Monk assistant gets $37k fine for his prawn collection

Apollo

Home > Breaking News > Courts and Crime > Story Sep 23, 2008 Monk's ex-aide fined

He had more than 110 obscene films in two apartments.

By Elena Chong, Courts Correspondent

A FORMER aide to Buddhist monk Shih Ming Yi was fined a total of $37,500 on Tuesday for having obscene films.

Pang Leong Chuan, 27, a student, pleaded guilty to three charges under the Films Act. He had 84 obscene films at an upmarket condominium at The Cornwall at Cornwall Gardens, and 29 obscene films at his Tampines Street 32 home on Feb 18, 2008.

A party of Commercial Affairs Department officers raided the District 10 condominium and found Pang in a room and seized his laptop, two magazines and several DVDs and VCDs.

He admitted that the items, believed to be obscene or contain obscene materials, belonged to him.

More items were seized when officers went to his flat the same day.

Ming Yi, 46, former chief executive of Ren Ci Hospital and Medicare Centre, is one of five listed owners of the apartment in The Cornwall.

The other owners included the Foo Hai Ch'an Monastery, where Ming Yi was the abbot.

Pang had three other charges considered during sentencing by District Judge James Leong.

His lawyer, Madam Rosina Lau, said her client, a first offender, was truly remorseful for his act of folly, and regretted hurting and causing distress to those who loved him.

She said Pang planned to continue with his studies after the trial and be a law-abiding citizen.

After the fines were paid, Pang donned a cap, shades and a jacket over his white long-sleeve shirt and black pants before leaving the Subordinate Courts.

Meanwhile, Ming Yi's bail was upped by another $150,000 to $350,000 on Monday after the court granted him permission to leave jurisdiction.

His 10 charges under the Charities Act and Penal Code will come up for further pre-trial hearing on Oct 9.

-----------------

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNew...ory_281610.html

↡ Advertisement

and i dont know who just simply admit to cover who's backside so that no more worms being dig out from the open can.......we'll never know who is the actual owner of those prawn collection.... case closed...

btw, i find this sentense full of crap...

She said Pang planned to continue with his studies after the trial and be a law-abiding citizen. :::::pls tell me how law-abiding can one be when come to such stuff??? no more prawn movies purchasing/downloading and go geylang for the real thing since that is LEGAL!!,.. [laugh] 37K can go many round and somemore those high-end type , not those cheapo type, u know......[laugh]

Neutral Newbie

oooooooh..... What are you suggesting bro??... [laugh]

Sugar Daddy/Boss VS Horny Secretary

[laugh][laugh][laugh] How crappy can charity organisations get nowadays... [:/]

Maybe MCF can start one?

House Of Lonely

Requirement: Lonely local/FT babes

Benefits : Guaranteed Jobs (Commission basis, High Basic)

[laugh][laugh][laugh]

lol [laugh]

no lah, i'm just asking only...

of cos i hope he and ming yi is clean and open...

i have great respect for ming yi one... really hope my impression of him will not be dashed...

[dead][dead]

Not the main man's mah... But 27 years old still a student? Must be damn rich sia... Study so long ah?

people cannot take masters or phd meh?

Meanwhile, Ming Yi's bail was upped by another $150,000 to $350,000 on Monday after the court granted him permission to leave jurisdiction.

Why is there a need for him to leave the country?

↡ Advertisement