy's chair, shoving him to the floor.

He continues to punch and stomp on the boy before the one filming tells him that it is "enough".

lets see how the school or MOE gets creative for this case !!

Students attack classmate at Westwood Sec

A shocking video has been circulating online of a couple of students from Westwood Secondary School bullying one of their classmates.

In response to Stomp media queries, the school's principal, Mr Abdul Harris Sumardi confirmed the incident happened on Feb 9 and involved the school's students.

The school is aware of the incident on 9 February," he said.

"We have counselled the students involved and taken appropriate disciplinary measures. We are also working with their parents to help the students learn from the incident."

The video, which was posted on Facebook on Feb 15, has garnered over 100,000 views.

In the video, the boy who is recording the incident goads his other classmates to quickly "teach" one of their classmates a lesson.

He tells them in Malay to hurry up before their teacher comes back.

Two of the students start throwing chairs at a boy who is sitting at his table playing with his mobile phone.

One of the boys then walks up to him and starts punching and kicking him.

He then flips the boy's chair, shoving him to the floor.

He continues to punch and stomp on the boy before the one filming tells him that it is "enough".

if the parents of the victim did not make police report or take legal action, then the school can only do the necessary discipline actions and counseling, if this happens in the elite school, sure sue [sweatdrop]

quite a difficult choice ... don't punish the boy, the girl's parent will say the school cannot protect the girl.

punish the boy, the boy's parents say abuse.

but if principal chose option 1, school might lose the girl but school won't really get involved in the case and let parents settle btw themselves.

but principal chose option 2, so he might lose the but and get himself into sh!t as well.

Its making a mountain out of a mole by parents nia.

Sad society though.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2